Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

Why do they call it Somaliland?

LANDER   

Originally posted by Kashanre:

Somalia does not have an Italian suffix, but a Greco-Roman suffix that is in widespread use. Somalia (land of the Somalis), Ethiopia (land of the burnt skin), etc are just some nations whose name was influenced by western civilization, their Greco-Roman foundation, and the latin language that has influenced all the other European languages including English.
smile.gif
[/QB]

^^Qansharee

Italian belongs to the family of languages considered "Latin Languages" in europe. some 90 odd percent of Spanish and Italian derives from latin. Other latin languages include Portuguese, French and Romanian. Aside from those 5, other european languages have been heavily influenced by latin but are by no means in that same category. Best believe the word "Somalia" as was adopted from italian, if you don't like it? blame the gaalo :D

LANDER   

Originally posted by Kashanre:

Somalia does not have an Italian suffix, but a Greco-Roman suffix that is in widespread use. Somalia (land of the Somalis), Ethiopia (land of the burnt skin), etc are just some nations whose name was influenced by western civilization, their Greco-Roman foundation, and the latin language that has influenced all the other European languages including English.
smile.gif
[/QB]

^^Qansharee

Italian belongs to the family of languages considered "Latin Languages" in europe. some 90 odd percent of Spanish and Italian derives from latin. Other latin languages include Portuguese, French and Romanian. Aside from those 5, other european languages have been heavily influenced by latin but are by no means in that same category. Best believe the word "Somalia" as was adopted from italian, if you don't like it? blame the gaalo :D

Gabbal   

^Was Ethiopia adopted from the Italians? :D

What about all the British colonies of Nigeria, Namibia, India, Australia, etc? smile.gif

p.s. What's Qansharee?

Gabbal   

^Was Ethiopia adopted from the Italians? :D

What about all the British colonies of Nigeria, Namibia, India, Australia, etc? smile.gif

p.s. What's Qansharee?

British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland respectively

Sxb, the official name as it was known by the Italians was "Somalia Italiana ". Or if you Anglosize it "Italian Somalia". You can consult any Italian book about Somalia's (Proper) colonial history. I can only guess that they might called Somaliland "Somalia Britiannia" as well. But I am not sure.

You can find postcards and even money from that era, and it well says "Somalia".

This is a post stamp produced during the Italian colonial times.

africa_somalia_italia.jpg

This might be a good example.

4308-04-02_Somalia_under_Italy_one_Rupee

British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland respectively

Sxb, the official name as it was known by the Italians was "Somalia Italiana ". Or if you Anglosize it "Italian Somalia". You can consult any Italian book about Somalia's (Proper) colonial history. I can only guess that they might called Somaliland "Somalia Britiannia" as well. But I am not sure.

You can find postcards and even money from that era, and it well says "Somalia".

This is a post stamp produced during the Italian colonial times.

africa_somalia_italia.jpg

This might be a good example.

4308-04-02_Somalia_under_Italy_one_Rupee

^^Well, it is obvious some people have problems with Somaliland and like the old elephant adage, they don't see theirs.

Just wanted to point out the facts sxb. Like Lander said, some one will in a very short time, when this very thread disappears come up and ask the same very question, expecting something his ears (and perhaps your ears too) want to hear. Which is "Kaafir raac" and other trivial you would expect from people like our nationalist Mr. SOO MAAL and Wind.Talker dude.

^^Well, it is obvious some people have problems with Somaliland and like the old elephant adage, they don't see theirs.

Just wanted to point out the facts sxb. Like Lander said, some one will in a very short time, when this very thread disappears come up and ask the same very question, expecting something his ears (and perhaps your ears too) want to hear. Which is "Kaafir raac" and other trivial you would expect from people like our nationalist Mr. SOO MAAL and Wind.Talker dude.

Gabbal   

expecting something his ears (and perhaps your ears too) want to hear. Which is "Kaafir raac"

Contrary to what you might think sxb, I don't see "Somaliland" as the enemy and neither do majority of other people. Kaafir raacyo, gaalo raacyo waligood haday ku dabo-laabtaan maxay igu tari maxayse kaa tari? Nothing bro, absaloutely nothing. Somalis have alot of deeprooted problems and complexes I understand, but it is fastly becoming a thing of the past. Ignorance is ignorance; from all sides.

Gabbal   

expecting something his ears (and perhaps your ears too) want to hear. Which is "Kaafir raac"

Contrary to what you might think sxb, I don't see "Somaliland" as the enemy and neither do majority of other people. Kaafir raacyo, gaalo raacyo waligood haday ku dabo-laabtaan maxay igu tari maxayse kaa tari? Nothing bro, absaloutely nothing. Somalis have alot of deeprooted problems and complexes I understand, but it is fastly becoming a thing of the past. Ignorance is ignorance; from all sides.

