Sign in to follow this  
Positive

Social debate:The real roots of the Somali conflict

Positive   

The solution to the conflict in Somalia has baffled intellectuals, intelligentsia and others alike. It eludes especially Somali intellectuals because they do not comprehend and see the causative factors of the conflict in its entirety. An insight to the cultural dimension which is the core driving force escapes their attention. Consequently, even when they are called for consultation, they formulate half baked solutions which could never bring enduring peace.

The foreign intellectuals and other actors, who try to find a solution to the Somali statelessness, even when they are sincere, come up with even poorer solutions. They also in their part do not understand the root causes of the conflict. While it cannot escape from our attention that Somalia have been neglected first and foremost by the Somalis themselves and also by the Arab brother, Africans and international community still the ignorance and disregard of the Somali ways of life has been another factor which further makes it difficult to recognize the solution. That is why the conflict is still raging with unimaginable human and material coast and also with emotional and mental suffering for the people.

In a nutshell Somalis are in the middle of cultural crisis. The foreign intervention has compounded the Somali conflict not the other way as some may claim. If Somalis were not as fractured as they are now foreign interests could never have taken advantage of them. This is a standpoint which Somalis need to come in terms with. The Somali confrontation has cultural roots. What we need to recognize is that the traditional Somali way of life has been waning for many generations but has been resisting fading away. Other Somali sub-cultures are fighting openly now to fill any vacuum it makes. The conflict then is between three sub-cultures in Somalia namely the traditionalists, the Islamic oriented and Western oriented Somalis. There is another group which I call the Criminals but I will not discuss them in here except to say that they do not have permanent social base which they can draw from. Warlords are example of last group. Hence the fighting we are seeing is just different aspect of bigger but unmentioned struggle between these groups. You may not believe it but let me explain this to you.

It is the aim of this paper to re-introduce to the reader in an intellectual level to these groups and their roles in the conflict, and in that way, I hope, the reader would see the big picture.

Little historical update

Before the colonial powers came to Somalia there were social interactions between the Somalis and their neighbors notably the Arabs. The Arabs among other things brought the Islamic faith to the Horn of Africa. The interaction between these two peoples, the Somalis and Arabs, through time brought a change to the Somali culture. The main change was that the Somalis left their traditional faiths which were mostly animistic and the worship of the sun and instead embraced Islam. Still the traditional way of the Somali people resisted to be replaced completely by Islamic way of life. The traditional way of life has been trying instead to selectively incorporate the Islamic way into itself but without success. They did not realize that the two are not compatible. Even today, one thousand years after the dwellers of the coastal areas of what is known now Somalia fully embraced Islam, the traditional Somali way of life is still strong and adhered to in all parts of Somalia. The Islamic way of life has co-existed with the traditional one and although it has been striving all along to replace it it has not yet succeeded to do that.

When the colonial powers came to the Horn they introduced into it the Western way of life. Like all other colonized peoples the Somalis have been adopting the western way and in effect the traditional way which has been already eroded by the coming of Islam became further eroded by the introduction of this new culture.

The undeclared competition of the cultural elites

In our time the conflict in Somalia is fought and perpetuated by elites and their supporters from the said three sub- cultural groups. The three groups if I may repeat my self are: the traditional minded Somalis, the Islamic minded and Western minded. The elites are not visible in real sense; they mostly do not have commits nor do they have written agenda or plans about the objectives they pursue in conscious level. Still they are there and causing all the mayhem that we witness. An elite member and many who follow him may not be aware to the real end they are fighting for because they simply do not see the big picture. Neither can we know them precisely. Still an observer can identify an elite member for example by examining who his supporters are. There are others ways we can use to identify them but I do not want to dwell that in here. Every Somali person is aligned with one of these groups or more then one even though he or she may not be aware of that. That is why the information I’m giving you now is subtle.

The Western minded

The western powers when they came to colonize Somalia created, nurtured and supported the western minded elite. Those in the elite had to accept and uphold the western way of life. They were given education, status and preference etc. over the others. The people have to become ‘civilized’ has become the new motto. In that way lavish life styles: cars, houses, beautiful wife/husband etc. has become the reward for those who accepted the western way. With its supposedly material reward it has become the right way of life for an ever increasing social group. This group has gained both in social status and relatively material well-being. In consequence the other two groups in time have become more dependent on this group both for material and political influence. From the perspective of the Islamic minded elite, by advocating secularism, the western minded elite disregarded the correct Islamic way of life. The traditionalists also lost power and prestige to both groups. They, the traditionalists, have remained envious but quiet.

The shortcomings with upholders of the western way of life have been that they have shown poor leadership qualities simple because they were new comers to the scene. They have also shown lust for material things especially money.. money.. money. But who cares! Although a huge number of this group has immigrated to the west still they have had the unwavering support of the West, the Russians and Chinese; and lately the Ethiopians and Kenyans. They never wanted to loosen their gripe on power. Their shortcoming though gave edge to the other competing groups.

The Islamic minded

When it comes to the Islamic minded elite they lived in harmony and in peace with the traditionalist in the beginning and for generations after that. They did the same with the colonial powers and later with the western minded. The Muslim clerics who were mostly Sufis did seek neither social positions nor other social rewards but willingly accepted to become vanguards for the Islamic faith and bring the word of God to the masses on any capacity they were capable to receive it. In time they succeeded to befriend everyone and by finding their own niche in the social structure they gained the respect of the elders and later the western minded generation.

