Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Somalia: Nomadic Individualism and...by the late Hon. Egaal

NASSIR   

Horn, The myth that Egaal referred to is the Land of Punt that the geographical setting of Somalia was part of, and of which we received as a credit from the records of ancient history of Egypt , nonetheless, he never discredited our roots as a myth but credited it as a firm belief if you look at his final statement.

Xoogsade   

CAAMIR, Why don't you link the rest of the info of the serfs?

I also hope you check the Yemeni tribal names and find out if there is one that has the name of the last name of those among somalis who claim to be Arabs. A good reason for me to believe such somalis have nothing in common with or have roots in Yemen. You might learn few things about that.

PS: Carabnimada qofkii rabo looma diidana. others don't see why it is important.

Gabbal   

PS: Carabnimada qofkii rabo looma diidana. others don't see why it is important.

It is not and if you really look around it is a non-issue, however, you cannot try to alter history and try whimsically to discredit a person's geneology simply because you want to conform it to fit your belief.

By the way certain branches of the Eritreans also, surprisingly, have that "last" name. What do you think about that?

Caamir-

I know and that is why I highlighted it in my first reply to Macruuf.

Xoogsade   

It is normal for other Somalis to ask for the proof of your claim. You shouldn't be insensed by their curiousity. They think it is funny/questionable gardarrabo haku ahaatee. Besides, most often those who claim to have Arab roots think such claim gives them special status among somalis. I think you know about that.

Think about a somali person who doesn't feel a bit arabic about him, and you who say is Arab in origin. What is the difference between you two today as somalis? can you tell what tribe a somali belongs to when you see him in downtown seattle? Alpha-Geeljire thinks somalis have nothing in common and his reply would be a resounding yes. It is ignorance engrained in some people's mentality that dirves a wedge between somalis. It seriously has nothing to do with who is who. Your family roots are your family roots. Sideedaba, you are who you are individually and you get no entitlement owing to your 36th father assuming he was from Syria.

Anyways, this is tiring. Arabism which equates tribalism has no place among somalis. Islamism yes, a yemeni, iraqi, syrian, egyptian who are obviously arabs will have no issues with a somali muslim person. I am assuming if you and your families kept to their roots(accepting that based on your insistence that you are arabs), we wouldn't have a talk about who is arab and who is not.

I hate these hypothetical debates that, at the end of the day, serve nothing save for more division amongst us. Soomaali waa Soomaali.

Regardless of what anyone says, writes or sings, I don't have a pint of Arab blood in my system. 100% Muslim? YES! 100% Somali? YES! 100% African? YES!

By the way certain branches of the Eritreans also, surprisingly, have that "last" name. What do you think about that?

True, sxb. When I heard about this, I was shocked but history is made to be ambiguous.

XOOGSADE -

Don't give up the fight, sxb. We ain't Arab. Period. If you're Arab, return to Yemen, fadlan. :D We have no home for people with identity crises!