Salaan...

One crucial fact folks in this thread have overlooked: Soomaalida dalkooda Soomaaliya ayee u yaqaanaan. Whether a gumeysidoon Talyaani added a suffix xaraf "a" is irrelevant today. What is relevant is what dadkooda isku yaqaanaan. Anaga Soomaaliya ayaa dalkeena u aqoonsanahay. If that doesn't help you, magaca rasmiga, oo axdigii ugu horeeye meel walba ugu qornaa, waxaa waaye Jamhuuriyada Soomaali, markee dambena Kacaanka ku daray ereyga Dimuqraadiga.

Xataa haduu ereyga Soomaaliya ee xarafkiis dambe kasoo jeedo ereyga ugu dambeeyo "Somalia," it is, again, irrelevant today since it is Soomaalinized. I believe there is reason why it was Soomaalinized and our original Axdiga Qaranka didn't put a single "Somalia" noun in our constitution [i think].

I don't think a Talyaani gumeysidoon will recognize the word Soomaaliya.

Jarmalka caalamka afka Ingiriiska loogu hadlo Germany ayaa loogu yaqaanaa, iyagana Deutschland ayee isku yaqaanaan. Same with Switzerland. Qeybta Talyaaniga Svizzera, sadexda qeyb kalena mid gooni heystaan, laakiin magaca dhabta ah ee wadanka waxaa waaye Confoederatio Helvetica ee Laatiinka ah. The former Yugoslavia dadkooda dagan Jugoslavija ayee isku yaqaaneen.

Anaga Talyaani dalkiis Talyaaaniga aan dhahnaa, asaga Italia uu isku yaqaanaa, dadka af Ingiriiska ku hadlana Italy ee u yaqaanaan. Adduun badankiis ayaaba saan ku dhaqmo, ninba wadankiis wax u yaqaan ma'ahee wax kale loogu yaqaano caalamka.

Hadee caalamka dalkeena "Somalia" u aqoonsanyihiin, so be it. Waxaa daran sida caalamka kuu aqoonsanyihiin inaad adiga isku aqoonsato.

Kaligaa waalo wareer waaye, ha lagula waasho wanaag waaye aa maqli jiray. :D

Salaan...

One crucial fact folks in this thread have overlooked: Soomaalida dalkooda Soomaaliya ayee u yaqaanaan. Whether a gumeysidoon Talyaani added a suffix xaraf "a" is irrelevant today. What is relevant is what dadkooda isku yaqaanaan. Anaga Soomaaliya ayaa dalkeena u aqoonsanahay. If that doesn't help you, magaca rasmiga, oo axdigii ugu horeeye meel walba ugu qornaa, waxaa waaye Jamhuuriyada Soomaali, markee dambena Kacaanka ku daray ereyga Dimuqraadiga.

Xataa haduu ereyga Soomaaliya ee xarafkiis dambe kasoo jeedo ereyga ugu dambeeyo "Somalia," it is, again, irrelevant today since it is Soomaalinized. I believe there is reason why it was Soomaalinized and our original Axdiga Qaranka didn't put a single "Somalia" noun in our constitution [i think].

I don't think a Talyaani gumeysidoon will recognize the word Soomaaliya.

Jarmalka caalamka afka Ingiriiska loogu hadlo Germany ayaa loogu yaqaanaa, iyagana Deutschland ayee isku yaqaanaan. Same with Switzerland. Qeybta Talyaaniga Svizzera, sadexda qeyb kalena mid gooni heystaan, laakiin magaca dhabta ah ee wadanka waxaa waaye Confoederatio Helvetica ee Laatiinka ah. The former Yugoslavia dadkooda dagan Jugoslavija ayee isku yaqaaneen.

Anaga Talyaani dalkiis Talyaaaniga aan dhahnaa, asaga Italia uu isku yaqaanaa, dadka af Ingiriiska ku hadlana Italy ee u yaqaanaan. Adduun badankiis ayaaba saan ku dhaqmo, ninba wadankiis wax u yaqaan ma'ahee wax kale loogu yaqaano caalamka.

Hadee caalamka dalkeena "Somalia" u aqoonsanyihiin, so be it. Waxaa daran sida caalamka kuu aqoonsanyihiin inaad adiga isku aqoonsato.

Kaligaa waalo wareer waaye, ha lagula waasho wanaag waaye aa maqli jiray. :D

juba   

somalia is italian??

i thought SOO MAALIA meant "to milk" = soo maal ofcourse meaning to milk the camel. The camel is so much a part of our life that it became a part of our countries name!

thats what i've been told :confused: