Sign in to follow this  
AbStraCt

I wanna learn more!

AbStraCt   

I've recently become fascinated with Somali politics, however i know nothing about it! I know alot of sites are bias, and a handful dont give accurate information. So where should i start?

I wanna learn more, but googling isnt doing me any good.

Any Suggestions would help:)

Jacpher   

It's better that you leave it alone. Somali politicians have no principal and driven by greed, bigotry, arrogance, selfishness, dominance, and most of all ignorance. A wild animal is what comes to mind when you think of Somali politics.

If you want to educate yourself about the subject without being attached to it, read what non-Somalis wrote and few oo Alle u naxariistay. Don't just believe what every site reports. A large number of them are owned and operated by warlords though they claim otherwise.

AbStraCt   

I dont wanna read about the history, which is what non-somalis usually report about, i actually wanna get into the swines of it.....i wanna form my own opinion about it, but out of knowledge, not just what so and so says about so and so.

Ya dig?

Nephissa   

I'm sure Juma and Duke can dig it! Have a roundtable discussion with them first, and if you don't loose your brain cells in the process or die off of a heart attack(fingers crossed that you make it alive) you maybe able to draw your own conclussion about Somali Politics/Politicians & SOL Warlords. :D

Well Abstarct where should I start.

Generally before enquiring about a subject you have to study what it is made off.

If you want to know more about "Somali" Politics you have to aquire knowledge of its crucial internal players. After you have graduated I will introduce you into the external influential players aswell. But that's when you have progressed into the Advanced stage.

Somali politics isn't as primitive as some has suggested.

In order to make it easier for you I'll give you an insight into the hardcore players of the game called Somali politics.

House of Cards:

yusuf7.jpg

Influential play-maker of Somali Politics. He is a former President of Puntland and a military hardman. He hates chaos and wants to see Somalia returned to its former days. He was the first to start an armed struggle against the dictator ship of Siad Barre after a failed coup attempt in 1978. An oponent of lawlessness and corruption which he hates. Successfully established administrations. Leads by example. He is hardworking and doesn't drink, smoke or chew any khat.

He holds fast to his principle's. He isn't a political pragmatist and you can't bribe him with money. Elected president of the TFG in October 2004.

Has vowed to bring Somalia out of its chaos and to its former glory.

Critics say that he is a dictator and that he has got a tendency of political assassinations when you fall out with him although he is loyal until he becomes suspicious. He is very ambitious and works day and night to fulfill his goals right or wrong.

He is now in an advanced age of 71 although it is said that he is approaching his 90th birthday.

Struggled for 35 years to become the president of Somalia. He endured during that time hiding in bushes, sleeping in overcrowded houses and lastly but not least imprisonment by the Ethiopian officials.

Critics also claim that he is very close to Ethiopia. It is argued that they are his principle supporters.

He set up office in Jowhar in the upper Shabeele province only 90km north of Moqadishu the capital of Somalia arguing that the capital isn't safe to host the government and the President.

He has got a valid point taking into account that there were two failed assassination attempts at the life of the Prime minster of Somalia when he went to Moqadishu on two separate occasion earlier this year.

Murder, mass kilings, lawlessness have plagued the Somali capital for fifteen years since the dictator Marxuum Siad Barre was ousted from power in late 1990 by the USC a bunch of lawless thiefs who thrived on the looted properties of the fleeing government, private properties and national monuments such as the statue of great martyr of Mohamed Abdulle Hassan, statue of Hawo Tako who fought against the italians and the statue of Ahmad Gurey who fought a religious battle against the Ethiopians and portugese.

The USC forces reduced Moqadishu to rubble. They have also divided the city in 14 districts of lawless enclaves each district got a different ruthless warlord who operates this districts.

There are no local administrations warlords pay there militia by ordering them to establish illegal roadblocks and taking off money from the helpless populations many of them mothers with orphaned children. Often they have to endure rape and sexual abuse because they simply can't afford to pay off the militias every hundred meters or so because there are several roadblocks called isbaaro in Somali. It's like you going to school and every hundred meters you have to pay $10 or £10 to pass through the thugs that closed off the street you would eventually run out of money, which then you had to pay with you shirt, watch and trousers and macawiis because thugs take everything.

That's why the President can't go to Moqadishu and the people in charge like the lawlessness of the city and they don't want to see changes.

You see that's the main difference between the President and the thugs in Moqadishu.

