Sign in to follow this  
hiba

Career ideas for a future mom!

hiba   

Hey girls

It seems to me in the time taht I have been a silent reader that ladies at SOL are very smart and are doing well for themselves career wise and it is so nice to see ma sisters making it for themselves. Girl Power!! lol

any ideas on what careers are really good for mothers.

I am 23 and one day I will get married and have kids. I want and thinking of getting into a career that is flexible to a mother's needs and pays well at the same time before i get married so transition is easier . I dont want to just sit in the house and abandon my work aspirations.

Something that will allow me to be independant and a good mother at the same time. What kind of jobs are good for that. Needs to be good dosh LOL

How about becoming a grade school teacher, this way your children can enroll in the same school as your work. Its very rewarding career,good benefits, decent living,and I think the world of teachers. (not necessary grade school teacher,I just used it as an example. You can became elementary teacher, you can become high school teacher etc)

Another way of looking at it is, if you had another career path, you will have to struggle finding time off same as your children, especially holidays etc. This way summer vacations, you can spend it together, and you know the summer season, thats when most children get into trouble, atleast I did. This way you get to keep an eye on them and all that bonding you will have with them? Priceless

Another reason to become a teacher is, if one day somali goes back to being what it use to be, you can take that back home and many more children will benefit from it. You will feel good about it, believe me. There are so many options open for you in that field, i.e teaching at college, uni level.

If you are thinking about becoming a teacher or if you thought of becoming one, I can recommend a quick way of accomplishing that. Let me know what you decide on.

^^^, lol no, che, I don't hate children.

It can only go two ways with children who attend same school that their parents work.

They will either become very popular, or real threat that no one will talk to them. I mean, having the mom for a teacher, has its advantages more so than its disadvantages.

I was friends once with the girl who was the daughter of the Vice Principal, that meant I was hanging out and having snacks and drinks and sometimes lunch with my Vice principal, it meant I had to behave yes, but it also meant I couldn't get pulled from the hallway for not tucking my shirt either, not as often as everyone else che, so yes, being the kid of a teacher had its advantages, in this case, being the the friend of the vice-principal's daughter also had its advantages. Anyways, my point is being a teacher is awesome.

It depends on what you are qualified in and what YOU would like to do. I don't think there are specific careers for moms. What you need to look at is the company you want to work for and their employee policies.

If you have a permanent contract and your organisation has family-friendly policies, you'll be able to take time off to look after your child and then come back to your position and salary when you are ready. If you do go back to work earlier than you would like, then there is flexible working, where you can share your job with somebody else, reduce your hours or work from home.

The possibilities are endless. You just need to choose your workplace with care.

Being a mum doesn't mean you need to take up working with children as a career.

hiba   

I am not really keen on children related careers

lol

It seems that the need for flexibilty would mean low pay - often does right

Valenteenah - id like to know examples of companies with family friendly policies. You dont really often know just 'how' friendly they are until its too late.

And they usually would boast it for diversity/equality reasons but boasting and implementing is two different things

maybe...i dont know

Pujah   

Working mom doesn’t mean working with kids. There are number of careers that allow flexibility that any mom or dad could enjoy…like working from home or working non-traditional hours some companies even offer time-sharing. Or you can always open your own business and work whatever hour pleases you. In any case the point I am trying to make here is that its not necessary for you to look for careers that involve kids if that is not your forte. So go with your desire and do something you wont mind working with the next 40 years or so…and work around the difficulties that come with child rearing.

Johnny B   

A Child nursery career, a Day-care center cheif to be exact is the advice i( sister JB ) can give to sister Hiba, thus agree with sister NGONGE. :D

^ LoL..Sister NGONGE and Sister JB probably want to open their own Day-care centre so they can hit on all the yummy mummies, innit?

Hiba,

Large corporate organisations, Local Authorities and Central Government Offices all probably have good employee policies.

I know at my place, they really encourage staff to maintain a good work/life balance. Also, some of the women in my dept have been there for decades, I'm talking between 15-25 years!

They have had their kids and watched them grow while in the same jobs (not exactly the same jobs, they have climbed up the ladder in their time). How wierd is that? My feet are so itchy and I have only been there for two years. Probably the nomad in me.

Moreover, the good thing is that if they misbehave, you can take them to court and get a load of dosh (if u have a good case). Policies are there to be implemented, if they are not then they are liable for the consequences (altho most organisations try their best).

-Lily-   

I'm not entirely sure that large coporations DO have family friendly policies. It seems that these are more readily on offer in the public sector rather than the private.

When I used to work in the city I saw many struggling mothers, let alone women on maternity break. Sure you might get some months off but your long term prospects of being promoted are limited, simply because many of the positions require long working hours and super committment, which is why mostly men, single people or ruthless women succeed in such fields.

It is easy to assume careers will be flexible but the reality is slightly differnt. A lot of women DO actually change career paths after motherhood. Sure no one can fire you for being a mother but how many employers are willing to give you a day off every few weeks when your child is ill or has a school play or needs to be picked up from football practice (unless of course you rely on a third party then all your problems are solved.)

Traditionally mother friendly jobs have been in the fields of teaching, healthcare etc. but not limited to.

Good luck Hiba but you shouldn't plan your life around a man and children that may or may not materialize.