Sign in to follow this  
Dhimbil

Foreign Travelers' Diary

Dhimbil   

An American relates his experience traveling back home, places like Jigjiga, Hargaisa, Berbara!

Read the postscript comment at the bottom. Apperantly, some Somalis didn't like his take on the situation back home :confused: .

Click Here

BN   

Loooool...! The comments were too much. :D:D

14th September 2005 14:35 - dj:14th September 2005 14:35 - dj:

Why did you even do to somaliland- what was the purpose, and don' tell you were just curious. it seemed to me that you are judging somaliland and somaliders by some ****** remaks like "For some reason the word “warlord†pops up in my head when I hear “Somaliâ€. Somali Warlord." and "women can be seen hanging around, faces covered by some green paste (the nature of which I have been unable to determine) but is presumably to make their skin lighter." your are so f**cking narrow minded. there isn't a single warlord in Somalidand, get a clue because if there was at least one you would be dead. That stuff women put on their face is a NATURAL FACIAL CLEANSER. why should somalilanders thank you for talking about their country, what have you done?- nothing, because you didn't notice all the things that they 've done that matters.

Sky   

This hateful monkey is garbage. He seems like he looks down on Somalis, as if he views us as childlike people. What a fool. The way he assumes things prove to me that he's a racist. No wonder he describes his experience this way, with such an attitude you don't make friends in Somalia. He tries to come across as someone who understands us Muslims, but he is just fooling himself.

May he never come back. Even his pictures weren't nice. What a loser.

keynan   

Somalida waxaay ku mahmahdaa ninki ishiisa laka argo ayaa ushiisa laku tumaa. don't you thing we (somalis) look down on each other, and hatefull to each other. probably they get closer to him thinking he can help to minimize their worries while he ws ther to study how uncililize people behave or they talk to him how they are better clan then any other clan in somalia. maybe he was trying to understand muslims, but they give him wrong impresion by chewing khat day in and day out. he isn't a loser somalis are losers.

qumane   

About Djiboute 48 Hours in Djibouti

Every thing he write is negatief "The town itself is much dirtier and more chaotic than Hargeisa, many buildings being made of corrugated iron and any other materials the builders may have chanced upon."

Another one "We are too poor to drink fruit juice, eat fish, or engage in other luxuries, so we go back and eat more pasta for 50cents. At a dark spot by some parked minibuses are two loafers and the thought “pickpockets†flashes through my mind. No-one has ever considered me rich enough to rob, but I’ve heard plenty of stories: someone does something aggressive like grab you by the collar or spit on your clothes, and while your mind is thus occupied his partner empties your pockets and both disappear before you realize what’s happened. They go for the right front pocket of pants, and I normally carry my money in my left pocket which has a zipper, but Somaliland has made me grow lax, and I’m carrying about $20 in my right pocket. It could happen to me! 5 seconds later one of them is trying to distract me and I feel a hand in my pocket which I immediately grab, upon which he releases his hold, letting the money go. Now both X and I turn on Mr Amateur, and X gets it in his head that he would like to punch him, and starts chasing. Bystanders join in the pursuit, and once captured begin to slap the thief. When X joins the fun it’s in the form of a flying punch dealt to the back of the thief’s ear. To his shame, the blow didn’t knock him over. X says he didn’t have enough space to “express himselfâ€. At the police station they seem disappointed by the quantity: only 3000 francs? By this time X has worked himself into a rage and is yelling and cursing at the thief -- who doesn’t speak French. The police say he must be Ethiopian, but he has dignity and replies he’s a Somali from Hargeisa. I guess one reason Hargeisa is so safe because all the thieves have moved to the glorious Republic of Djibouti".

Sky   

Qumane, you confirmed my thoughts. How he talked about my brothers in Hargeisa and Berbera made me mad, but how he insults Reer Djibouti is even worse. No Gaal can insult my people and get away with it.

Dhimbil   

Folks,

Stop being sensative nomads. This is his own experience traveling in a foreign country. Forget Berbera, Somalis in North America act much much worst towards other people. Besides, it proves his point when we attack his posts or him, just because we disagree with him. I think we are used to sugarcoated write-ups and pictures and when anyone (no less a foreigner)says something different, you say they hate us? take that outa here. You can't expect every foreiner to accept or write favorably about our culture, when some parts of our culture are as messed up!

sigma   

everyone lets not get carried away this is the ramblings of one (not very well educated, non-any other language speaking american). looking over his blogs on africa in general he mostly makes note of "shabby people and west african "hookers" . i mention this because when i traveled with friends through asia, i don't remember one email/postcard/phonecall. where i told my family/friends about such things. we where interested in cutural differences, architecture,history, environment. what i am trying to say is that we should dismiss such blogs as he basically has nothing to tell us or anyone. imagine traveling for over a year and having a fox news perspective on international politics/history!!.

hateful monkey :D funny!!