Today there is a ministerial meeting of Igad member states taking place in Jowhar. This is a new trend because there wasn't an international conference taking place since the ouster of Siad Barre inside Somalia for a long time.

Jowhar the seat of the government has become a thriving town with a peace not seen in Somalia for the last fifteen years. Ministers go around the city without harrassment and armed convoy.

The city has been enlarged and I will post some pictures stay tuned.

Other politicians profiles will follow suit stay tuned.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by liibaan:

Yoonis, so far your analysis is not very "unbiased", I would say.

Yeah true, and that makes your note 110% biased... :D

SeeKer   

I gotta admit I am somewhat interested too. Apart from once in a while listening to the elders talk about politics I usually veer from that topic completely. Keep going Yoonis since you seem to be the only one providing information. :D

Baluug   

Originally posted by Jumatatu:

quote:Originally posted by liibaan:

Yeah true, and that makes your note 110% biased...
:D
Well come on, he might as well come out with it and just post it like this:

Originally posted by Yoonis Cadue:

Abdullahi Yusuf is the best Somali man ever to walk this earth. He doesn't do anything bad and it is possible that it is physically impossible for Mr. Yusuf to do any wrong. He is the man appointed to restore the hope that the USC monsters have wrought upon the whole of Somalia and the Earth blah blah blah...

At least he'd be telling the truth, right?

Cara.   

I'll say. After reading the little bio, I scrolled up to see if I missed a halo or little white wings on picture.

Notice how every negative comment is preceded by "critics say", but the sycophantic trite parts are presented as facts?

uchi   

Wow, i didnt know you were Abdulahi Yusuf's son. You seem to know alot.

He holds fast to his principle's. He isn't a political pragmatist and you can't bribe him with money.

^^ Really?? :eek:

Jumatatu   

^^Lool...! and may be he could explain how he,Yeey, endorsed a the signing of a deal worth $50m (remember it is only first phase) to guard the Somali seas to company that is either non-existant or wanted for fraud back in its origin country.

And this is just the tip of the ice-berg of his background deals.

House of Card

Yalahow%20as%20young%20man.1.jpg

Muuse Suudi Yalaxow a political pragmatist who was supported by Ethiopia some two and half years ago but who argues that Ethiopia is the enemy of Somalia although he enormously benefited from them in his earlier part of his career.

He doesn't have any special merits or qualifications whether academic nor military. A former driver for the Somali Interior Ministry is his only claim to fame.

Although he lately became of the crucious player in the game.

After he failed driving for the interior ministry and got the sack he went to the UAE to become a truck driver. Soon he was sacked too in the Emirates.

He returned a broken man and when the civil war broke out in Moqadishu he eagerly took up arms to contribute to the struggle of his people.

From this noble act of his he soon realised that he has got the talents to become a mass-murderer and leading youngster into battle.

Virtually unknown in the political landscape in Somalia he emerged from the shadows of Ali Mahdi and Aydiid who were fighting for control over Moqadishu.

He joined Ali Mahdi to become the military wing leader of south Moqadishu and the strong-man of Madina.

He became famous in the mid 90's for chasing out Aydiid forces out of South Moqadishu and therefore returning the traditionl lands of his ancestors namely Madina district of Moqadishu.

Suddenly he became more at ease and relaxed with his new lifestyle as a Warlord and proceeded with establishing illegal roadblocks in order to feed his hungry militia-men.

After Carta came into being in 2000 he joined the SRRC and became very closed to Abdullahi Yusuf the current President of Somalia.

He got money, ammunition and other logistics from the Ethiopians and Abdullahi Yusuf in order to prevent Carta from becoming more influential.

He prevented Arta from taking a couple of side streets from the hotel they were staying in.

He fought them with great enthusiasm as he did earlier in his career.

The official title that he proudly were's is that of an "Xaaji" because he hasn't got any other title.

In 2003 he suddenly became an opposition to his farmer allies namely the SRRC and the Ethiopians.

He was part and parcel of establishing the "Salvation Council of Somalia", which he later became it's head.

After Abdullahi Yusuf became President of Somalia there was a brief honey-moon period between the two after Yalaxow was made the Minister for Commerce but Yalaxow eventually turned against Abdullahi Yusuf.

Yalaxow is now a rebel minister who desperatly wants reconcilation with the government lad by prof. Gheedi and Col. Yusuf!