Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Gender Based Price Differences

Khayr   

Politician wants to stop gender-based pricing

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:53 AM GMT

Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

TORONTO (Reuters) - Most women, accustomed to paying more than men for goods and services like clothes and hair cuts, simply shrug it off as part of life, but an Ontario legislator hopes to end all that.

Lorenzo Berardinetti wants to brand so-called gender-based pricing a human rights violation and he has introduced a bill in the Ontario legislature to make the practice illegal.

Berardinetti said on Tuesday he was shocked when he and his wife took clothes to a dry cleaners and she ended up paying more for similar items.

"I get charged one price and she gets charged another price for virtually the same material," he said.

Berardinetti said that opened his eyes to an experience women have long learned to deal with, namely higher prices for clothes, shoes, hair cuts and other services.

"The bill would ... amend the human rights code in Ontario to make gender pricing discriminatory and it would also allow for penalties to be levied from C$2,000 to C$5,000 (870 pounds to 2,200 pounds)," he said.

The bill -- "An Act to Prohibit Price Discrimination on the Basis of Gender" -- will be debated in the legislature in April in the second phase of a four-stage process toward a bill making its way into law. If it passes a final third reading, royal assent then sees it written into law.

"I get charged one price and she gets charged another price for virtually the same material,"

Poor him, He paid for both eh?

Smart Man.

Using Politics to Solve Domestic Issues.

I am voting that Guy in...... if hes willing to reduce the price of dirac and dahab(not to mention diamonds) icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Brown:

I am voting that Guy in...... if hes willing to reduce the price of dirac and dahab(not to mention diamonds)
icon_razz.gif

I always thought that the whole point of diamonds was to show off to your friends how expensive it is.

And I thought the only reason we got our men to buy us diamonds is not because we love the sparkle, but because it is expensive and we want to see him move heaven and earth and sell his house to buy them. :D