Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Cabdiqaasim vs. Cabdullahi Yusuf

Who would you vote for?

I found this to be a very interesting story. The mogadishu based newspaper AYAAMAHA has done a poll on who people would vote for as the next president of Somalia. The poll done on the paper's internet website and surprisingly the votes came very close to each other. More than one hundred and ten thousand nomads voted and here is the result.

111,576 votes casted

Cabdiqaasim Salad: 57953 or 52%

Cabdullahi Yusuf: 53623 or 48%

I was actually impressed by the number of voters who took part in the voting process. One hundred thousand is unprecedented for Somalis voting on the internet.

So I did a little research on the two candidates and here is what I came up with after talking to some friends.

Cabdiqaasim Salad Xasan

Good things they say about him:

- A religeous leader

- Non-military

- Moderate on his tribal views

- wadani

- good politician,

- would have been a good president if times were not hard.

- flexible for change

- Generous

- Nin af gaaban

- Very well educated

Bad things they say about him:

- tricky tribalist

- corrupt

- manipulative

- power-hungry

- supports terrorists

- took sides on the Kismayo tribal fighting

- Could not even bring peace to part of Mogadishu

- Not good at dealing with warlords

- Not very affective on foriegn policy

- a puppet for Djibouti and the Arabs

Cabdullahi Yusuf

Good things they say about him:

- A Strong leader

- beliefs more in merit and loyalty than tribal affiliation

- Can bring factions together because of his combative personality

- no-nonsense guy

- warrior

- Not afraid to say what he wants to say

- Good at negotiating with Guurti elders

- Good at building govermental institutions

- Beliefs in disarming all the tribes

- The founder of the Puntland State

Bad things they say about him:

- born murderer

- always blood-thursty

- will do anything to stay on power

- trash talker,

- not a good politician

- arrogant dictator

- founder of SSDF dhafoorqiiq murderers

- anti-wadaad

- a puppet for USA and Ethiopia

- Believes in bringing peace to Somalia by force

Now, Who would you vote for? Please, post your comments also :D

Gabbal   

I voted for Abdiqasim .

This really had me cracking!

- beliefs more in merit than tribal affiliation

Abullahi yusuf was the first person to set up a qabiil based militia in modern Somalia's history. But then all the other warlords would have taken his position if they had the chance.

Matkey   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Who would you vote for?

Now, Who would you vote for? Please, post your comments also
:D

Don’t you think it is premature to talk about an election in that part of the country? It seems to me that we have not learnt from our past mistakes. These two men don’t represent the other parts of the country, where majority of Somalis live. You are disregarding the other part such as Kismaayo, Marka, Bay, Bakool….. Do people who reside these regions have a voice? Isn’t time for them to control their own destiny? I thought we passed this stage—nomadic mentality, which empade us from moving forward. Besides they have political contenders for the leadership as well as those you have mentioned. Shouldn’t you include those contenders so that we could have a fair “election” My brother, on what ground are these two men fit the leadership? One thing I know is that they are not more qualified than the others; moreover, none of them has any support from those parts of the country. LST, aren’t you suppose to gauge the political ramification of the question you have posted? Because one would think that your question is carrying different denotation—Yusuf and Qasim are suitable for the leadership in order to end the antagonism between their tribes. Well my brother, the other Somalis have became cynical about……. They too want to play major role in the political spectrum. In fact t they are the one who should be given a chance because they don’t have the historical antagonism that exist between other tribes. They have lived peacefully before their ways of live were interrupted by—

I tried my best to abstain from mentioning any names or tribes. However, anyone with objective approach comprehends my underlying argument of Somali politics and history.

If this is not the right forum or site for discussing the issues I have raised, then, I must said I am in the wrong site or forum

MATKEY

Bachelor   

My vote goes to A/qaasim and here are the few reasons that i prefare him over A. Yussuf. As long as he is not blood trusty and has not done any crimin he will get my vote. Secondly, i rather be puppet to Arabs and Djibouti than Xabasha. Third, if defending your country condistered as a terrorist so be it. ;) . Hey somali do not need any arrogant and dictatorship any more.

Paragon   

I voted for C/Qasiim. C/Yussuf fails my test with his Ethiopian affiliation. While C/Qassim however biased he may be is Wadani. That does it for me.

Matkey, you and I have no voice and we can only discuss issues here. Cherish the politics forum and defend it with dignity :D

The truth is that ELDORET is actually considering making one of these guys the next president.

I just thought it was an interesting dillema.

Grinov   

i hate you libaax! why didn't you give us more choices. its a very tough decision, but i would vote for abdullahi yusuf and this is why.

he is a murdurer and a traitor, but he has the politicall savyness, and the U.S and Ethiopian backing that will ensure the initial success of the government. in few years , insha allah he will die of his liver problems, while somalia will get a better leader to build on his success.

thats my take and iam sticking to it

Ha ha that's funny

But i vote for no one redface.gif WHY? they both are murders and traitors! i also heard abdi qaasim use to work for the U.S.?? dunno know maybe it's just rumors

One of Abdulahiyusuf's famous statements at the peace talks:

"these hooligans in Mogadishu chasing each other with the AK-47 need to realize that I am coming soon"

looooool.

That was very funny. Negotiations failed, so he wants to try force with warlords. Not a bad idea

i voted for abdullah yussuf

RaMpAgE   

"these hooligans in Mogadishu chasing each other with the AK-47 need to realize that I am coming soon"

A/yusuf is either stupid or blind. He shouldn't even think about getting involved with those down in mogadishu. once they turn on him hes basicly finished.

As for the voting

i chose c/qasim because hes good things seems too have some good qaulities and haven't heard of him killing innocent people( mayeb i could be wrong).

ZOLA   

THANK U CHE-G.....U SAID IT ALL.... AM NOT INTO SOMALI POLITICS AND I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT QAASIM ......BUT I BET U HE IS 1OO TIMES BETTER THAN THAT BORN MURDERER C/Y..... C/Y GIVES THE WORD "EVIL" A WHOLE NEW MEANING.. :mad:

A POLITICIAN IS A POLITICIAN.....THEY ALL THE SAME.