Sign in to follow this  
BN

The Parliament Has Not Invited Somaliland British Envoy For Somalia

BN   

Interview with British Envoy for Somalia David Bel (14-03-04)

PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW FOR HORN-AFRIQUE RADIO

"The president of Somaliland is in London on a private visit. The British parliament has not invited him."

"He will meet some parliamentarians, he will also meet some officials and ministers. But that is something that would be done with anybody visiting London if they requeste a meeting."

"The Parliamentarians he will meet will be the International Development Committee; who in fact, visited the region about a month ago. And indeed, some of them met a group of Somalis in Nairobi in the Interncontinental hotel."

"So, there is no question of this being an invitation from the British government."

http://www.hornafrik.com/Audio/bel.ram

BN

Fyr   

In an exclusive telephone interview with Bashir Goth, editor of Awdalnews Network, ANN, President Riyale

ANN: did you receive an official invitation from the British Government?

PRESIDENT: You know we are not yet recognized. So it is not an official because an official is when you are recognized but they accepted us to go to their country and meet us.

You can clearly see that he doesn't say that he got an invitation from the British Government.

He just says that they accepted us to go to their country and meet us.

ANN: are you going to address the British Parliament?

PRESIDENT: Yes, I am going to make a short speech to the Parliament. The Parliament has invited me on this.

It's seems to me that the PRESIDENT requested a private visit to UK, and the British parliament has invited him to make a short speech to the Parliament.

The may not have invited to UK, but they did invite him to make a short speech to the parliament.

please correct me if I'am wrong thx

PEACE

BN   

Casey,

"Well, I would like to correct one thing...the British Parliament has not invited him[Dahir Riyaale]."--David Bel, British Envoy

Does that answer your question? You will notice the Envoy went out of his way to correct the Interviewer; something which speaks volumes.

It seems it doesnt take much to meet UK officials while on a personal visit. All one must do, presumeably, is make a simple request.

And you should note that the Envoy stated "There is always pressure on Somaliland to engage with whats going on in Nairobi." Presumably, this pressure will continue and/or intensify during his visit to London. This doesn’t bode well for someone of such weak calibre as Mr. Riyaale.

Maybe you should read that article by Ali Gulaid, "Riyaale's Visit Is Hype".

I would venture a guess that Riyaale may be on a personal holiday vacation...I've heard the mosquitos in Hargeisa are terrible this time of year.

BN

Fyr   

Casey,

"The British parliament has not invited him."

Does that answer your question?

It's seems to me that the PRESIDENT requested a private visit to UK, and the British parliament has invited him to make a short speech to the Parliament.

We shall wait until 17th of March, and see if makes he's short speech.

And I don't think that anybody visiting London, would get to make a speech to the parliament.

Nasir   

vacation in Uk is way better than one in Nairobi and sharing rooms with dozen of warlords, you see buddy that is the type of vacation you so called warlord president abdilahi yusuf is taking. About the president's trip , its another way for us to reach wider audiance , by addressing the pairlament, more people will have the clear understanding of what somaliland stands for " democracy". If you really think addressing the british pairlament comes easy go advice your uncle warlord to go there and see what happens. I see somaliweyn sweatin the somaliland recognition is geting closer day after day and they know it.

maca salama

BN   

Originally posted by Nasir:

vacation in Uk is way better than one in Nairobi

At least we agree now that its a personal holiday and not an official visit as he has not been invited by either the UK Government or the UK Parliament.

Tell me, since your SL passport is virtually worthless(outside of Ethiopia). How did Riyaale, a private citizen of Somalia, get into the UK? I'll give you one guess....

BN

Fyr   

Casey,

"Well, I would like to correct one thing...the British Parliament has not invited him[Dahir Riyaale]."--David Bel, British Envoy

It's Correct Mr. Bari_Nomad

British Parliament didn't invited him to the UK.

But they did invite him to make a short speech to the British Parliament while he is in the UK

Nasir   

He got in to UK with somaliland passport... you can ignore that if you like but it works. by the way how does puntland passport looks like.....

India   

BAri

Brother get a grip. Your infituation with Somaliland is beyond beleive.

get a grip and get a life while you at it.

And yest the president did get a official invite. Jointy issued by Chris Mullin and the Commitee for Int Development. Go to the govt site and its published there. Oh, and lets not forget the next weeks visit to brussells and the EU parliament....I guess that is a also a "visit"???

Bari, by lamneting Sl constantly just goes to show how limited your environs are.

Dust

Rokko   

Originally posted by Nasir:

vacation in Uk is way better than one in Nairobi and sharing rooms with dozen of warlords, you see buddy that is the type of vacation you so called warlord president abdilahi yusuf is taking. About the president's trip , its another way for us to reach wider audiance , by addressing the pairlament, more people will have the clear understanding of what somaliland stands for " democracy". If you really think addressing the british pairlament comes easy go advice your uncle warlord to go there and see what happens. I see somaliweyn sweatin the somaliland recognition is geting closer day after day and they know it.

maca salama

Nasir, thanx for clarifying on that buddy. just FYI, comparing the Nairobi vocation to Riyalle's London is not the point but the intentions. If I were to choose between the two, as you put it one being all luxury etc..I would've preferred the one which unites not divides...

Gabbal   

If I were to choose between the two, as you put it one being all luxury etc..I would've preferred the one which unites not divides...

True, true.