Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

The evolution of anti-government groups

Castro   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

I though I replied to this thread. Where's my reply?

Socod_badne, ka soco. :D

Do you have a picture of your favorite Somali warlord? Post it here. Randomly. Whenever you have nothing to say on the topic, post the picture. It seems to work for others. There's no reason why it shouldn't work for you.

Here's my favorite:

Sharifah.jpg

Here's my favourite Anarchist/USC dawlad-diid

_42830077_wound.jpg

Scores killed in Somalia clashes

More than 60 people have been killed in a fourth day of heavy fighting between Ethiopian troops and Islamist militia in Somalia's capital of Mogadishu.

Doctors said they had been overrun with casualties and there were reports of bodies strewn across streets.

More than 130 people were killed and 200 injured in the first three days of fighting, a local rights group said.

Ethiopian forces have been in Mogadishu since December after helping Somalia's transitional government oust Islamists.

The UN says more than 320,000 people have fled fighting in the capital since February.

'Humanitarian disaster'

One confirmed attack on Saturday was on the al-Barakah market.

A number of people were killed when mortar rounds landed. Local reports spoke of bodies mutilated beyond recognition.

Ethiopians are trying to kill me because I am Somali, and insurgents are not happy because I am not picking up a gun

Ali Haji

Mogadishu resident :(

AFP news agency reported a mortar round also struck a bus in the southern Hodan district, killing four people.

The BBC's Mohammed Moalimu in Mogadishu says some of the injured have been placed under trees in front of medical facilities.

Somalia's Elman Human Rights Organisation described the violence as the worst in recent years.

"I call on the both sides to stop the fighting and shelling without any condition," chairman Sudan Ali Ahmed said to Associated Press news agency.

One resident, Ali Haji, said: "Ethiopians are trying to kill me because I am Somali, and insurgents are not happy because I am not picking up a gun and fighting with them. I have lost all hope."

The UN is warning of a humanitarian disaster. Most of those who have fled lack food and water and hundreds have already died from cholera and diarrhoea, UN humanitarian co-ordinator Eric Laroche said.

Somalia has not had a functional government since 1991. A transitional government was formed in 2004, but has so far failed to take full control of the country.

'Opportunistic violence'

Ethiopian forces backing the transitional government swept into Mogadishu in December displacing the Islamic Courts Union (UIC).

Violence has intensified since then, after the relative calm when the UIC ran the city.

The insurgents are believed to be a mixture of Islamist fighters and militiamen from the ****** clan - the largest in Mogadishu.

US Ambassador to Kenya and Somalia Michael Ranneberger said the ongoing violence was part of an attempt by these groups to create an insurgency, but that it was not yet a structured movement.

"At this point it's opportunistic violence," Mr Ranneberger told AP news agency. "They're not organised like an insurgency."

Ethiopian troops have started to withdraw, to be replaced by an African Union peacekeeping force, but only 1,200 of the 8,000 troops the AU says it needs have been deployed.

BBC

Juje   

Originally posted by TheSomaliEconomist:

. A new dawn is certainly coming to Somalia. It's been over 16 years and cost alot of lives but it's been worth it.

Indeed sxb, and the new dawn is this ;

apr_20_2007.jpg

Xudeedi   

^^Although the phenemona is true it partially reflects the true aspect of the conflict. Regional experts call them greedy spoilers of state building in Somalia. Spoilers are situational clans, factions, and business leaders.

Juje   

Originally posted by Maakhir:

^^Although the phenemona is true it partially reflects the true aspect of the conflict. Regional experts call them greedy spoilers of state building in Somalia. Spoilers are situational clans, factions, and business leaders.

How this would have been an accepted theory only if those claiming to be liberating state builiding and eliminating spoilers were actually not doing worst than the alleged conspirators. It is a wonder shelling the city for weeks and levelling the building to the grounds not mentioning killing civilians can be clasiffied as a liberation of a state.

Xudeedi   

I concur with you but they are part of the polynomial. Out of several theories he identifies , he dissects this particular topic from his empirical enquiry and findings to corroborate and validate his premise as to why is it difficult to build a state in Somalia. Here in Mr. Ken Menkhaus' point

----

Spoilers of State Building in Somalia

Ken Menkhaus

Spoilers and “veto coalitions” are a third challenge to state-building efforts in Somalia. As noted earlier, a number of important Somali actors promote peace and local rule of law but view a revived central state as a threat. State building repeatedly encounters resistance from groups and individuals who perceive that their economic and political interests are threatened by revival of a functional state. Some of these spoilers are situational—clans, factions, or

leaders who feel they have not been adequately represented or rewarded in the government and who withdraw from the TFG in anger or disappointment

at not getting their fair share. This category of spoilers—what Stedman terms the “greedy spoiler”—is potentially manageable with astute diplomacy, political bargaining, and external pressure.26

More problematic is a second category of spoilers who reject the state-building project because they believe it poses a fundamental threat to their political or economic interests. This can include so-called warlords for whom the return

of rule of law could result in their marginalization or even arrest for war

crimes, businesspeople whose activities are illicit, and whole clans that have benefited from armed occupation of valuable real estate during the war. This category of spoilers also includes many local actors who do not engage in illegal

activities but who oppose state revival out of well-founded fear, especially fear that a revived central government will become a predatory, repressive force as was the case under Barre’s regime in the 1970s and 1980s. For businesspeople

who have beneªted from state collapse, the return of a central government may carry too many risks—of high taxes, corruption, expropriation,

and nationalization. Among clans and other social groups is the fear that the central government will again come under the control of a narrow coalition of clans that will use the state as an instrument of domination at their expense.

Some civic groups and the media fear unwarranted restrictions on their activities by a revived state. Although the potential rewards of state revival are high, so too are the risks.

Evidence from the failed TNG experiment in state building in 2000–03 suggests that many political and business leaders supported the declaration of a transitional government, but not the actual establishment of a functional state.27 Instead, they approached the TNG as an opportunity to create a “paper state”—one that would attract foreign aid, which they could then divert, but

not one that could become powerful enough to enforce laws and regulations that might threaten their economic and political interests. State collapse may be unpalatable, inconvenient, and undesirable on any number of counts, but

for some political and economic actors who have survived and thrived in a stateless setting, embracing a state-building agenda appears to constitute a leap of faith they were unwilling to take with the TNG in 2000 and the TFG in

2005. In the event that the Islamists assume control over the central government

in Somalia, they are likely to face the same resistance to revived central government by some civic, political, and economic actors.

Ken Menkhaus

me   

Eriteriya, ma lug goynaysaa jabhada Xoraynta Soomaaliya? I have this feeling in soomaalida l;a lug goynayo, maxaan u sameesanweynay mid aan ku dhanahay, inta ICU wixii ka haray iyo xussein caydiid ee meel kaliya isugu tagayaan.

Maxaan anagu wax u samaysan weynay, inta Asmara na laga soo dirayo?

Lug gooyo ayaa meeshan ku jirta ayaan is leeyahay, Afweki iyo Zenawi yagaa isla jira ayaan u malaynayaa, kolay yagaa naska keen xiga. Nimankan waa in aan ka tashano.