Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

A Secular Somali State?

What ever he built as meager as it was,he left

in shambles(Mog,Harg & Burao.)The 3 largest

cities in ruin.Yes the war lords & the religious

fanatics finished the job.Mengistu & Stalin rebuilt & left it intact.

^ your lack of knowledge is painfully obvious in what you just wrote. MAG, HARG and Burco, the three largest cities. Let me introduce you to some other large cities: Baydhaba, Kismaayo, Merca, Barawe, Bosaso, Galkacyo, Beledwein, Jowhar... And the fact that they are ruined is blame all Somalis share, he biult, you destroyed.

Naden, try to look at this from an objective perspective, and I am not as you as you think I am not that that I should be excusing your agism here.

I'm not saying there is no other cities.These

were & are the largest ones,even today.And I

was talking about the ones Siyad destroyed.Cool down.

You don't have to defend what is obvious.

I noted the ones behind him destroyed a lot.

Bosaso,Galkacayo,get ruined?.Come on man!

I see it's becoming like some other Somali

sites I put the lid on.

Waajid is as big as Mogadishu,too.

Let me go back to my winter olympics.

No hard feeling.

SeefTa   

just reading this, is frustrating!

you all are arguing about a man who

is in his grave facing his maker. ALLAH

IS THE BEST JUDGE, AND REST ASSURED HE WILL

BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS ACTIONS.

To the others who, due to somalia's current

dillemma, sheepishly call this man "aabo",

get a reality check!

Secondly, sorry to disaapoint anyone but,

things written in SOL will not be written into

somalia's history, try writing a book maybe.

BUKURR   

Naden, it's kind of a no brainer that Mr. Barre was a harsh dictator, but to disguise him as a thug and whatever else you added is just plain fault. The guy had merits..

.. Oh, by the way, direct family member was prisoned for three years just because he was frequenting the mosque, so we all have our grievances, but let's give everyone their dues.

Voltaire   

Originally posted by ElPunto:

There is a simple answer here. As a Muslim one believes that Allah's method for governance, if properly applied, will be superior to whatever man-made systems there exists including the secular ideal you espouse here. That there haven't been any present day examples doesn't mean that this quest should be abandoned or that it is hopeless.

Christians used to believe just that. Time has proven them wrong.

Hales   

I dont think Secularism will work anymore saxiib, we need to try something that will replace qabilinism and unite the people and i believe Islam can do that.

Originally posted by Hales:

I dont think Secularism will work anymore saxiib, we need to try something that will replace qabilinism and unite the people and i believe Islam can do that.

Another recipe for disaster.It's already happening--Why look far.Much better to follow the"LANDS".

Originally posted by Voltaire:

quote:Originally posted by ElPunto:

There is a simple answer here. As a Muslim one believes that Allah's method for governance, if properly applied, will be superior to whatever man-made systems there exists including the secular ideal you espouse here. That there haven't been any present day examples doesn't mean that this quest should be abandoned or that it is hopeless.

It's hopeless.Give me an example,unless we wanna argue

the customery way of "I'm muslim u r kaffir".

BUKURR   

Originally posted by Voltaire:

I used to believe that Islam was the answer. I was.

Those who support Secular system -- before you advocate secularism you need to think hard about the concept you are advocating. Secularism means the total eradication of God's divine law from our way of life. Before you start preaching about secularism tell us what secularism has done for humanity other than the trail of destruction it has left almost every corner of the globe. The world is in diabolical state of affair because of secularism.

Tanada   

Hi, I'm very glad that I found this forum with such bright intelligent Fellow country men debating! (without name calling each other when someone hit a nerve :P)

Now I haven't really read the whole discussion since it very long so I'm just going to state my opinion :)

I believe in a secular state. Where religion should be ones private matter and not interfere with states affairs. Religion is totalitarianism. No matter which kind of religion were are talking about its always one certain group or person that rules for a very long time! I don't see it be any different from a dictatorship. When religion rules the people. We can not have several foundations. That is constitution. Laws that cannot be changed. they are very important to a secular state. Like Freedom of speech, Freedom of information legislation.

We need that because of simple reasons like, One should have the right to criticize, unfold corruption or simply try to elevate some group, person or what ever the case may be.

Religion doesn't protect the rights of minority. New cases come forth every day with different problems. Religion doesn't have the answer for everything. Laws need to changed and improved.

Religion is a source of power that suppressors people, and since religion is Totalitarianism one can not go against it. That causes that one might get executed or put in prison for a very long time if not for life.

Religion doesn't encourage science. That is a bit of a problem, since we human beings need to evolve and develop, (It kind of held us back in the dark and middle ages) And thanks to the age of enlightenment we have come very far within a very small amount time! And we somali are having our age of enlightenment at the moment were we are getting rid of tradition such as Female genital mutilation! Reflecting, criticality viewing our state for the past hundred year and trying to improve by understanding and changing! (Y)

People do have a tendency to become very fundamental and fanatic, so that is a minus too.

Secularism works if united by nationalism! Every secular country is a nationalistic country! With foremost interest its own people!

Its a great opportunity if Somalia ever became a secular state! And as a country that has one main language spoken by majority of the people, One main religion Its a very helpful aspect!

The list goes on and on! but that's is my basic opinion :) I hope that I didn't offend anyone :)

Only a secular society can be prosperous and enlightened, devoloped, just look around in the world and compare secular countries with countries ruled by religion, any rational person will understand which system is best. Religion should have no role in the public. Somalia needs a Kemal Ataturk.