Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Women Candidates Launch Political Campaign

Fyr   

Women Candidates Launch Political Campaign

Hargeisa, August 5, 2005 – Women candidates from the 3 political parties launch their campaign for the parliamentary election, which will be held on September 15, 2—5 at the end of a 5 day workshop on raising women awareness in politics, political campaigns and function of parliament.

Ms. Fadumo Sudi, Minister of Family Welfare and Social Development in a speech at a closing ceremony of the workshop financed by SILICK of Sweden said “I am happy to be here with 7 women candidates for the parliamentary elections. I would have been happier if you were already elected. I wish you all success for it means that women will take part in decision making bodies.

The Minister urged all women to vote for women candidates saying “You should vote for women candidates even if your husbands, brothers or sons are also candidates.†Ms. Ikran Hagi Da’ud of opposition KULMIYE party from Awdal region speaking about what her priorities said, “I have been part of the nation building process., I know the needs of my region and the way to tackle them and I will do that.â€

Ms. Hodan Abdi Hussein of the ruling party UDUB from Sool region said “Two administrations from Somaliland and Puntland exist in my region because regional politicians forced the people to be in such a situation. I need to make the change men had failed to achieve. Women are not only the majority, but have been exploited and dominated. I will unite them to make changes in the region.

Ms. Anisa Hagi Abdi Awad of the opposition Justice and Welfare Party (UCID) Hargesia said “A log of unfulfilled promises have made to the people from such a platform. I will not say that I will turn the salty water to honey, build skyscraper or end hunger. If elected I will strive hard to improve the condition of life of the poor and low income groups.†Ms. Nim’o Hussein Qowdhan from KULMIYE Hargiesa said “If elected I will see that the constitution and the law are respected in parliament. I believe that women today are more efficient and more loyal to their country than men, I will see that laws are passed to deal with society related problems as well as business problems. I urge all voters particularly women to vote for their representatives... for usâ€

(As published in The Republican, one of Somaliland’s weekly English paper)

Posted by Yvette Lopez

Rahima   

This is fantastic news. Mashallah, am very proud of the sisters.

Wholeheartedly I do believe they will be more successful then their male counterparts for the ego factor is eliminated. They have their priorities set right and with that i pray that Allah assists them in that which is good and forgives them for their shortcomings.