Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Somali Hostage threatened with beheading

Tuujiye   

Ilahoow u gar gaar reerkiisa. amiin.

It is very sad that our somali brother is in this situation. We need to understand that, they Iraqi's killing other Iraqis because they are helping the kufars. So for them to capture a somali and kill him because he was bringing food to the kufars, what makes him so much different from the Iraqis that are helping the kufars.

We could always make excuse for him and say, "he is working for his family". But the fact stands. You help a kufar you become the anemy.

For his case is understandable if they kil him.

But sisnce he is our somali brother and he is muslim, all we could do for him is prey iinsha allah.

Wareer badanaa!!

Zaylici   

Apologitic individuals seem to dominate this forum. The gist of their argument is that the end justifies the means, more specifically, removal of Americans from Iraq justifies whatever that is executed to attain the desired end. Thus, the insurgent who decided to fight against imperialism, domination of one man against another, substitutes his enemy in the process of attaining his end. Consequently, he does what his enemy does and more : kill and murderer innocent people( such as those who are passing by) or those who have different views( those who choose to work with occupiers and find ways to resolve the accupation in more peacefull ways). In this scenerio the insurgent becomes a ruthless dictator : either my way or death. Ironic indeed. But that is not the irony in this forum. Blind symbathy inherited from decades of Radical Islamasiztion in Somalia have produced individuals who are so blind to reason and unfolding realities, that they are willing to endorse brutal dictators or killers to meet the end, i,e, defeat the infidal. In this context, one is reminded, revolutioneries in Russia early in this century. The moto of these revolutioneries was kill as much to make many as happy. Killing large numbers of people is justified, so long as one could justify their liquadation on the basis of the revolutionery objectives. Weather it is Islamic redicalism or Marixist one, the pattern is fundementally the same, as matter of fact, any Idiological commitment with passion blinds its bearer, in her struggle to be faithfull to her idiology( in our case Islamic redicalism) she becomes so blind as to endore the murder of fellow ordinary Muslim. The justification is fundementally the same : the victim, it is argued paralyzed our just cause. His luquadation, therefere, is just and proper in light of prevailing desire to defeat imperialism and domination of one human being( non Muslim) over another( Muslim).

Baashi   

^ I think I can tell confused soul when I see one. Zeylici brother I don't get it. Break it down for us: what is radical about Islam? I remember another post of urs and I guess u r onto something that I can't quite put my finger on.

Here is the issue: Do you consider Americans as "liberators" or as occupiers subjugating the Iraqis to safeguard their interests whatever that is oil, democracy, containment of its adversaries such as Iran, Syria, and securing Israel’s existence by eliminating the likes of Sadam...it does not matter which one?

Do you regard the folks who do vice in the name of Islam as reactionaries or do you really think there is something wrong in Islam that is in need of reform, as Bush seems to think? He wants to replace evil and the evildoers with democracy by force!

Now the insurgents come into the picture in this context. In some corners they are called resistance fighters, or freedom fighters, or malcontents, or whatever as the case was in France when Germany occupied it. West, Israel, China, etc have developed nuclear, biological, chemical weapons you named it for only one purpose: to kill another human beings; anyone who dares to invade their country.

I'm in loss wallahi how some folks do the math. I grant you the beheading is not good site to see but boy! Hiroshima was a site you don't wanna see.

Talk about rambling this is it...n emotions play tiny lil part...ahem! I'm now in control again though.

Fyr   

Iraqis in Somalia Threatened With Beheading

Salad F. Duhul

Arab News

JEDDAH, 31 July 2004 — A candidate for the presidency in Somalia said yesterday he would encourage his supporters to kill Iraqis in Somalia if the Somali truck driver kidnapped in Iraq was beheaded by his captors.

“If they (the Iraqis) behead our loved ones, we will behead their loved ones,†presidential hopeful Hussein Ali Elmi was quoted by news agencies as saying. Elmi dismissed as too soft the Kenyan government’s position of asking their citizens to leave Iraq after three Kenyans were abducted there last week.

Elmi said there were a few hundred Iraqis in Somalia, mainly working as shopkeepers in the capital Mogadishu. Most of them fled Iraq during Saddam Hussein’s rule.

