Sign in to follow this  
Sweet_Muna

Women's future in Somali Politics.

Asalmu Alikum,

Brothers and sisters,

I am a proud somali young woman who is currently attending an American university in the state of New York. I am studying Political Science and perhaps i would like to go to Law School. despite my mothers opinions that this Political Science will not get me anywhere, I have a dream of one day returning to Somalia and become very involved in my beloved country's domestic and Internationl politics. my question is do i have the chance to make my dream come true. i was not raised in somalia so it would be nice if you can offer an answer to my question: what is the Somali woman's role in Somali politics?

Thank you for your time.

Baashi   

Somali women's role is limited as there is no positive environment to be active except few regions. Even these regions they don't have prominant role. That can be changed.

You will have a bright future. Not in the government that will supposedly reward the warlords but in the civil movement. I say that not because u r a woman but this coming government is conceived in the premise of that tribalism is the bases of Somali polity. Every and each tribe has a quota. Your tribe’s quota will be contested by # of subclans. Your chance depends on how numerous your subclan is and how economically better off they happen to be. It is a disgrace. Instead of taking part of this immoral arrangement a better role would be to be part of a movement that is resolved to expose the corruption, nepotism, etc. There will always be a room for improvement in all sectors of the future Somali politics. Advocating for equality, giving voice for the voiceless, setting up watchdog institution that checks the government itself, etc. If u have talent you will be appreciated in Somalia. Keep up ur education u r needed there.

Gediid   

Incidentally I saw your post right after I posted the new cabinet named by President Riyaale.The most powerful Ministery will now be headed by Edna Adan.Though she isn't the first women minister in Somaliland but she now becomes the most powerful.That proves things are changing.By the time you graduate maybe we will have the very first woman President Insha Allah.

Keep working hard on your education in the mean time.