Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

Would you ask your Wife or Husband to be Tested 4 AIDS

Transmittance of HIV: that has nothing to do with SEX

1. Blood

2. Breast Milk

A mother who had HIV or A father...could transmit to their children (the kids didnt have SEX to get the disease)

YOur in surgery or donating blood and the needles are not sterilized properly or the blood hastn been screened properly...you could get HIV... again...no SEX

The virus can also travel across the placenta of a pregnant woman...

If you are a doctor, nurse there is a risk of contacting HIV from infected patients..

so many scenerious....pple..

Pujah   

I wonder if anyone that replied to this topic before has changed their mind (position ) on this issue?

Im about to get married and Inshallah we are planning to get tested. Though I have the higher risk of getting the disease than him due to my profession (Plus had a needle accident). I hate the waiting part.

A man came from Europe to get married in Somalia ,,, he met this lady and finally asked her hand to marry. She accepted and he started the process to inform his family and the family to inform the other family.

At the final stage, the lady insisted that they both has to go for a test before the engagement is done. He was not sure and tried to convince her that everything is gonna be Ok and he trust her and he knows himself that he is just fine. She insisted and he finally agreed.

They both went to the hospital ,, and guess what ??? ,,,,

SHE WAS POSITIVE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He WAS NEGATIVE

He never expected this and he almost died of shock ,,,,, he immediately purchased a ticket and flew back to Europe ,,,,

Malika   

WOL...Congratulations!! Pongezi litokalo moyoni kwangu!![hope my swahili makes sense..lol]

How long ago was the accident,and how long does it take to get results back home?Inshallah,all will be well sis.

HIV/AIDS is a reality which we can no longer afford to ignore, if one is embarrased to ask his or her new partner for a mere test, what sort of a beggining is that,its not accusing each other of promiscuous just a precaution..and forward thinking, if he or she is infected how do you deal with that, what sort of future do the two of you have etc etc..

JB,

It is possible especially in Africa where we use kits with buffers whichare also temperature sensitive. There are cases of both false positive and negatives.False positives, blamed on the buffers, quantity of blood droplets and also temperature swaying of the fridges due to power prolems. Ive also witnessed positives using the kits but when the confirmation test is done its negative.Diseases like malaria and Tb were the culprits. So, maybe that ladies results werent positive after all if the confirmation test(Elisa) wasnt done. A luxury these days in africa but a must do.

With negatives you are adviced to re-do the test after 6 months. Why? You can be in the window period, your body hasnt responded to the Virus in your body. So at the 1st reading a seronegative using a kit is not confirmatory. You really need to do the second to be sure. But with the positives they have to be checked with a reliable test(ELISA) before telling the person she/he is positive. In Tz 2 different kit tests are done - capillus and rapid then ELISA is done to confirm then your told Your POSITIVE. Wonder what they use in Somalia?

Asante Munira, it happened almost 6 months ago. A nurse pricked me when we had taken a blood sample from a neonate and she wsa putting it into a container, it was an accident. Serostatus of the mother and child werent known. So had to wait for 24hrs to know if they were positive or negative though my status had to be checked too,hospital protocol. The baby was very sick had bad chest and passed away before the results were out. In the morning I felt so bad, looking at the helpless mother telling her Alhamdullilah they were seronegative when she had just lost her Son- Kariim in the wee hours of the morning. :( I learnt later that the night team were gossiping about our mishap than paying an extra eye on the baby. I wonder how she felt.

I hated waiting for those 24hrs which was unnecesary. Another unprofessional move due to the fact that it was a weekend and the person concerned had locked the kits and gone with the keys. Alhamdullilah the results were a releif. Though,the physician on call was reluctanct to start me on the mandatory ARVs to be taken within the 1st 72hrs due to the negative results. "You will face side effects of the drugs which are worser than anything you can imagine". I still have to be screened after 6months of the incident. And, its drawing near. ;)

Pujah   

I think it's good idea to get tested before hand for your own sanity but what is the point of getting tested right before saying I do if you are already involved intimately? maybe this test should be performed before any intimate relationship....

Let's not act all shocked I am sure you've all seen those weddings where the bride is almost due

Ibtisam   

^^^That is a small Percentage, so it is not a norm.

Both of you should get tested. In Burco, The uluma were discussing whether it should be made compulsory for couples who wish to marry to get tested, I think it is a good idea. No sheek should perform the engagement with out the certificate in hand.

Aaliyyah   

I agree that the couple should get tested before they get married. It is just for health reasons, has nothing to do with trust.

wa salaamu alaikum

Som@li   

Couples should get tested before marriege, you have one life and should nnot take a risk!

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

At the final stage, the lady insisted that they both has to go for a test before the engagement is done. He was not sure and tried to convince her that everything is gonna be Ok and he trust her and he knows himself that he is just fine. She insisted and he finally agreed.

They both went to the hospital ,, and guess what ??? ,,,,

SHE WAS POSITIVE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He WAS NEGATIVE

He never expected this and he almost died of shock ,,,,, he immediately purchased a ticket and flew back to Europe ,,,,

^^Maybe she knew something ;)

No ,, actually she didn't know and she was saying she doesn't trust those ppl coming from europe and she wants to make sure he is negative ,,,, sadly she was positive

raula   

W of L-here in US...once the rapid test is done, they will do an ELISA or one of each..then the CONFIRMATORY test is WESTERN BLOT..but its not common since its time consuming and expensive. But every person has to get a western blot before they are confirmed POSITIVE.

Needle prick? subhanallah i would have died of shock. Alhamdulilah though they weren't positive (so sad for the mother for loosing her son though). But as you said, after 6mons, then tha's when you can verify if it was FALSE POSITIVE or not. This is when infections are high, since there are no symptoms yet (except minor flu like-since one's CD4 is @ high due to 'new infection') . ELISA test (in US) after 6mon can confirm a person is HIV+, since a person has this time developed antibodies.

Iam suprised they didn't start you on some prophylaxis within the 72hr window-side effects are much worse than coming to deal with the infection itself. Nevertheless, if its mere Direct/indirect ELISA-you haven't developed the antibodies yet,so it wont be a confirmatory test (but ofcourse they might use other kinds). Dont mean to scare ya but it would have occured to me to make sure. Here its standard..once a person is EXPOSED..they are started on prophylaxis like Combivir.

All in all iam glad you are fine-and i pray it comes back Negative-insha-allah.

**To the poster: MOST DEFINATELY. I have seen all walks of life (young, old, shy, bold(resentful of their promiscuous habits), pious(Allah s.w. knows best), etc) with these STI. And statistics point the prevalance to be AFRICAN WOMEN.

Chimera   

I wonder what i would do if the person i'm close to had HIV, i know her history so that's impossible but i would prefer dying young and happy with her than moving on in grief but damn i remember as a kid when me and my brothers played ball and pretended to be famous stars, every time i picked my hero Magic Johnson they said you will die of a disease one year from now this used to upset me but sh1t 13 years later Magic is still alive.......looooooooooooool

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

QacQaac, I am with you on this one bro...

Easier said than done, is the first thing that came to mind...

If you "REALLY" love someone, the last thing in your mind will be having him/her tested for HIV...

For those who say they will do, pls come back when you get married and let us know if you asked your husband/wife to be to go get tested and the outcome...
;)

Afkeyga caano iyo doolshe iyo oodkac lagu qabay...Waah waah waxaasaa camiraad eh ma isdhahdeen...

Hayeh, since October 2004, who got married and did you make you hubby or wifey take the teste... :D