Elmi said, however, that he himself would not behead anybody, but instead would ask his militias to do it.

“There is no other way to defend our people,†he said.

There are 56 presidential candidates for Somalia. A group of around 20 are considered the Young Turks.

Elmi, himself a Young Turk, said that if one of them becomes president, they would want to immediately send Somali troops to assist the new Iraqi government.

Amnesty International (AI) has said in a statement that Somalia’s planned new government must be committed to respecting human rights, ending abuses and bringing to book perpetrators of past crimes in a country wracked by factional warfare for more than a decade.

The human rights watchdog’s appeal came as the Somali talks in Kenya drew close to creating a transitional federal government that is expected to end 13 years of anarchy and violence. The Somali delegates at the talks were expected to select Parliament members and president.

“A new government will be under obligation to respect the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and international and regional human rights treaties and conventions, particularly those signed by previous governments of Somalia,†the AI statement said. “Somalia’s new government must be committed to human rights and make a clean break with the gross abuses of the past 30 years, even though some of the perpetrators are still dominating the power-sharing. New human rights abuses must not be tolerated and those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity, committed in the past, must be held accountable.

AI appealed to the international community to give “firm and generous support†for human rights and reconstruction in Somalia. It called for the appointment of a United Nations human rights adviser for the country. “A UN human rights adviser for Somalia is urgently needed. Measures should be taken to implement the frequently violated UN arms embargo and disband faction militias. Child soldiers should be disbanded and rehabilitated,†said the statement.

It called for the creation of safe conditions in Somalia before the return of refugees who fled the insecurity that followed the collapse of the state. “Conditions for safe return and sustainable livelihood for refugees will require major improvements in security, safe humanitarian access and substantial post-conflict reconstruction,†it said.

“There must now be a clear end to the arbitrary killings of civilians, kidnappings, rape and looting, which are still being carried out with total impunity by faction militias and gunmen. The resumption of statehood must guarantee human rights and personal security for all citizens, as they regain a recognized citizenship and return from isolation to the world community of nations,†it added.

At the same time, Martin Hill, Horn of Africa researcher for AI, has told reporters that two Somali asylum seekers deported from the Netherlands and Denmark were killed shortly after arriving in Mogadishu in a case showing the flaws in those countries’ immigration policies. He said the two men were killed by thieves who saw them as strangers without clan ties and therefore easy prey..

Militiamen at the Sharia Islamic court in Mogadishu have beaten up two Hornafrik radio and TV journalists, who tried to enter the court’s offices in the southern part of the capital, media reports said. The Islamic court’s chairman, however, denied the beatings, saying the journalists were only prevented from entering the court.

“We were attacked after we entered the compound, which was recently converted into Islamic court offices,†one of the journalists, Hassan Kafi Abdurahman was quoted as saying. He said that during the attack, the militia guards destroyed recording material and papers belonging to them. The other journalist, Zeynab Abukar Mohamed, said she was pushed hard until she fell down, but the guards did not assault her further.

The former first lady of Somalia, Dalayad Haji Hashi Jama, has died in Columbus, USA, at the age of 72, press reports said. According to her relatives, she died in her apartment on Monday of complications from diabetes.

Dalayad was married to former Somali dictator Mohamed Siad Barre for 45 years. After he died in exile in Lagos, Nigeria, in 1995, she joined eight of her children in Columbus, which has the second largest Somali population in the United States.

Elmi said, however, that he himself would not behead anybody, but instead would ask his militias to do it.

The Essence of Warlordism :rolleyes: , and the problem of somalia. A Power hungry Individual, and the un-educated, high and desperatly power men women and children behind him.

