Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

MIDWIVES---Hospital or Home?

Giving birth at home is something that women have been doing since, well, since they started giving birth.

Having your baby at a hospital is an idea that has only gained popularity during the twentieth century. In fact, it is estimated that as many as 90% of the world's current population was born at home. And considering that the world is six billion strong, it seems that giving birth at home doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

Have any of you ladies thought about giving birth at home with a midwife? (The state pays the midwives bills...so its free). Its often a neglected choice because pregant women and their partners are not informed of the alternatives choices that are available to them.

I had this interesting discussion at health class...which said that more women (although the numbers are very, very low) are choosing to have homebirths rather than at the hospital.

Homebirth provides many benefits beyond a safer birth. Some families choose homebirth because they believe that their home is the most appropriate place for a new baby to enter their family circle. Some families choose homebirth because they want control over all the circumstances of the birth, including who is present and what the caregiver does to the mother and baby. Furthermore, there are no risk of baby mix-ups and careless mistakes or procedures done my doctors.

It has been proven that home births are more safe, less stressful, and less painful than hospital births. The unfamiliarily of the hospital, the presence of doctors/nurses/numerous medical personnel and the various strange machines makes a women tense, anxious, and therefore intensifies the labour pains.

Even the World Health Organization has said that there is no proof that hospital births are safer than home births in the developed world. Most of the research on home births in the developed world has found that infant and maternal mortality rates are the same, if not better, than hospital rates.
There is also less chance of a woman having a cesarean, induced labour, or of a midwife needing to use forceps

Women who give birth in a hospital are much more likely to experience postpartum depression or even post traumatic stress disorder. The more interventions a woman experiences, the more likely she is to be depressed, with C-sections obviously carrying the greatest risk of depression

Midwives are just as qualified as doctors...and they help a women emotionally, physically and mentally deal with pregnancy and birth.

P.S. I realize that home-births arent for everyone. If a women is told that she would have a complicated pregancy...of course a hospital is the obvious choice.

nuune   

naagteyda uma ogoli inuu doctor ama midwives ay ka dhaliyaan, isbitaalna ma geynaayo, anaa qandaraaskaan qaadanaayo oo ka dhalinaayo.

ps. if u think what i said is not related to the topic, ignore plzzz

Wiilo   

Okey Okey we hear u man..........Gosh what is he saying,,,,,,okey,,,,,I see woman and child _______________ in hands of nuune...............

juba   

childbirth at home seems more peacful to me for some reason. no stressed doctors and nurses rushing in, no beeping medical equipment,no feeling of impatience, no drugs being induced..... it would be your own family thing in your own home. (exept the midwife)

but it also seems scary because their is no medical attention at hand if somehting goes wrong and no anestesia .but it would be worth it in the end.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Wilo:

Okey Okey we hear u man..........Gosh what is he saying,,,,,,okey,,,,,I see woman and child _______________ in hands of nuune...............

Scarry, right! Nuune walaalo, gabadhaada galaan duco ah iga gaadhsii.

Anyway, why would you not let her go to a doctor? Apparently, it’s recommended by some experts that it’s better for man not to see the actual birth as this can create a psychological disturbance of some sort in the couple’s relationship.

Home birth sounds like a good and convenient alternative. The bonus is that you'll be in your natural environment. However, what happens if there are complications (which is quiet common with Somalis sisters due to the fgm factor), you’d have to be moved onto a hospital.

Besides, I’d rather keep my home clean if you know what I mean I'm also a bit of a weakling when faced with certain scenes (that tend to linger in my head 4likeever :rolleyes: ). Imagine reliving child-birth on a daily basis. *shrugs*

Isbitaal in lagu dhex dhalo waaba qalad. Ma gaalaa nahay, maxaa keenay in istibaal lagu dhalo. Acuudu bilaah, ar maxaa dhaqankii laga tagay! Xageey ku dhasheen awoowe, ayeeyo, adeer, abti, abuulan, abkoow iyo aniga, soo guri dhexdiis ma aheyn?

Ilaahoow na baxso. Aamiin smile.gif

^^dadka adigoo kale eh baa dadki diinta kasii dheereynaya....inkastoo aad aniga iga dheereyni karin xariga alle. Istibitaal ama guri in lagu dhalo aa laga hadlaayay maxaa soo dhex geliyay gaalo ama dhaqan? Diinta sheegeyso in lagu dhali karin istibitaal ma ii sheegi kartaa?

Alle-ubaahane..fadlan diinta wax qallafsan haka dhigin.

Haye waa markii reer magaal la iska dhigi jiray. Ar yaa ogaado isbitaalka lagu ordaayo xitaa ineysan qaar idinka mid ah ku dhalanin. Diinta aa diiday maan dhahay mise meeshaas gaalada aa laga keenay iney ku dhasho, oo dhaqankeena waa guriga in lagu dhalo?

Soomaaliga ayaa qaraab kaa noqday, orod abaa garaash gee oo iska soo samee xoogaa dhinaca fahamka, ok. icon_razz.gif Fiiri, abaa maxaa ku jeceshihiin isbitaal oo xitaa laga yaabo in cirbad sun ah laguugu duro? Cajiib, gaalo waxay keento lee lagu ordaa mar walba!

Originally posted by Simply_the_Best:

^maya maya aniga kuma jiro sanadkaan iyo kan ku xigaba xitaa

hadey noqotana Istibitaalka lee isgeenaa

But how come you ladies start things at home, and not finish in it? I mean, waxaa la isku qalijiyaa meeshaad ku qubeysatay, right? You do things at home, (the fertilization process) and you harvest at home. That is fair enough, I guess. Now, if that looks bad to you, then you should consider doing the (fertilization process) at the hospital and finish in it. Yeah that is right. Its all about position rights, by finishing what you start in the same place. :D

^^^did any1 ever tell u that u r not 100% Ok? NO? well let me b the first then.....U R NOT OK AT ALL, U NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP!

start in the hospital...finish in the hospital... :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Well.... its definately a matter of opinions, esp. different cultural opinions. Our real somali women finish what they start in the same place. But you disagree with that, ok no problem. Follow your reer galbeed people and allow them to operate you when they can easily do the regular way.

Haye hada, nabadeey oo maalin wanaagsan, waxaad reer galbeed ka heshidna waxna ha iga siin. Uruursimo Alle, aniga waan baxay ee Jacaylbaro bal weydii inuu igu fikrad yahay iyo inkale. :D