Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

For Fitness's sake

Is going to the gym a newer trend among somali women? I went to my local gym few nights ago and I was surprised to see so many somali girls and older women at the gym. The choice of workout attire was crazy, I saw girls with shorts, sweat pants and than i saw few with full jilbab on the elliptical, very unsafe but cool to see everyone working out.

:D Everytime I went and I saw a woman wearing Jalbaab on the treadmill or on the stairmaster, I wanted to rush over and warn her about the danger of falling off a moving machine, but for some reason, it felt wrong to tell a sister to not wear Jalbaab.

But wallahi, that used to inspire horror in all the people in the club. Trainers who are traing clients would stop in the middle of their workout session and check on them, other people would stop and help them. Some would suggest that they ought to take a long walk arround the gym.

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Sheh, I tried yoga last year, I thought my wrists were going to snap lol...maybe I should have started with beginners class though. that move looks incredibly hard.

LoL, I think it IS a beginner's pose. Apparently it's a resting position. Huh. My wrists hurt too as do my shoulders. You've got to spread your fingers out, rotate your arms in and push your ars* up in the air, your thoughs towards the back of the room, lean your chest in to your thighs and drop your neck. All this while breathing(and cursing). It gets easier. My legs have become more defined and my shoulders don't rush up to my ears as much.

I'm getting into it; in fact going to buy a DVD right now. Will choose something everyone is raving about on Amazon.

Haneefah   

Bless & Val, I know heestu caadi maha. Moves you adoon rabin, even though I can't stand Haifa.

Blessed, seriously dhabar iyo meelo kale oo badan iguma yaalaan. I think I've exercised muscles that have been dormant for years. I am looking forward to starting massage therapy next week Insha Allah, I am hoping that would alleviate some of my muscle strains and neck stress.

And yes, we should keep each other updated. My goal is 10 pounds - the amount I've gained since summer. Insha Allah, you will reach your target by then too.

Has anyone tried hydrotherapy? Sounds quite therapeutic. I am thinking of trying it.

Aaliyyah   

I don't think its appropriate to work out with your jalbaab on besides the safety reasons you wouldn't be comfortable working out dressed such way. I would say make use of "only women" gyms and also do work out women hours @ your campus gym. If there isn't women hours at your school make it.

salaam

---------------------------

amusnaan wa ogolaasho badhkeed...

Oh! I finally got my butt off the couch and went to the gym yesterday.I havent seen that facility in ages(yet I pay hefty amount of money EVERY month)so I felt little akward being there especially with all the display of body-perfection. So I'm in there trying to jogg and who do I see in there? my aunties with their personal trainers!!! Aduunyo. I had to laugh! They are always complaining about how slugish they feel and asking what I do to stay in shape,and they are the ones with trainers in the middle of the afternoon.

So have you met your goals last week? and what are your fitness goals/plans this week?

This was My plan.

I started a month a go.

I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill 4 times a week in the morning. Sometimes if im running late in the morning I brisk walk/jog for 30 minutes then I add 30 minutes in the evening. I maintain my maximal heart rate btn 50-65% never exceed it. ( as its considered the Fat burning zone). Have a heart rate counter watch to help me with that. Usually burn 300-400 calories.

I also do toning exercises twice a week. A day for upper body + abds few days later lower body+ abds.

I make sure I have proteins in all my meals & ration my portions 1/2 cup carbs, 1-2 cups veges. Fruits have them only at breakfast & for my after dinner snack - usually 1/2 cup fruit.

So have 6 meals in a day - breakfast, snack,lunch,snack,dinner, snack. I prepare food over the weekend and pack my food with me wherever I go. Before workouts though I increase the carb proportion to 1 cup as well as fruit.

Drink atleast 100 oz of water. Ive stopped taking juices.

Results: I have lost approx 11 pounds since I started. starting weight 138.6 pds- current 126.8. My goal I want to go down to my original weight 120 pds then I can maintain or yoyo upto 125.

Well, I couldnt wait to see what next week will bring so I rewarded myself yesterday. Ive gone down from a size(US) 6 to 4. Got a pair of jeans & brown slacks. ;) Alhamdullilah

Best of luck everyone. Goals are attainable smile.gif

wol

Wow, awesome!!

So here is my plan for March:

Cardio on the Elliptical& Treadmill: Length: 45 minutes 5x a week. Weight Lifting (Whole body cuz I’m not a gym rat yet therefore, I can’t go everyday to split lifting) twice a week: Mondays/Wednesdays.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with skim milk or yogurt. Coffee with cream/sugar

Snack: yogurt

Lunch: Chicken Salad (I’m getting tired of this, so I will start bagging my lunch from now on).

Snack: none (I should bring a piece of fruit from now on)

Dinner: I eat whatever that is ready when I get home (This is where I get in trouble. I either eat a lot or very little depending on how tired I’m).

Any suggestions on tasty snacks and easy to cook/heat dinners?

Orange where are you? Share your expertise pppl ;)

MZanzi   

I was speaking over the phone with a friend who's trying to sculpt his body we discussed that our physique is 90% diet, diet, diet. Why does diet have the greatest leverage?

This will explain the famous saying, "You can't out train a bad diet." Even if you train 2-3 hours a day, it's still difficult to have a near-perfect body without a healthy meal plan

So the importance of respecting and valuing the work you are doing at the gym? Don't underestimate the effort you're putting out. Exercise WORKS. It works especially well when you don't make it compete with a crappy diet..

PS.You will only get a near-perfect body when you monitor what is going in versus going out with a properly designed healthy meal plan.

OMG at WOL, well done. I'm sweating at the thought. I cancelled my membership(whom was I kidding?) and bought DVDS. Been doing Pilates and Yoga and my body has changed, even lost weight but that might be cause I have been walking more. I don't worry too much about what I eat cause I eat small portions unless I go out to eat(and overeat). Fibre feels you up and keeps hunger at bay, low GI foods too. Also, eat dinner as early as possible.