Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Are secessionist ready for change?

Somalia: "Somaliland" election heats up ahead of March vote

21 Jan 21, 2009 - 2:22:04 PM

HARGEISA, Somalia Jan 21 (Garowe Online) - Elections in Somalia's separatist republic of Somaliland are heating up ahead of the March 29 vote, when the breakaway region's next president will be elected, Radio Garowe reports.

Somaliland President Dahir Riyale was recently accused by fellow members of the ruling UDUB party of “illegally” naming a committee to organize the party’s upcoming conference to select a single nominee for the election.

Mr. Abdullahi Hussein Darawal, a former Somaliland health minister, held a press conference last week at Imperial Hotel in Hargeisa, the breakaway region’s capital and Somalia’s second-largest city.

“Riyale has used an authority he does not have by appointing an illegal committee, and [he] even made his deputy Ahmed Yusuf Yasin the chairman,” said Mr.Darawal while referring to Somaliland’s vice president.

Fellow UDUB member Ahmed Sandon Hassan, who held a joint press conference with Mr. Darawal, suggested that President Riyale is planning to “eliminate competition” within the ruling party.

Both Darawal and Sandon are seeking UDUB's party nomination for the presidential election in March.

Somaliland’s leader has not responded to the accusations.

2009 election

The upcoming election is a major test for democratic progress in Somaliland.

The breakaway republic has held parliamentary and presidential elections before, but the March election is an opportunity for the region to elect a new president who can lead the region in a new direction.

President Riyale is widely criticized for illegally extending the office term for the Guurti, the upper house of the bi-cameral Somaliland parliament.

In return, the Guurti gave Riyale an additional year in office after his five-year mandate expired in May 2008, in a move strongly condemned by the opposition Kulmiye party as unconstitutional.

The political crisis was resolved peacefully weeks later, but Riyale’s term-extension damaged the young democracy’s ambitious statehood agenda.

Ahmed Silanyo, the Kulmiye party chairman and Riyale’s likely opponent, is a rebel veteran who fought against the Gen. Barre regime in the 1980s when Riyale was an intelligence agent for military dictatorship.

If Silanyo loses the election, as he did in 2003 by a small number of votes, there are lingering concerns that an insurrection might erupt in Burao, the opposition stronghold.

With the Ethiopian occupation of Mogadishu coming to an end, and the Puntland parliament electing a new president, Somaliland is poised to embrace the wave of change that is gradually sweeping Somalia.

Source: Garowe Online

Emperor   

Don't expect, Riyaale will get it again for the third time

I hope he loses this time and my SL brothers will get to smell the ordour of change...

Mr Waraabe should win, what do you think :D

PS: Duke, throughout my presence in SOL this is the first time I see you post a topic regarding Somaliland, what are you up to ?

Well mr Emperor its just rayaales firs term he never won another presidential election only parliament election he won in 2005.

But let’s hope and see if we are going to see change. I think kulmiye can bring the nation together and will not let Ethiopia influence Somaliland politics . Like the udub administration does.

^^^ That's simply...Progress must be encourged everywhere in Somalia. ;)

On behalf of all Somalis everywhere, I wish my Marfish dwelling brethren, a peaceful election.

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

Emperor, the election of NW Somalia must be watched closely, we need change back there and Riyaale is up to something.

Keep an eye on things lads, they are Somali's after all.

Paragon   

Stop the enticing folks, it doesn't do any good for anyone.

Good luck with SLanders in the upcoming elections, and I hope they have a peaceful transition.

Somaliland will show you guys how a "democratic", "free", "fair" and trasnparent one-man one-vote elections is done. Just watch, learn and hopefully imitate us. ;)

As for if there will be a change in leadership, that is "caalimul qayb" only allah knows about it. But rest assured that, if a change comes, it won't be a "pre-determined" "cosmatic change" like the SSDF-clan enclave one. The party that wins the elections in Somaliland - it will be a hard won victory either way. :D

Poker   

^^^Faan is when you say something and cann't back it up. This is actually happening right now in Somaliland.