Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

Earthquake hits East Africa

Jumatatu   

From The Standard

A strong earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale has hit East Africa.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the earthquake occurred in the Lake Tanganyika region about 55 km (35 miles) southeast of Kalemie, Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The epicenter is about 975 km (600 miles) South West of Nairobi, where a tremor was experienced. There was panic in Nairobi as scores of people evacuated buildings after the tremor hit the city. Staff at the Standard Group’s offices reported feeling faint as the earthquake shook the 17-storey I&M Bank Tower, which houses the media house.

And from the Nation

Tremor sparks panic in Kenya

Story by NJOROGE KINUTHIA

Publication Date: 12/05/2005

An earthquake has hit Kenya and the East Africa region.

In Kenya the tremor has been confirmed in Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret.

In Nairobi the earthquake occured at around 3.30pm (EAT). The tremor also shook Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda.

According to a preliminary report on the United States Geographical Survey website, the quake, of magnitude 6.8, occurred in the Lake Tanganyika region, between Congo and Tanzania.

People in major buildings in Nairobi were quickly evacuated as panic gripped the city.

"I felt dizzy and my chair was moving," said Daudi Gicheru who works in Nairobi . "I thought I was falling sick, but heard my colleague shouting that there was a tremor."

No damages or casualties have been reported so far