Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Where clan is all that counts in getting elected to Parliament

Haatu   

dnwajir1110h.jpg

CASPER WAITHAKA | NATION A woman and her child walk past a borehole that was dug but never produced water in Madah Libah, Wajir, on Monday. Failed and incomplete projects are a common in the constituency.

Ms Dabey Maow, 36, returned home on Sunday after 18 hours. The mother of six left home on Saturday at noon to search for water, 20 kilometres away.

Ms Maow, a resident of Malah Libah, 50 kilometres from Habaswein, the biggest trading centre in Wajir South constituency, said she spent much of the time digging the river bed with her bare hand as she struggled to fill her jerricans.

“I have to be careful not to be bitten by snakes as I trek for water, especially at night.”

The water can only last her a day and a half before another 20-kilometre trek in search of water.

Her story is replicated in many households across the expansive constituency, one of the largest in the country.

Access to water is a major headache for residents of the constituency, yet the issue will not be a factor in tomorrow’s by-elections.

Here, residents elect leaders largely on the basis of a candidate’s clan. Burning issues such as poverty, water, security, roads, political parties and food are pushed to the periphery.

The constituency does not have even a kilometre of tarmacked road. Poverty and illiteracy levels are considerably high and only Habaswein town has electricity.

South Wajir constituents are members of the ****** clan with four sub-clans — ****, ****, **** and ****.

Though none of the two main candidates comes from Makabul sub-clan which traditionally provides the swing vote, Mr Mahamud Muhumud Sirat of Bageri sub-clan seems to be the favoured candidate due to the support of nominated MP Mohamed Affey, who hails from the clan and is an ODM-K official.

The other is Mr Abdirahman Hassan, a Kanu candidate and former MP who lost in a petition filed by Mr Sirat.

Being in Form Three here, Hassan Ibrahim has an edge over his peers because he is quite enlightened by local standards. But despite his education, Ibrahim will vote purely on the basis of clan.

“The elders have already declared that our clan will be voting for Mr Sirat.” But Ms Fardusa Abdilahhi, 28, a mother of four, will support Mr Hassan — again because of clan.

Mr Sirat of ODM-K said he was confident of clinching the seat and did not need to “trouble” his party leader, Vice-President Kalonzo Musyoka. “I do not need to bring him all the way to get scorched in this sun,” he said.

“Politics based on clans has dragged us behind,” Mr Hassan said at a campaign rally. And unlike many elections, here one can hardly see campaign posters or convoys of cars with noisy campaigners.

On Monday, Mr Sirat campaigned in Habaswein town while Mr Hassan was in Hodhan near Wajir town.

Due to the entrenched clannism, the Interim Independent Electoral Commission had to deploy non-residents as presiding officers.

Mr Abdi Mohamed, the returning officer, said the level of mistrust between the clans was too high. “If a local presiding officer was to be deployed at a station there would be doubts especially where there is a clash of sub-clans.”

The seat was declared vacant after Mr Sirat successfully petitioned the court to nullify the election of Mr Hassan.

Others in the race are Mr Abdullahi Bulale (Narc), Mr Ahmed Ali Mukhtar (National Agenda Party of Kenya) and Mr Abdirizak Mohammed Ibrahim (Liberal Party of Kenya).

Notably, leaders from the key political parties have kept off the campaign, rendering it a contest between members of the Party of National Unity coalition.

The Orange Democratic Movement has not demonstrated any enthusiasm for the seat, only choosing to back the Narc candidate. And even then, the campaigns have been low keyed.

“As members of the same family, we decided that we are not going to wage aggressive campaigns against each other,” says Mr Affey.

There has been a particular keenness by the PNU parties to ensure unity even as members wrestle for the seat. Kanu and ODM Kenya are members of the PNU coalition.

“We made a decision that those in Kanu and ODM-Kenya should not be seen to be campaigning at cross purpose,” says the nominated MP.

Mr Affey, a former Wajir South MP, has been instrumental in rallying support for Mr Sirat. The two have a shared opponent in Mr Hassan.

But ODM-K leaders have not hidden the fact that they want to seize the seat from Kanu.

No doubt, a victory for ODM-K will be boost the party which feels that it has been playing second fiddle in the coalition. A loss for Kanu will add to its misfortunes after failing to recapture the Juja parliamentary seat in a by-election last month.

The electoral commission says it is ready for the polls. The constituency has 21,703 registered voters in 73 polling stations.

[ October 18, 2010, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Haatu   

ODM K's Sirat leads in Wajir South poll

by-elec.jpg

Former Wajir South MP Abdirahman Hassan faces a battle to recapture his seat after he fell behind his closest challenger ODM-Kenya's Mahamud Sirat in early by election results Wednesday evening.

With 50 per cent of the polling stations reporting, Mr Sirat had polled 5,003 votes against 3,426 for Kanu's Hassan.

There are a total of 68 centres in the vast constituency.

Earlier, vote counting had started after polls closed at 5 p.m in Wajir South constituency in a mini poll to elect a new MP.

