baala xoofto

Somali State MP shot dead in Jigjiga

Since Abiy Ahmed took power, there is an increasing visible presence of Amhara & Oromo in Jigjiga. The Amhara are specially very violent towards Somali citizens in and around Jigjiga. 

It is very common to see Somali men/women getting abused by Xabashi men in middle of Jigjiga market, sometimes with no reasons at all. 

All the fertile farming lands around Jigjiga are owned by Amhara farmers. 

1 hour ago, maakhiri1 said:

Minor and isolated incident 

Not really. And it is about the sense of entitlement. These Amharas wouldn't dare do that in Oromia, Afar or anywhere else. They only respect violence.

Illyria   

Gents,
This is hardly surprising, if one has visited these parts in recent years. This is truly tragic. I did observe rather odd dealings at Jigjiga (Ethiopian federalis), Wajeer (Kenyan police), and even in Xamar (heavily armed African soldiers), and almost got into a war of words with those at Wajeer, and Xamar.

a) On my first trip to Xamar for 40 years, at the airport, an African soldier slightly pushed a Somali elderly lady, speaking to her in English, mouthing off orders to move away; as I was standing in a queue, in disbelieve, seeing what was unfolding in front of my eyes, and with many Somalis around, I was hoping one of the many people in front of me, incl. airport staff, would say something, but no one batted an eye, or even thought of it as an issue.

When I spoke with the soldier in the most stern, possibly way one could muster in that situation, with a 300lb inflated African soldier in combat gear with a riffle in half mast, other Somalis were literally telling me to stay out of it, and leave him alone.

As one of us here said, the general attitude there too was: it is a "minor and isolated incident".

I hate what has become of Xamar, as that once beautiful city is no longer a Somali city.

b) At Wajeer, Africans are policing, and inspecting Somalis; when I enquired where the Somali were, they laughed, in that annoyingly naive African laugh, saying "it is OK sir. welcome to Kenya". To cut a long story short, I asked one of them to bring his superior, who invited me to a tea, where I told him, he had no business in searching me on Somali soil; in the end, and I will not recount our conversation, the situation was sorted with his letting people through, and one of the officers serving us all tea. Again, other Somali were telling me to mind my own business.

Still enraged, from afar, I spotted a Somali lady cleaning, I called her, fuming at the sight, in my most angry Somali shout "Naa yaa hee kaalay, duf ku baxe" asking her why are they not manning the airport; she said for fear of Al Shabaab, Somali staff are no longer stationed at the airport with Kenyans policing instead. The humility and subservience is beyond belief.

c) In Jigjiga, according to some sources, there is a two-tier system where Ethiopians civilians can come in, and go as they please into the airport whereas Somalis are not permitted. This was compounded by a breakdown of communication where the average Somali speaks Somali, and Ethiopia federalis speak Amhari. I will not bore you with details of what I have observed at Jigjiga university, which is wholly taken over by Amharas.

Our people are under occupation, and are being treated as second class citizens on their own soil. This can not go on. This must not be seen as a minor incident.

One is not free, if one is not in control of his affairs.

• Thanks 1

Shurwac   

I do admire your empathy in using such words as tragic, occupation & subservience in describing the status of every Somali region in horn. Unfortunately, its lost cause - at its root waa a rotten society that worships Qabiil & kinship and detests any form of justice - nothing to do with bad leadership, or foreign meddling etc

Before that Amhar soldier shot and killed MP Juweriya,  I knew nothing about Jigjiga or Somali region's control over their own land - did little research on the place - surprisingly, its no different than Gaza Strip. Banks/Airports/ key private and govrn institutions are all manned and controlled by Amhara's, with little or no Somalis - even farmlands that surround Jigjiga are almost all under Amhara's control - even Somalis movements are observed there. Yet, there're endless Dhaanto / Dirgax o hadana Dirgax songs coming out of the place every few weeks, as if Somalis own/run a kingdom there.

Illyria   

As a student of history, I must remind you, whilst conditions on the ground are truly bad in occupied Somali territories, things are better than they were 20 or even 10 years, and the weaker the Somali nation state, the worse their condition.

galbeedi   
7 hours ago, Illyria said:

Our people are under occupation, and are being treated as second class citizens on their own soil. This can not go on. This must not be seen as a minor incident.

I totally agree with your observations.

We never heard about the Wajeer security check of Somalis entering Kenya before landing Nairobi, until few people mentioned. It was Proff. Ahmed I. Samatar who openly raised these demeaning and abusive double security screening of Somalia in 2012. Just like you,  he was shocked and questions why the leadership is accepting this while the prime minister of Somalia was detained at the airport for hours after he skipped the WAjeer security check. 

While The Wajeer issue is bad, I see a lot of improvement on the situation of the Somalis within the Kenyan state. They are very visible in almost every aspect of the Kenyan society whether it is business, politics and even security. The Kenyan police commisioner is Somali so does the director of the CID. Somali officers could be found in the top levels of the Kenyan intelligene and the military. Both the lawyer that was arguing on the election case and the officer who guaranteed security in the election poll gathering were Somalis. Since Kenyan democracy is growing in stature I believe Somalis would be the winners. Even the Somali leaders are elequent and forceful in their pride and pronoucements, just observe Farah Macalin and Barre A. Ducaale.

In Somali DDS it is the opposit. When it comes to Jigjiga, I concur your observations. Every federal department is manned by Amhara. Almost all labour, technincal oe skil jobs are filled by Amhara, Oromo or others from southern Ethiopia. If they strike the city will shut down.

In terms of Somalihood, Jigjiga is much better compared to Cabdi Iley,  who could have arrested you in the middle of town with little suspicion and throw you in jail,  although the Amharas were invisible during his rule.

The ruling guy is appointed by Addis and he is nothing but a supervisor for the occupation forces. Of course it is peaceful because of the harmony among the occupied Somali population and the cruel enforcement of the clan soldiers who would shoot anyone that opposes them. The small infrastructure that exists comes from the federal budget, but most of the money is looted by the clan. 

Some people wouls even tell you that without the Amhara and the federal presence the clan infested system would collapse within months. There are no courts, functioning police or institutions that serve the public. JUst like Mogadishu of warlord era, there are check points between towns where soldiers take bribes from buses and trucks. .

Yet, like some dimentia patients they talk about fake Somalinimo, there is no hope in the Somali zone with or without Amhara until those clan supervisors for the occuaprion are replaced.

Illyria   
9 hours ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

supervisers of the occupation replaced by who by new supervisers marka maaxaas so kordhisay

I do not understand the question "maxaad soo kordhisay"; could you elaborate?

Illyria   
On 10/29/2022 at 10:24 PM, galbeedi said:

Some people wouls even tell you that without the Amhara and the federal presence the clan infested system would collapse within months.

I am assuming there are the same people who have been arguing "If the Afrikans are removed from power in S. Africa, and ANC takes over the leadership, the county shall cease to exist". In other words, apartheid had to be maintained for the sake of S. Africa, as British politician and business leaders used to proclaim, and defend the apartheid government. Worse though Afrikans (indha adayg), Indians (subaacnimo koronkoro kor u dhaaftay), and even educated Africans (baffoonery) making those arguments in the late 90s at the African Centre at Covent Gardens, London. Surely, we know better than that.