LANDER   

At the end of this ordeal there are only two groups I can sympathize with: that is the Iraqi people in general and the family of this captured truck driver. Call me cold hearted if you like but I cannot sympathize with this truck driver himself, I assume he's not a moron and he knew the risk involved in working in an occupied war zone and working indirectly for an occupying force. He knew very well the grief he would put his family through and probably knew that his loved ones would have many restless nights thinking of their son/cousin/brotha in the middle of that war zone, and yet he still decided to go ahead most likely for limited short term financial gains. How quickly we forget our own experiences with foreigners in somali territory blinded by somali patriotism. Many of your probably remember the Pakistani so-called peacekeepers that were in somalia in 1993 during the american attempt at intervening directly in somali affairs, many of them died somewhere between 20-40 I forget and yet I don't remember any somalis shedding tears over their death, they were fellow muslims where they not? But yet like this truck driver they knew the risks involved in coming to somalia. I strongly believe we are all responsible for our actions and therefore also responsible for the consequences of those actions.

Nobody has the right to take a life in this world. Even in Jihad or war situations, Islamic law attaches strict conditions on how to treat prisoners of war (better than you would treat guests in your home), so I am not able to grasp how we can sit here and attempt to justify killing civilians (whether they work for the occupying forces or not) and especially Muslim civilians.

As far as I am concerned, there isnt much difference between the American invaders, and those kidnappers and their like...they all kill indiscriminately.

NGONGE   

The ducking and diving in this argument is amazing! It reminds me of the opinions the American Nu-conservatives keep putting forward every time they’re challenged.

Are we talking from a political viewpoint or an Islamic one?

As I said earlier, the capturing and killing of civilians has no political gains for Iraq. Now, if these guys were kidnapping people, killing them, beheading them and blowing up every little building in Iraq to have some long lasting political advantage, things will at least make sense. But, what advantage do they seek?

They want to eject the Americans out of Iraq but they don’t advance any alternatives for when the Americans leave. They have no visible plans, no obvious leaders that will take over and no apparent public support. So, when you look at things from a political angle, you can see that these guys’ aims are only short-term ones and are of no use for the Iraqi people. Pride seems to keep them going not a sense of responsibility.

If we look at it from an Islamic point of view things start getting muddled up a bit. Are they doing it for the Sunnis, the Shicas or the Kurds? Why are they kidnapping and killing “Muslims†when there is 200,000 “infidels†right there in the middle of them?

As with the discussions we’ve read here about Shica/Sunna and the differences between the two, people don’t take the time to think; Are you a Muslim that truthfully FEARS Allah? Can you quantify that fear? Are you always right and do you have some sort of receipt that guarantees you entry to JANNA once you die?

I suspect most of those reading the above questions and attempting to answer them will probably reply YES to the first and NO to all the rest. I also suspect that you already know what the point I’m trying to make is! But, just in case you don’t, the POINT is, if you’re not sure of your own fate and know that this fate rests on your ability to avoid making sins and mistakes, why are you risking it all for the sake of a pointless contention? If you were right in your argument, your gains will be very small (since those you disagree with are not likely to change their beliefs), but if you’re wrong (and don’t be too stubborn please), your LOSS will be beyond measure!

I believe the above applies to simple arguments on discussion boards and serious wars in distant lands. The principles are the same; are you 100% sure that you’re not committing a major sin?

Whatever our point of view in West vs. Muslim world lets prey for all Muslims and this poor Somali man for safety.

I have strong view on wider issue of insurgents, resistances, jihads, alqaida and so forth fighting with occupiers and their so called collaborators. If this poor man and countless others who are struggling to feed their families and help the people of Muslim countries such as Iraq, Somali, Afghanistan are collaborators that must be treated like the enemies themselves why many of us work and contribute physically, financially and mentally to these western society i.e. enemy societies? Aren't we hypocritical lot who condemn everyone else for doing things themselves do every day?

Why are we all seem so desperate and want to kill and be killed? Where is out iman and sabr? Did we forget that our prophet (PBUH) ordered his companions not to fight while they were in Mecca and show more sabr then just fight lose it.

N.O.R.F   

Lander says:

I assume he's not a moron and he knew the risk involved in working in an occupied war zone and working indirectly for an occupying force. He knew very well the grief he would put his family through and probably knew that his loved ones would have many restless nights thinking of their son/cousin/brotha in the middle of that war zone, and yet he still decided to go ahead most likely for limited short term financial gains

My point exactly!

Any news on him?

Baashi   

Food for thought:

In the Peloponesian war, the Athenians ask the inhabitants of Melos (they were neutral in the war), to come under their lordship. When Meleans asked why would they give up their freedom.