The by-election was marked by high voter turn-out but it brought to fore the high illiteracy levels in the constituency.

According to the Interim Independent Electoral Commission officials, more than 80 percent of the voters had to be assisted to vote.

In one particular polling station, said Ms Immaculate Kissait the Director of Voter Registration and Electoral Operations, only four voters managed to vote on their own.

“Most of the voters turning up for the polling exercise requested to be assisted to vote. We attribute this to high illiteracy levels,” she told the Nation in Habaswein town.

“We are however happy that the process started in time with a high voter turn-out…by 11am for instance, 27 centres had registered with a 57 voter turn-out. We are sure that this will improve as the day goes by.”

The official said despite the voting process going on smoothly in the vast constituency for the better part of the day, there were allegations of impropriety.

There were reports of voter bribery, with one of the candidates being accused of dishing out cash to influence voters to elect him.

However, Ms Kissait, in response, said those were just rumours but added that they had launched investigations over the matter.

“We have sent our officials to those areas to ascertain whether this information is true. Action will be taken against these people should they be found guilty,” she said.

The constituency has 22,100 registered voters and 73 polling stations.

The seat fell vacant after former MP Hassan’s election was nullified by a petition filed by ODM-K’s Sirat.

Mr Hassan had won the seat on a Kanu ticket, an affiliate party of the PNU coalition.

nuune   

^^ HAATUU, Which sub-clan are you voting for, the ***** one, or the **** one :D

PS: I know recently you have being upset about that clashes in Garissa, reeraha waa la kala celiyaa ee dab lama sii shido waryaa, qalbi jileeca iska dhaaf, hadaad war buuxa u baahantahay waxaan joogaa gaarissa, Buulo Iftin waliba.

Inaad reer Ijaara tahay waan ogaa, laakinse inaad wajeer wax kuu galaan maan ogeyn :D , carra-gaduudii Wajeer waan u xiisey wallee, 13 sano ka hor ayaan campaign manager u ahaa ina Afey in Wajeer, soo ta wax u soo dhawaada la waayey.

[ October 18, 2010, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Haatu   

Zack, dee **** ahaan. Who votes according to location? :D

Nuune, the **** elders are backing the bahgeri one. My vote was to another **** guy but his tribe refused to back him up instead. How sad to be refused by your own fam. :D

War naga xishoo oo magaaladda ii daa ma joogtidee. Reer Suuqa Xoolaha ayaan ahay man, Buulo Iftin magaceeda un baan ka heley.

About the recent clashes, Maaddeey iyo Bob reerkooda baa la kari waayey. Reer waamahan yaa dadka ka qabtaa. :D

Ina Afey waa tuug. Asagaa ka dambeeye the reason why my candidate didn't get the support. Wuxuu is leeyahay nin kaloo **** ah oo hadhow kula tartamo yuunasan soo bixin. Tuug iga dheh.

[ October 18, 2010, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

The Zack   

Haatu,

****kii maxaa ku dhacay ayaga? Ooglayaashii ma daaqaddaa laga saaray.

P.s. I didn't know Maadeey and BOB were **** LOL.

[ October 18, 2010, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Haatu   

I don't know about that, but I definately know Bob is **** and Maaddeey maybe. I blame them for the skirmishes. :D

I have no idea what happened to them really.

[ October 18, 2010, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

STOIC   

Haatu lol@ alot of people have left Garissa...I remember Olow being a Headmaster @ Wajir primary school..When did he become an MP? I guess its been the last decade or so I've been gone...I remember when I was a baby my parents and relatives from Isiolo,Garissa and Wajir busing people to vote for Abdi Ali Hiirsi (who was my father's uncle).Even though my folks were registered in the East constituency they still bused people to the South.I bet you were young then this was in the early 80's...Nur Ali came along and we still supported him (I think because his mom was from I-clan)...Clan is everything in NEP...though I have a long history in that province I'll never be elected in East, North, West or South.. :D

Haatu   

^ I don't know much from 80s mate. I'm not that old :D Yep, all the Makabul folks have left Garissa. Yeah you're right, clan is everything in NEP.

Do you remember Nur Ali's catchphrase? "Ninkii nool baa ku nooleeyee, naftiina u doorta, Nur Ali!". My mum tells me how everyone voted for him because of that. :D

And why won't you get elected? Are you a walendo in disguise? :D

STOIC   

^Nur Ali was a a great politician whose words were marked by clever discerning awareness of his constituencies..I remember him with his cool shades rallying people to vote for him.I remmeber his sign was Taa (kerosene lamp :D ) .He was also from a family with a long political history! The province had few great politicians/leaders back then likes the late Ahmed Khalif.

As for me NOT having a chance to be elected there is because of my minority status..I was an outsider clan.I'd have been eyed with suspicion had I dreamed of running for an office...

PS Warya I'm related to ***** (****)..Since my dad's mom was from that clan...I have a blood relation of 20% with them :D ..I wonder why they never let anyone run from their sub-clan instead of MZ's..Abdi Ali Hiirsi was **** :D

[ October 18, 2010, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]