Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

~!B-Ball Fanatics!~ -College/Pro-

Soccer fans are very passionate, but so are basketball fans...

Basketball needs to be promoted as much as soccer in european countries...I know that europeans, especially the english fans and the italian or spanish fans would rather watch soccer than eat...but its about time that y'all opened your eyes to basketball a bit more...

I've noticed that the european players that are in the NBA are as much talented even more than the American players...

So, why isn't basketball popular in england as much as soccer is or any other country in europe???

Abdinuur   

Well in my opinion of view, basketball in England isn't as diverse as in the United States. I mean most NBA players are black or a minority type. Besides there are talented basketball players in England and I don't know why they aren't acknowledged!

One thing that I don't understand is that in the United States, when an NBA team wins a championship, they declare it as the WORLD CHAMPION as if they played with other countries or 'world'...It just don't make no sense! :mad:

Anyhow, ya'll take it easy!

LoL@ abdinuur, that's cuz Americans are arrogant!!! Personally, I can't handle watching soccer more than once a year.....n' that's the honest truth.

The reason being, NBA is the highest ranked in the world, meaning a basketball player can't achieve more than the NBA???

A basketball player, whether he/she is international or nor might start playing ball at the park across his/her house, and move on to elementary school team, then highschool/college and once a player achieves all of the above...might even play for his/her country...but the highest a player can go in this business is the NBA.

About a decade or two ago, there weren't hardly any international players, but that number is increasing dramatically now...therefore, a player who played for the united kingdom or the italiy team or the russians and so forth, might have accomplished a great deal in his country but his/her dream is to play in the NBA and NOW WNBA for women...and I guess that is the reason why the NBA championships is referred to as "WORLD CHAMPIONS"

Good point Abdinuur and so is the case with baseball when they refer to the playoffs finals as the World Series. I mean whose world are they talking about here. Frankly both sport are VERY VERY VERY boring.

GOOOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY.

Hockey_Beaver_facing_Right.gif

Truth to be said though, the best talents in the world are found in the NBA (show me the money) and if there are any players out there in Europe who are more talented, then, I am sure the scouts will get their hands on them. Talent is a big money maker for NBA team owners.

TRIPLE S   

IN REPLY TO THE ORIGINAL POST!

BASKETBALL IS THE FASTEST GROWING SPORT IN THE WORLD.SLOWLY AND GRADUALLY THE U.S. IS LOSING ITS DOMINANCE IN THE SPORT ( DON'T BELIEVE? WHAT HUMBLE POSITION DID AMERICA WIND DOWN WITH IN THE WORLD CHAMPINSHIPS!)

BASKETBALL IS MASSIVE IN EUROPE YOU CAN JUST LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF EUROPEAN PLAYERS COMING INTO THE LEAGUE AND MAKING NOISE....MOST NOTABLY DIRK NOWOTSKI OF THE MAVERICKS.

AS FOR THE U.K. THE SCENE IS BUILDING,HOWEVER, WE ALSO HAD THE NUMBER 1 PICK IN THE 98DRAFT. MICHAEL OLOWKANDI (CENTER FOR THE LA CLIPPERS). BUT THE SAVE THE BEST TILL LAST. ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE HIGHSCHOOL RANKS IN AMERICA IS BRITISH.6'7 WITH HANDLE,HOPS AND SIZE IS A YOUNG SUDANESE FROM LONDON. US AND THE WORLD BEWARE FOR ,LUOL DENG..LUOL DENG...LUOL DENG...LUOL DENG

Basketball is a gr8 spectartor sport, for somethin like NBA final's, howvere to watch it all year around, na i think its abit to repetitive, besides its not somethin that most ppl here in the uk particapte in.

Where as am sure in the us, its the other way around with the home grown sports, i.e. Basketball Baseball American hand ball :D , domenating and soccer popularoty is confined to the womens game only.

Haaruun   

COM'N SHUJUI, bakestball is da #1 game 4da somalis who live here (N/America) and we can watch it 24/7...there's a Soccer tournimant called Somali Week and it's held in Toronto..Teams from all over Norht America take part of this...it's the only major thing interms of sport that somalis look 4ward to....other than week, somalis run after the basket ball.

