Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Ethiopian army will leave Somali soil “only when Somalis make peace among themselves

Fabregas   

quote:On Ethiopian troops, the Prime Minister said the opposition does not have the leverage to demand an Ethiopian withdrawal without first achieving victory in the reconciliation process.

He reiterated his stance that the Ethiopian army will leave Somali soil “only when Somalis make peace among themselves,” at which point Ethiopian troops will withdraw “within 24 hours

Fabregas   

I swear Meles Zenawi said his troops will stay in Somalia so long as there are terrorists? Furthermore, he said they crushed them and would hence leave in 2 weeks. More then a year later: we are told they are waiting around for SOmalis to make peace! What if Somalis don't make peace for 20 years?

me   

Ethiopian army will leave Somali soil “only when Somalis make peace among themselves,” at which point Ethiopian troops will withdraw

Whats wrong with that statement? should they leave while we are still killing each other? will we have a miraculous peace when the Ethio's leave?

Are Ethio's the problem or just a symptom of the problem in Somalia? First we make peace and then they will leave whether they want to or not.

My personal opinion today is the Ethiopian presence has it's advantages, if we put national pride aside (pride we lost a long long time ago) we should first make peace amongst ourselves before we can talk about the Ethiopians. There is not a sane Somali that doesn't know that Ethiopia is sabotaging every effort we make towards peace and reconciliation. But the biggest obstacle against peace in Somalia is corrupt leaders who have no long term vision and mistrust amongst the Somalis.

First lets plan for what will happen when the Ethio's get kicked out, only then should they be kicked out. It will be another disaster if they leave without us getting our shid together.

^you got the whole equation backwards. Ethiopian occupation is what's causing all the deaths and misery. The occupation has to end before environment conducive to negotiation can prevail. Or the very least, the TFG has to get down from Ethiopian tanks and the Ethiopian tanks must point away their tank from TFG opponents. You need level playing field to have fruitful peace talks.

me   

^This is a not between warring factions. It's between all Somalis. It would be easy if it were one group TFG versus Wadaado. It's much bigger then that and the Ethio's are not the problem. The sooner we realize the problem is how we Somalis view each other and how much we are willing to killing there will always be parties that would take advantage. The problem is between me, you, hebel and heblaayo. We gave the chance to Ethio's because we decided we can't live together in peace and we decided to do injustice against each other.

So first we should get our hearts and minds cleaned up and see where our interests lie, only then can we oppose our enemies. But as long as we see each other as enemies, we will get nowhere.

We need to start respecting each other and our institutions as long as we do not respect each other, what’s the point of living together?

Who will replace these TFG dabodhil*fs? Who will replace the Ethio occupation? Will we go back to the period before December 2006?

First the majority of the Somalis should find peace in their hearts and start respecting their fellow citizens. The sooner we do that; the sooner this era of jahwareer can end.

Me, you couldn't be more wrong. Without Ethiopian occupation we wouldn't be in this dire pass. There wouldn't be hundreds of thousands of refugees, thousands dead, thousands more injured, food scarcity etc... Yes, there is a mistrust or sometimes outright enmity between Somalis and Somalis will ultimately have to make peace among themselves. But this brutal military occupation which has created Africa's worst humanitarian emergency has little to do with the old Somali-on-Somali conflict.

The TFG is the ******* child of SRRC, an organization created by Ethiopia to oppose Arta produced government. Why did C.yuusuf, c. qeybdiid, madobe, hiraale, h. ceydiid, m dheere et al oppose C. Qaasim's government? What do they all have in common? Contrary to what you assert, TFG is just one (Embaghati faction) of many many many factions in Somalia. The TFG is neither representative nor legit... it's discredited all across Somalia from Saylac to Ras Kamboni. The whole world has come to this realization, hence why they're desperately attempting to "broaden" the TFG to include all interest groups.

Your argument is like saying the vicious sectarian fighting taking place in Iraq today is entirely the fault of Iraqis themselves. While it is true it is Iraqis doing a lot of the fighting and killing, the fact remains without US invasion and subsequent occupation there would be no civil war in Iraq.

Ending Ethiopia's occupation is the necessary condition that must attain but prolly not the sufficient condition. By that I mean so long as Ethiopia occupies Somalia there will be no chance of peace. But ending Ethiopia's occupation will probably not be sufficient to produce peace. More needs to be done. So, the top priority is ending the occupation then peace talks supervised by the UN or some other neutral third party.

me   

I do not disagree with anything you posted.

