Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Over sexualized Muslim men syndrome

NGONGE   

A nice article based on lots of waxa la yedhi and the author's own slant.

You were right to put it in the women's secion. icon_razz.gif:D

Ibtisam   

She's got a little twisted, what is she complaining about?? That they act shy or won't look at her?? or rather why they treat her differently to the none-muslim women they work with??

Much yad yad ya about nothing.

Blessed   

^Hello, you. How is it going? I miss your yada yada.. :D

NG,

Off course I was, this is the hang out for the 'subjects', maaha. :D

We had the weird dynamics between bro/sisters in our university, it was just as she described it - weird.

I'm not so sure about the rest of the article.I recognise the attitude, I don't think it only applies to Muslim men or that the Islamic justification of it applies to all Muslim communities - if this makes sense. Gonna have to read it again.

Interesting article and it’s quite on the point actually

Plus Islamically if someone says “Assalamu Alaykum" to you then you are required to answer back in kind. Shy or not it’s just blatant rudeness not to mention bloody silly. Also the hypocrisy and over-sexualisation with some thing as petty and insignificant as a kind word is just insane...and from a fellow muslim at that.

NGONGE- It’s a valid opinion because it speaks directly to any sister who understands exactly what this lady is speaking off. This sort of silly behaviour is not a limited one off scenario but one in which I have witnessed several times. Personally when I am ignored which is rare if I'm honest-I simply find it in my way to block their path and say "excuse me but you are incredibly rude-when a Muslim greets you, you are required at the very least to acknowledge their kindness the prophet himself was an open and just man in fact a mere smile to some scholars is considered a Sunnah" Then I walk off having finished my rant.

There is no need for such silliness- not unless an individual is just by nature shy and withdrawn from ALL. Emphasis on the word “All”. Part-time shieks can kiss my….ah…..I shall refrain :D

NGONGE   

^^ I think it's a woman thing. When people don't reply to my greetings I normally shrug and walk off. This clingy, needy, don't-look-right-thr ough me attitude is something exclusively female.

It's an "I am not interested in you and never will be, but how dare you not notice my blinding beauty and glowing personality, you peasant? GREET ME, DAMMIT". icon_razz.gif

Ah, women, don't you just love them. :D

^- As amusing your little rant was-its quite off the mark and as usual anti-all things "woman". Bitter much old man? (Lifts a brow)

Greeting someone and speaking kind words is part of ones ahlaq- I’m not asking for someone to acknowledge my existence or beauty (I am well aware of that myself) no, but it’s considered polite to at the very least greet someone back either through words or a smile. Its part of the most basic Islamic, historical and cultural etiquette known to man. It’s that simple. You teach your kids these most basic of human behavioural patterns so grown men bearded dudes and all should be able to follow the most simplest of instructions. No excuses

And any would be holy person would know that this is not the way in which you would treat people forget about a fellow brother or sister in Islam.

NGONGE   

^^Iknow all that, dear. I just prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and not dwell on the fact that I was not greeted by some passer by.

Still, if you ever walk past me, I promise to do a little courtesy as I answer your greeting. icon_razz.gif

^- A passer-by I doubt I would be as annoyed much with, but fellow muslim brothers you've known a while in univercity or whilst growing up with is not something I'd readily ignore.

For instance this Somali dude I used to know growing up as a kid (We were neighbours)we played footie together as kids, went to the same Masjid, same primary school even got battered together by the same Macalin....anyway years passed and he turned I guess kinda holy for whatever reason- anyway I saw him one day and was happy to see him and so greeted him asking about his family. He saw me and completely ignored me, the first time I was bemused-shocked even and taken off guard, the second time I made sure to block his path so he couldn't get away like he did last time and....well... I let him have it. Turns out through some twisted sort of reasoning he thought he was being respectful or some such nonsense and apologised for any offense caused. Ever since then he knows not to be so rude and manages to say hello back and inquired about the general health of the family as one tends to do.

Long story short a greeting or a kind word doesn't take much effort to make so why cause a problem anyway?

Ps- And I should like to see that curtsy along with an imperial kiss to my palm as nature dictates. I would be much obliged.

Ms DD   

What is the big deal here? Marna we complain about men harrasing us and staring at us outside the local maqaaxi or local masjid, and if they leave us alone and for once lower their gaze, we complain!

Ar Yaa Alla yaqaan! Pls..let us make up our minds ladies.

NGONGE   

^^ Atta girl! :D

Now try to talk some sense to the wadaad stalker.

The Siren, maybe it's not respect at all. Maybe everyday is a bad hair day for you. icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

Err. why have we reached the conclusion the author is some sad woman desperate for male attention? Have you guys not read the article? It's not general for all Muslim communities - esp. Somalis but she stated that already..

Most men and women in the west work, go to school and live quite comfortably having work mates, fellow students, doctors etc that are not Muslim and are of the opposite gender. If I can walk into a meeting at work, sit at a table full of Non Muslim men, be able to exchange ideas and build projects from the ground up, why can’t I do the same, with such relative ease with my Muslim brothers? Why must we maintain these facades of fake modesty, to the point that we are incoherent around each other or we refuse adamantly to meet each other’s eyes (having no problem doing so with other people?)

This inconsistency maybe more apparent in the West, where we have clean lines divided between the rest of the society and our Muslim communities. It bugs me, because technically we shouldn’t have those fake boundaries and my actions at all times should be consistent with each other.

NGONGE   

^^ Who is talking about the author? Pay attention now. We are talking about The Siren here.

ps

Have you seen the music video I posted (YOU MUST SEE IT. YOU MUST).

We are brought up understanding that men have sexual needs that are far too powerful and uncontrollable than women. This otherwise natural instinct implanted in everyone, is given undue attention and stroked to magnified proportions in men.

Very interesting article and right on target and maybe a bit culturally relative. It reminded me one of my Dugsi teacher who used to insist that women take separate street after dugsi for the sake of not tempting the brothers. Wut? This is America? There will 20-blond haired shorts wearing chicks out thre. To some degree, it is true that most practicing wadaado tend to interact and do better with non-Muslim females than Muslim females. Maybe there is less temptation, I don’t know. Lowering your gaze and abstaining from anything that might tempt you is good but acting the woman standing in front of you doesn’t exist is a bit extreme. In today’s world, women and men are both in the workforce; therefore, this noble segregation only exists in our minds.