Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

SOMALIA: Up to 40,000 civilians flee Mogadishu

NAIROBI, 15 March 2007 (IRIN) - Escalating violence and insecurity in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, forced at least 40,000 civilians to flee the city in February, United Nations humanitarian agencies working in the country have said.

"Insecurity, fear of attacks, removal from public buildings and outright violence are the main reasons for the movement of peoples and more than 40,000 people have left Mogadishu in the past month," the agencies said in a February situation report released on Wednesday.

Insecurity had also affected the ability of humanitarian organisations to respond to emergencies and emerging needs. "The insecurity has restricted mobility and access and this undermines efforts to re-engage at a level that would be a commensurate response to humanitarian needs," they said.

Although cross-border movement of humanitarian supplies along the Kenya-Somali border had improved, movement of asylum-seekers remained impossible.

The conflict in Somalia has lasted for 16 years and displaced millions. In early March, the first troops with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) arrived in Mogadishu.

Flooding in late-2006 also contributed to food insecurity. As a result, one million Somalis, including 400,000 people displaced countrywide, will need food aid in the next six months. "Somalia remains chronically food insecure, with IDPs [internally displaced persons] extremely vulnerable," the report said.

According to the agencies, other factors could aggravate food security, including continued localised conflict, concern over Rift Valley Fever, which is still unconfirmed, and associated potential flooding.

An increase in acute watery diarrhoea had also been reported, with a total of 3,633 cases throughout southern Somalia so far, including 143 deaths. These increased cases have been linked to post-flooding conditions, lack of access to safe drinking water and poor hygiene and sanitation practices.

"Given the current context, it is essential that the creation of an enabling environment for the delivery of humanitarian assistance is supported and partners remain committed to the process of stabilisation and reconciliation, building on positive developments and new opportunities for access," the agencies said.

The report was released as the Somali government announced it was planning a national reconciliation conference in April. Speaking to reporters in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi, Prime Minister Ali Muhammad Gedi appealed for US$42 million to help improve security in Mogadishu before the conference.

The ppl that are fleeing, have been qaxootis in Mogadishu during the last decades that past. It's reer badi ppl that moved in to the city when the earlier city ppl left at the outbreak of the first civil war. They are mostly the ppl that have unseemly been occopying government and public buildings. Most certainly there is a number of actual "normal civilians" fleeing from their right homes but the largest number fall in the group that was earlier mentioned.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by TheSomaliEconomist:

The ppl that are fleeing, have been qaxootis in Mogadishu during the last decades that past. It's reer badi ppl that moved in to the city when the earlier city ppl left at the outbreak of the first civil war. They are mostly the ppl that have unseemly been occopying government and public buildings. Most certainly there is a number of actual "normal civilians" fleeing from their right homes but the largest number fall in the group that was earlier mentioned.

Economist you are a shameful tribal ******* and until your kind are alive, never will see complete peace. Do you know anything about "do unto others what you want them to do to you"? Besides that I have had family members fleeing Mogadishu and they are most certainly not new to that city!

[ March 15, 2007, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

A flip flopper accusing some one of tribal bigotry is no miracle.Economist has a point,there are pple who unlawfully occupy houses,farms,Government buildings and etc,that doesn't belong to them.

Its tragic but those who lost the minute war and then started out of anger to send mortars and assasinate people are to blame. The sooner they are dealt with the better for all.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Captain Xalane:

A flip flopper accusing some one of tribal bigotry is no miracle.Economist has a point,there are pple who unlawfully occupy houses,farms,Government buildings and etc,that doesn't belong to them.

A flip flopper you say? Is that supposed to be some sort of insult coming from a soul that has no conscience, that cannot deduce between right and wrong, humanity and lack of? You have a problem admitting your wrongs and psychologically I am not in the mood to analyze it. Halkaa nagu kala reeb.

What insults are u talking about? U like ur cousin (forgot his nick) flip flopped and all for what?And yeah one more thing,aren't u the dude that was emotional and all tears and bid the forum a farewell?Aah,maybe its the nick change that brought about some double personallity thing.As for right and wrong,u are right.Flip flopping suits u just fine.Now,enough of ur earlier submission and ******* like winks,come up with something concrete or retire and come back when u grow some beard.

[ March 15, 2007, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Gabbal   

Are you sure you have the right person? Indeed are you even sure you are talking to the right person? For one I suggest you space your sentences and in the second thoroughly understand why cyper mediums such as this exist.

Gabbal   

Somehow I think emotion affects you more then the average individual. What sort of demons are you running from when you show unrelenting lack of mercy at the misfortune of others?

I sure aint running from the same demons that forced u to flip flopp.By the way,philanthropists are highly needed these days,but then i almost forgot,u were just another wannabe.All the same my stances are very clear,are urs clear?What a wicked question,ofcourse they aren't for if they were,u wouldn't be flip flopping,Right mr.Horn?

P.s.Horn,how could i be talking of some one else when i was witnessing ur cry me a river thing.Dude,grow up some beard and then come back here.

Gabbal   

Does my moral stance cut you deep? Judging by your reaction, I would say all is not lost. Only a feeling man cares and you my friend are not as icy as you would like us to believe.

Honestly,nothing gives me pleasure than see fellows like u embarrassing themselves over and over again.What moral stances would a flip flopper ever have?Do u know what a moral stance really is?Maybe u are confused but then again,don't u have the right to?

Originally posted by TheSomaliEconomist:

The ppl that are fleeing, have been qaxootis in Mogadishu during the last decades that past.

The correct term is Internally Displaced Persons, they're 10s of thousands of them in Mogadishu and other major cities across Somalia. What drew them there is the same as what drove out the initial residents of the cities. War. Cities have medical services, aid organisations and other modern amenities that are indispensable to the impovershed and needy.

These destitute and famished people mostly comprise the so called "occupiers of looted property" in Mogadishu. Looted properties is really misnomer pertaining to these because most of them don't assert ownership over their dwellings if seriously challenged. If you've been to Mogadishu before the current confligration you'll note many lived in abject conditions, often living out of partially destroyed "private properties". I call these people squatters of vacant properties. Most will readily vacate if conditions permit, so there's essentially no problem of getting back any honesty gained property of yours when everything settles down again.

[/qb]They are mostly the ppl that have unseemly been occopying government and public buildings.

[/qb]

What is it to you if they occupy public and government lands? It's not your land.