I am just saying, the Ethios don't have to leave for us to make peace, it's not a precondition to reconciliations. First the peaceloving Somalis that want justice should make peace amongst themselves and then face the Ethiopians and those that work for them.

Also we should learn from the overthrow of Siad Bare.

I don't trust these wadaado, whats their plan? what will happen if they win? Why don't they tell us what their plan is for Somalia?

Gar-haye   

^^^"There is not a sane Somali that doesn't know that Ethiopia is sabotaging every effort we make towards peace and reconciliation"

i guess you said it all. no need to Waste time on peace as long as ethiopia is in somali soil.

Me, if you don't disagree with what I've said then tell me what you mean by this " the Ethios don't have to leave for us to make peace"... how exactly can you make peace when Somalia is in the grip of anti-occupation struggle?

^ so Ethiopia is responsible for nearly decades of statelessness, disintegration, civil war, warlord ism, and terrorism? Ethiopia had a magical tool to control all the characters, warlords, "hogamiyes", "sisyasis", regional administrations, "islamic courts" and transitional governments sense 1991?

me   

What do you guys want? Fight Ethiopia and its stooges? Go right ahead. I will cheer you on.

But to have real effect first there should be consensus and unity amongst the Somalis (I am not talking about stooges and hired guns here).

I would also like to see what we should fight for. I am sorry but what’s the point of spilling blood just in order to replace one tyrant with another? Or worse to go back to the period before 26 December 2006.

First we need to get our shid together only then can we face the Ethiopians. Hadii kale by all means continue your fist waving and good luck fighting the Ethiopians while the rest of the Somalis stand on the sidelines and watch you get slaughtered.

Ilaahay maskax ayuu ku siiyay isticmaal!

First build a support base, come with a message that the majority of the people can find themselves in. Get support in all regions, share your vision with the rest and then start your fight.

Everyone sees what the crimes being committed everyday, but lets not waste time with half a$$ed shid. There are many ways to fight, you can go unprepared into battle and get slaughtered like those young men in December 26 or you can bide your time and prepare.

This anti-occupation struggle will not succeed unless there is a united Somali front. Do you want results? The fastest way to results is by negotiating with fellow Somalis.

Ps. check that thread on reconciliation that Xiinfiniin was propelling.

me   

Ethiopia's main weapon against us is not it's tanks or it's troops. It's main weapon against us is our lack of unity.

They play us out against each other. Let's deny them that weapon by talking together and working together to solve our problems.

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

^ so Ethiopia is responsible for nearly decades of statelessness, disintegration, civil war, warlord ism, and terrorism? Ethiopia had a magical tool to control all the characters, warlords, "hogamiyes", "sisyasis", regional administrations, "islamic courts" and transitional governments sense 1991?

Not only since 1991 but all the way back to '77 war. For all the jabhads Somalia has seen since the mid 70s, ask yourself the following questions: Who trained them? Who financed them? Who armed them? Who kept arming them long after the last Somali government was overthrown?

The answer to all those questions is Ethiopia.

I don't want the Somali people to be punished twice. First time when Ethiopia sent its lapdogs to overthrow our government. Second time when it invaded us so as to impose on the Somali people warlords they emphatically rejected while claiming to be fighting other Somali warlords.

Originally posted by me:

What do you guys want?

Let me tell you what we want. We want JUSTICE. Nothing less, nothing more. Justice is the prerequisite for peace. No justice, no peace. That's all the Somali ppl ask for. They don't want phony peace conferences that never produce anything. They don't want foreigners telling them what they should do. And they definitely don't need the help of a genius from Addis Ababa. Somali people want all the warlords and assorted thugs responsible for their current predicament and every injustice that has transpired for the past 20 years to be brought to justice. We want an end to the unbearable spectacle of war criminals and mass murderers masquerading as leaders. That's not asking too much, is it?

Striving for justice means opposing the greatest injustice known to mankind: military occupation. Once the military occupation of Somalia ends, so will 90% of our ills. Warlords and criminal leaders will be no more. At that point Somalis can come together as free people, sans warlords and enemies of the Somali people, and create a government of national unity.

I forgot to comment on this:

Originally posted by me:

Or worse to go back to the period before 26 December 2006.

That period was heaven to what's taking place now and the looming famine that will kill hundreds of thousands of Somalis.

The fastest way to results is by negotiating with fellow Somalis.

That's odd. I thought it was Ethiopians occupying Somalia and not fellow Somalis.

Ps. check that thread on reconciliation that Xiinfiniin was propelling.

In which section?