Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

The end of Erdogan?

Illyria   

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Friday called on the nation to open the door for the "Century of Türkiye" by voting for him in the second round of presidential elections on May 28.

“We believe that on May 28, we will stick to the 'Century of Türkiye' and continue our journey toward a great and powerful Türkiye,” Erdoğan wrote on social media.

He reiterated that he and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) have kept their promises and brought many services to the people in all 81 provinces.

WWW.DAILYSABAH.COM

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Friday called on the nation to open the door for the 'Century of Türkiye' by...

Honestly, what was Turkiga before him two decades ago other than a perennially broke, prone to coups, forever begging E.U. for admittance. Greece was more powerful and influential than them. Heck Liibiya's Qadaafi was.

I remember seeing a family friend who came back to Nayroobi in 1994 after several years in Istanbuul. The guy looked like a homeless, Turkiga meel ma'aha ku haaye.

Now Turkiga has one of the top airlines in the world. Biggest airport in Yurub, with one of the most visited countries. All these mega infrastructures and projects, an economic and military powerhouse. And much respected in the ummah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Honestly, what was Turkiga before him two decades ago other than a perennially broke, prone to coups, forever begging E.U. for admittance. Greece was more powerful and influential than them. Heck Liibiya's Qadaafi was.

I remember seeing a family friend who came back to Nayroobi in 1994 after several years in Istanbuul. The guy looked like a homeless, Turkiga meel ma'aha ku haaye.

Now Turkiga has one of the top airlines in the world. Biggest airport in Yurub, with one of the most visited countries. All these mega infrastructures and projects, an economic and military powerhouse. And much respected in the ummah.

Yes, they were very poor

Illyria   

I have been visiting Turkiye for the past 15+ years, and would concur discernible progress, economic or otherwise, had been made over the years, yet Erdogan has done some terrible things, esp. post the failed 2016 coup d'etat. That is more noticeable in rural parts of the country, and away from the major cities, which is where one could observe the economic progress. The same applies to China (720 million people, of 740 million living below poverty line, had been moved from poverty to middle class from 1978 - 2016), and other developing nations.

galbeedi   

You are right, he should have minimized the crackdown of those suspected of the Gulen Movement. I hope in his last term he should concentrate building strong alliances with Turkic nations and stabilize the Lira.

Stable Syria, Iraq and Libya will make Turkiye more prosperous with trade, especially the Libyans with oil and one of the strongest currencies. Rebuilding these nations will impact the Turkish export and construction industry.

• Like 1

Illyria   

Erdoğan calls on Kılıçdaroğlu to 'reveal details of deal with HDP', a pro-PKK Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), now also known as the Green Left Party (YSP).

"Kılıçdaroğlu says vote for me if you want Selo (Demirtaş) to be released from prison. What type of law is this?" Erdoğan asked, noting that his pledge violates the principle of the rule of law as it interferes with the judiciary's decision.

Kılıçdaroğlu criticized for scattering promises around to garner votes in the second round of elections.

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-calls-on-kilicdaroglu-to-reveal-details-of-deal-with-hdp-183477

Illyria   

With 98 +/- %, Erdogan leading by 52+% with Kamal K trailing by 48+%; In Istanbul, Kamal K is leading by 51+% with Erdogan teailing by 48+%.

Türkiye elections: World leaders congratulate Erdogan on 'historic victory'

World leaders have extended their congratulatory messages to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan following his victory in the presidential runoff.

Erdogan secured a commanding win on Sunday, amassing over 27 million votes in the face of opposition candidate Kemal Kilicdaroglu’s showing over 25 million votes.

As international leaders join in extending their felicitations to Erdogan, Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad was the first world leader to congratulate Erdogan, writing on social media.

"My dear brother Recep Tayyip Erdogan, congratulations on your victory - I wish you success in your new term - I wish for our strong relations to further our countries' development & growth."

Under Erdogan, Türkiye was one of the first countries that aided Qatar after a blockade was imposed by its Gulf neighbours in 2017.

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh also issued a congratulatory message to Erdogan and the Turkish people for the president's election victory.

Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the election victory "was a natural result of your selfless work" of Erdogan as leader of Türkiye.

"We highly appreciate your personal contribution to the strengthening of friendly Russian-Turkish relations and mutually beneficial cooperation in various areas," Putin said.

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban also sent his message, praising, Erdogan's "unquestionable election victory".

In a lengthy message posted on Twitter, Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif called Erdogan's victory "historic".

"He is one of few world leaders whose politics has been anchored in public service. He has been a pillar of strength for the oppressed Muslims & a fervent voice for their inalienable rights."

"I keenly look forward to working with him to further deepen our strategic partnership in line with the excellent brotherhood between our two peoples."

Meanwhile, Somalia's President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was the first African leader to congratulate Erdogan.

In a social media post, he wrote, "It’s a true testament to your great leadership. As such, I join billions world-wide who prayed for you & the people of Türkiye towards this success."

Videos posted on social media also showed celebrations in Syria and Azerbaijan after it Erdogan's victory became clear.

Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev also congratulated President Erdogan on reelection in a phone call, inviting him to visit Baku in the near future.

- TRT World