Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

The President who does not...!

Haddad   

Originally posted by Amethyst:

Whats the significance of speaking Arabic?

Suffice to say it's the language of the Qur'an.

Shouldn't these Arabs know English?

That's a flawed reasoning. It's like saying there can be a xildhibaan who doesn't speak Somali. Shouldn't an Arab president know Arabic? Abdullahi Yusuf is one, and should speak it.

Originally posted by Haddad:

Shouldn't an Arab president know Arabic? Abdullahi Yusuf is one, and should speak it.

Who says he’s an Arab president?

Haddad   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Who says he’s an Arab president?

He's not? I thought only Arab presidents could attend the Arab League conferences or meetings.

Abdullahi Yusuf is an Arab president? So, technically, since Eritrea has an observer status at the Arab League, President Isaias Aferwerki is also an Arab? Do you guys need more people to join your race?

Where's the flawed reasoning? You're one confused kid. The Arab League isn't a cultural exchange program - its an organization of Mideast, North/East Africa nations with close religious, regional and economic ties.

Originally posted by Haddad:

He's not? I thought only Arab presidents could attend the Arab League conferences or meetings.

Arab league is, well, for the Arabs!

But you forgot that Somalis are either stubborn Africans who resisted any Arabization project or weak Arabs who became easy prey to the absorbing cultural assimilation of the Dark Continent! We’re in the Arab League and African Union and I wouldn’t mind if we could join Asian orgs as well. But don’t blame this poor old man for not speaking Arabic while most of us couldn’t!

P.S. His English proficiency is quite poor as well!

Fyr   

Are you being sarcastic or are you simply just misinformed?

Haddad   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

while most of us couldn’t!

I don't know about you, but most individuals I know have a working knowledge of how to understand and speak it (at least basically). The criteria should be those who have lived in Somalia at least until their teen ages.

OG_Girl   

^^Lol Juma..I remember A/qasim..his Arabic was so funny but anyways..who cares as long he understands...

On ther hand being " Arab league " member doesn't mean to be an Arab by race.. hmm I don't even know if there is an Arab race!!. It's geographicaly and policaly issues.

When the Prophet Muhammed was asked about Arabism, he said "Innama al

Arabiyatu al-lisan," meaning "an Arab is one that speaks Arabic."

So if you speak Arabic fluency then you are an Arab. :cool:

Salam

LANDER   

Originally posted by Fyr-Kanten:

quote: He's not? I thought only Arab presidents could attend the Arab League conferences or meetings.

Are you being sarcastic or are you simply just misinformed?
That is the peculiar nature of Djibouti and the defunct republic of Somalia's membership in the arab league. The only non-arab speaking countries to officially belong to the arab league seem to be the somali countries. I will not state this out of spite, but any reasonable person will likely come to the same conclusion; The only reason for those countries to have joined the arab league is to receive hand outs from wealthy arab nations. A good job of sucking up they have done in really pretending to be arab nations. (in the case of Djibouti) Introducing arabic as a formal language as well as french but leaving somali OUT, despite the fact that the great majority of the population speaks somali including many affars. To say arabic is useless, is wrong and I personnaly wish I spoke arabic if for no other reasons than it being the language of my prophet (pbuh). Nevertheless, one has to be aware of the systematic attempts in advancing a form of cultural imperialism. Being muslim and being arab or adhering to arabic culture and language should never be mutually exclusive.

Haashim   

War dadku dhib badanaa ay

War maad odayga iska daysaaniin aydun

war belaayo nin aan aragbaa ka sheekeeya

war dadkaan odayga maxaa laga siiyaa :rolleyes:

Ar duqa xaad ka rabtiin, minow af-carabi ku hadlo iyo minownan ku hadlinba madaxweynihiina mahoo

Ar duqa iska daayaan idin dhihi lahaay, walaxoow idiin soo shaqshaqaahe, mise kistiiyoow kaligiis isku koobay? xay tahay? walax dhallax xataa ma soo tuurin miyaa? :cool:

Wadhyaadha heen waadh odayga iska daaya, NOW, waadh odayga maxaa la idinka siiya, soow kan xitaa Xamar idiin daayay maaha oo xaggaa iyo Baydhabo qabtay. ;)

SOO MAAL   

Lander

Somalia and Djibouti are not the only non-Arab speaking countries in Arab League.

Comoros and Mauritania are also non-Arab speaking countries in Arab League.

Although Somali people might not be Arab by race like Egyptians, however Somali people share people a lot of things with there Arab brothers, more than any other race on the face of earth. Somali people are very close to Arabs culturally and religiously.

And in terms of language, Somali people can learn Arabic - the language of The Holy Koran - like the way they learned English.

Most Muslims are not Arabs, and there is no pride in being Arab, because Islam promotes equality and diversity.

And the fact that the Somali President Abdullah Yusuf doesn’t speak Arabic is not strange, because Mr. President shares 95% of Somali population who don’t speak Arabic. (Arabs were familiar with Somalia's unique situation, in 1974 when they accepted Somalia as a full member, because Arabs realized the fact that Somali people are very close to Arab people)

In 1974, Somalia made a extremely strategic move by joining Arab league, after Somalia experienced a political crisis in Africa, former OAU - Organization of African Unity (Now AU - African Union) bluntly supported Ethiopia’s claims over Somali territories. Also Ethiopia and Kenya formed military pact against Somali people. Somalia needed alliance at that critical era - the height of cold war.

At last, Somalia by joining Arab League, benefited culturally, financially, and militarily.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

We shouldn't be in the Arab league in the first place!!!

So, your idea is to deny Somalia the benefits of being a member of the Arab League? It's not like Somalia benefits the Arab League; Somalia isn't rich or militarily superior. Throughout the history of its membership, Somalia has recieved billions of dollars in various aid formats. Somalia didn't return any favor; the least it could have done was adopt Arabic for its alphabet; instead it refused and adopted a foreign alphabet.