"The powerful exact what they can," said the Athenians, "and the weak grant what they must."

Meleans replied that they would rather appeal to their Gods for protection than to become slaves.

Athenians responded, "Of the gods we believe and of men we know that, by a law of their nature, wherever they can rule they will. This law was not made by us, and we are not the first to have acted upon it; we did but inherit it, and we know that you and all mankind, if you were as strong as we are, would do as we do. So much for the gods; we have told you why we expect to stand as high in their good opinion as you."

The Meleans still refused to bow down to the Athenians.

"The Athenians," Thucydides quietly says, "thereupon put to death all who were of military age and made slaves of the women and children. They then colonized the island, sending thither five hundred settlers of their own.â€

Excerpts are from the essay by William James titled “The Moral equivalent of warâ€

Are Iraqis better off to cooperate and to accept the American lordship? Or are they better off to resist and risk all knowing that their adversary is as powerful and determined as Athenians were in their time? Freedom, faith, and family, are these causes worth dying? Are the insurgents and kidnapers wrong in their tactics and their approach or are they wrong in not realizing that the war they are engaged is not a winnable one?

AYOUB   

Khaleej Times Online >> News >> FOCUS ON IRAQ

Iraq group to release Somali hostage: Al-Jazeera

(AFP)

2 August 2004

DOHA - A militant group in Iraq has decided to release a Somali hostage it is holding after his Kuwaiti employer said it would stop operations in Iraq, Al-Jazeera television reported on Monday.

The Qatar-based news channel aired video footage on July 29 of the Somali taken captive by alleged Al Qaeda operative Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi’s Tawhid wa al-Jihad (Unification and Holy War) group.

The hostage was identified as Ali Ahmad Mussa, a truck driver working in Iraq for a Kuwaiti company.

The group threatened to behead him unless the firm pulled out of the country within 48 hours.

Al-Jazeera said on Monday that Zarqawi’s group had “released a video saying it would free the Somali hostage as a token of appreciation for the stands of the Somali government and people toward Iraq and after the Kuwaiti company for which the hostage works undertook to stop operations in Iraq.â€

It showed footage of the captive with three hooded gunmen standing behind him.

The Somali was taken hostage amid a spate of abductions in Iraq by insurgents fighting US-led forces. The insurgents have been particularly targeting truck drivers to put pressure on their companies to pull out of Iraq.

N.O.R.F   

Alxamdulliah for the brother and his family, lets hope its a leson he learns from.

They want to eject the Americans out of Iraq but they don’t advance any alternatives for when the Americans leave. They have no visible plans, no obvious leaders that will take over and no apparent public support. So, when you look at things from a political angle, you can see that these guys’ aims are only short-term ones and are of no use for the Iraqi people. Pride seems to keep them going not a sense of responsibility.

Their country has just been taken and their families killed/captured and many are living in poverty. Now tell me that you don’t understand their stance. This my not lead to providing a better life for their ppl, but they feel as though ridding Iraq of the Kufar is a greater achievement.

If we look at it from an Islamic point of view things start getting muddled up a bit. Are they doing it for the Sunnis, the Shicas or the Kurds? Why are they kidnapping and killing “Muslims†when there is 200,000 “infidels†right there in the middle of them?

I also think this that area has become very blurred over time, I have suspicions that many kidnappers are have lost the plot. With many western governments taking a strong stance on this issue, they have started to target the weaker governments. This may have an adverse effect on the relations between the ‘coalition’ like it did when the Phillipino Govnt decided to pull out early due to a kidnapping a few weeks ago.

I may have been quick to judge the brother before obtaining the facts and I take back anything negative that may have come out in any of my previous posts. Most of the time I just scan through the posts.

I want to deal with this word ‘isurgent’.

I havent looked it up in the dictionery but I’m pretty sure it means ppl going into another country/area. What I hate is the way this word is used in nearly all news reports. Like they say, if you repeat the sky is green all day and night, ppl will soon believe you. My point is, are there really any insurgents there? If so, is there really that many where every news report blames it on an ‘insurgent’? I have the feeling that its all propaganda when in fact 90% of the fighters are Iraqis.