Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somali PM's brother-in-law shot dead in Mogadishu

MOGADISHU (AFP) - Gunmen in Mogadishu on Tuesday shot dead a brother-in-law of Somali Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi in one of five killings in the past 24 hours in the lawless capital, witnesses said.

Four heavily armed attackers followed Yusuf Mohamed Dhisow, a businessman, as he left his house in northern Mogadishu before overtaking him, blocking his car and opening fire, an AFP journalist witnessed.

A member of the prime minister's family confirmed that the husband of Ayan Mohamed Gedi was killed in the Bakara market, the main Mogadishu market in the south of the city.

"We do not know who is behind this killing, but it was apparently a planned execution," Abukar Gaal, one of the slain man's cousins, told AFP.

"We think he was targeted because of his relationship with the prime minister and there are widespread fears that government officials and their relatives are being targeted."

The high-profile death was one of five separate killings reported in Mogadishu in the past 24 hours.

The coastal city has seen a surge in attacks and fighting since joint Somali-Ethiopian forces ousted a powerful Islamist movement late last year.

Thousands of terrified residents have fled and dozens have died since the start of the year.

At least 10,000 people have fled violence in Mogadishu since the beginning of February, according to latest report from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

"It could be as high as 15,000 people," spokeswoman Molly McCloskey told AFP.

Somlia is now awaiting the deployment of an 8,000-strong African Union force to try to help the interim government restore order in Mogadishu.

The country has lacked an effective government since the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre.

Source: AFP, Feb 27, 2007

"We do not know who is behind this killing, but it was apparently a planned execution," Abukar Gaal, one of the slain man's cousins, told AFP.

The price of supporting the enemy. Wondering who is next?

Ebyan   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

"We think he was targeted because of his relationship with the prime minister and there are widespread fears that government officials and their relatives are being targeted."

Guilty by association, eh? What happened to the moral superiority the ICU claimed to have?! Here they are killing people for( hand on mouth)..their family-ties? This is disgusting and whoever did this is a complete coward. Illahay haa u naxariisto the deceased and may his loved ones suffering be eased. Amiin.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Violet:

Guilty by association, eh? What happened to the moral superiority the ICU claimed to have?! Here they are killing people for( hand on mouth)..their family-ties? This is disgusting and whoever did this is a complete coward. Illahay haa u naxariisto the deceased and may his loved ones suffering be eased. Amiin.

The report says "Gunmen"; it doesn't state the ICU was behind the killing. Even the cousins of the man killed stated they do not know who's behind it. Besides the ICU, there are other elements such as disgruntled warlords, criminal elements, iwm who are involved in the conflict. But what's clear is, the ICU targets only the occupiers and collaborators. The ICU leaders, especially Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, has stated and instructed the mujahideens to only target the occupiers and collaborators. I don't get your sudden rush to accuse the ICU.

May Yusuf Mohamed Dhisow rest in peace.

Ebyan   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by Violet:

The report says "Gunmen"; it doesn't state the ICU was behind the killing. Even the cousins of the man killed stated they do not know who's behind it. Besides the ICU, there are other elements such as disgruntled warlords, criminal elements, iwm who are involved in the conflict. But what's clear is, the ICU targets only the occupiers and collaborators. The ICU leaders, especially Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, has stated and instructed the mujahideens to only target the occupiers and collaborators. I don't get your sudden rush to accuse the ICU.
Okay..forget my accusation for a second, do you condemn or condone the killing of this man?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Violet:

Okay..forget my accusation for a second, do you condemn or condone the killing of this man?

If I am an insurgent, I wouldn't target civilians, including those closely related to the clan president or his cabinet members. Instead, I would focus and dedicate my energy on targeting the occupiers and armed collaborators (including those working as spies, informants, mercenaries, iwm).

Ebyan   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by Violet:

If I am an insurgent, I wouldn't target civilians, including those closely related to the clan president or his cabinet members. Instead, I would focus and dedicate my energy on targeting the occupiers and armed collaborators (including those working as spies, informants, mercenaries, iwm).
Thanks for the honest response. Civilians shouldn't be targeted no matter what. If only certain individuals on this forum had as much sense. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he was surreptitiously aiding and abetting the enemy, so fully deserving of getting plugged. Who else wants to take out Geedi the donkey whisperer's brother-in-law?

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

I'm sure he was surreptitiously aiding and abetting the enemy, so fully deserving of getting plugged. Who else wants to take out Geedi the donkey whisperer's brother-in-law?

Waad soo dhar dhigatay.

Peacenow   

Jacaylbaro, traitors should be given no sympathy. Once you do, you are on a slippery slope, and the enxt you know, you won't have a land anymore, and become like the Palestenians. Now, don't think for one moment, it will not happen.