HAARUN, its true that B-ball is my all-time favourite sport, but I do have other interest in sports besides b-ball..so don't say all somalis..MOST SOMALI PPLE IN NORTH AMERICA MIGHT KNOW WHO MJ IS OR WHO MAGIC WAS AND WHAT ROLE HE PLAYED IN THE GAME...BUT IF IT REALLY CAME DOWN TO IT, A TRUE BALLER/FAN OF THE GAME WOULD HAVE TO KNOW WHO WAS THE FIRST ROOKIE OF ALL TIME, THE ALL-TIME ASSIST, SCORING LEADER AND SUCH...WHO WON THE FIRST MVP??? JUST BECUZ SOME FARRAHS STARTED WATCHING THE GAME IN THE LAST 3-5 YRS, DOESNT MAKE THEM FANS..OR THEY SEEN JAAMAC WHO IS INTO THE SPORT..SO DONT SAY ALL SOMALIS, BECUZ Y'ALL QAXOOTIS DONT KNOW SHIT BOUT B-BALL...BUT I COULD BE WRONG..oh well

Haaruun   

LayzieGirl, yes u r wrong. I wonder u got left with only one star,, can I say it's 'cuz puting down ur own pple by using ur shameless tongue..........All yo qaxootis ku lahaa :mad:

Lefty   

Hey..LayzieGirl

I didn't know you were that much B-Ball fanatic. Don't worry about it I'm sure you're not alone. But Lately, I'm turning more into College games(March Madness) than NBA. The Pro-Game is getting full of Players' Egos and self-centered performances.

The reason this game isn't popular in Europe is they already have well admired and universal Game called Football or Soccer. Any other games would always be after Soccer!

The Closer, The Warmer and The Better!

HAARUN, gettin' one star, two stars or more is probably the highlight of your day..but as for lil ole me, I didn't ask for a star....but someone had the audacity to give me a rating without my permission ??? ..anyhow, getting back to the issue@hand, I'm an immigrant, I will always be an immigrant...but being a refugee is what you are good@haarun, and if you think thats harsh, deal with it.

Yes, lefty, I'm a huge fan...whether its a pro league or the ncaa.

A fellow forumer made a good argument and said that the league(NBA) and its players better watch what's coming.(BARKLEY SAID IT A WHILE BACK)

Yes, the world is catching up, yes I've had the chance to catch couple games from the world championship games this past summer and as sad as this might seem, I was amazed by the power argentina holds or the talent the yugoslavians have had over the years. U.S.A team weren't playing a team game and I have plenty of players to point my finger to but the main player was PAUL PIERCE...he thought he was still playing for the celtics and it was one or two man show, while walker sits down...but with injuries and the lack of preparation, as far as letting jason williams take part of the world championship games all play a huge factor for their loss and embrassment.

I would list a whole bunch of faults THAT COACH CARL MADE, BUT THE BETTER TEAM WOn THE TROPHY..thats all there is to it...

I know the game isn't as fun as it use to be, in a professional level and I'm getting tired of watching some of these players...but the league has no one to blame but themselves. Not every kobie wanna-be deserves a huge contract, not all 18 yr olds deserve to even step on the floor with the likes of shaq, kidd, garnett, malone and stockton...but does popularity and fame play a huge part of the disappointment of the so called greats of this era in the game???HELL YEA

LazyG..are you sure you aren't nba analyst or sport caster...cuz i have to give ya props on ya nba insider knowledge..i ma self love the game..but like some of you say lately there weren't any good rivalries between teams..sacremanto and LA might be the closest one going now..and comparing east and west is just missmatch..so that makes finals less excitement..especially last year i rather see the sacremanto and LA serious in the finals than the Nets and LA cuz that was more entertaining...hopefully this year might change cuz some of the east teams got better with addition to free agents..except ma team da Knicks..it seems it will be another disappointing season with da injuries they have to spree and antonia...anyhow..i gotta stop here..lol...befo i write a whole article or something..

WingA   

So, why isn't basketball popular in england as much as soccer is or any other country in europe???

well the thing is, in england its all about football aka soccer and there are no live games on british t.v.. i love b'ball and when i was in canada in march-april i watched it as much as i could even the college games final in some Video games, Bar and resturant in toronto which was great even watched ice hockey!! but the thing is, british t.v only show highlights on weekends and its not fair but thats life here in england.. i had an angry customer who was american and he was pissed the superball wasnt being shown on t.v here so i guess its down to the t.v operaters to show what they want!!

the only live show we get here is the Oscars!! lool..

peez..