It was in 1970ths. that a significant change took place. After a devastating drought in Somalia the government supplied passports to those who applied for it and huge number of Somalis had migrated to the oil rich Gulf States. Some also went to Egypt, Sudan and Syria where they attended Islamic universities in those countries. Already in beginning of eighties a new generation with a higher Islamic education but many times from different Schools of Islamic thought came back to Somalia. Instantly the new comers denounced the Sufis and their ways. Although there were some disagreements among different Islamic groups still a new revival of Islamic teaching had taken roots in the country. For the first time people received available Islamic education and many times free Islamic lessons. Especially after the collapse of the central government Islamic schools and education swelled to such proportion that it became the primary education in all over Somalia. The elite in this group who were mostly of younger generation who received their religious education from gulf state specially Saudi Arabia was born. Through their unique entrepreneurship and many times through charities both inside and outside the country they amassed a huge wealth and also developed organizational skills. Determined to rule the land they demand now that Islam has to become the only way of life in the country.

The Traditional minded

The traditionalists in their part are a group to reckon with now. After the central government had collapsed, and western minded and the Muslim minded groups became on loggerheads the traditionalists found the opportunity to fill the power vacuum, behind the scenes mostly. They are glad that they regained the power and prestige they lost to the Western minded elites. Already in Somaliland they have established a function government and they have their legislative house, Guurti there. In Puntland the traditional elders are the shakers and movers of the administration and every other thing in that area. It is claimed that the reason the South has been in such a chaos so long is because the role of the traditional elders was the most corroded in all Somalia. At the time of the collapse of the central government the elders social roles were minimal in that part of the country. But now they have regrouped and their role is more pronounced than ever before. The gripe of power of the traditional minded elite has been strengthened by the conflict and they want now to stay as the hub which other groups have to revolve around.

Conclusion

It is unlucky that these groups have become, among other things, representative for foreign interests in the country. Especially the western minded and Islamic minded have in their struggle to gain power destroyed the very fabric of their society, caused mayhem and destruction. It is more so for the western minded but Islamic minded must proof their honest now when the foreign forces leave. These groups have to show remorse to the weak, the woman and elderly who become caught in between their “righteous” struggles. They have also to show compassion, tolerance and spirit of brotherliness to one another regardless of their cultural preferences.

Now that the some foreign forces are leaving you should gripe the opportunity, put aside the guns, come together in your old traditional way under the tree and find a durable solution which brings peace and stability.

The Awakener2

Paragon   

Interesting take. I shall, Insha-Allah, read it again and respond to it.

This section of the boards needs revival of a sort.

Positive   

Somali pride

I agree that many of us are loyal more to our clans. I also agree that for many of us the interests of our tribe supersedes our national interests. But the question is why is it so?

The answer to that question is that we (somalis), in our present social development, are more individual and group oriented than national minded; as we know in all societies the individual person has duties and rights. The person, for example has a right for security; that is why in our modern time one has to preferably live in a nation-state that has law enforcement institutions; one has a right for justice, hence a need for a judiciary and legislative national bodies; and one also needs security for his basic needs ( food, shelter, medical care etc) hence a need for social services and national welfare institutions.

In our country such institutions have never taken root; not even before when we had a functioning national government. For the most part it has been the function of the tribe to provide aforementioned services to its individual members. In a real sense the tribe has been the sole guarantor of the rights of its members. That is why many of us are more loyal to their clan.

What is the solution you may ask?

The solution theoritically would be a reversal of loyalty to take place. Such a reversal can come about when we create and nurture national institutions which, in mature age, would take responsibility for the person and his rights; our primary aim, now, should be to make favourable living conditions for the next generation; such a virtuous deed will not only bring peace to us in here and now but for the believer it might contribute to better condition in his after-life.

Now in order to establish a functioning and durable national government two primary conditions has to be met; we need an organized, sincere and united somalis who lead us; we need also a friendly outside government(s) who whole heartily help us until we stand on our own feet.

Since an organized, sincere and united somalis are pre-requisite to friendly help from the outside it is paramount that our fragmented elites namely the western oriented, the traditional oriented and Islamic oriented join forces now. Or they could give the leadership role to one of the elites and the two others could give their support without reservation. If we do not do that we may continue to suffer and the country may continue to be plundered and abused by foreigners.

In conclusion I think the traditionalists although fragmented, if the problem would have been conflict of clans, they would have solved it through their traditional xeers in a relatively shorter time. The problem being not exclusively conflict between clans they could not fix it. On the other side if the Islamists would have received mandate from the people to lead they would have introduced the Islamic way of governance to the country and our problem would have been solved long ago. Likewise the western oriented could run the country if there were no oppositions. The truth is there has been power struggle between these groups. This assertion with all its implications needs to be digested by the reader.

Although mistrust and foreign interventions are compounding the situation still only by collective and decisive action from our part, all somalis, and by the grace of God can we come out of this morass that we have put ourselves in.

The Awakener2

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Somali Pirate:

the only problem with somalia is selfishness and total devotion to clan rather than country.

tribes and qabeel thinking has destroyed the country

Mostly so although there are other things that contribute.

True that this is the maojr one.

I agree that the root source of the conflict seems to be cultural one rather than a political one. I think the solution is for Somalis to accept change. Somalia now is stagnated. To modernize Somali style, we don't need to throw our soul out the window.

Originally posted by Cirdey:

Interesting take. I shall, Insha-Allah, read it again and respond to it.

This section of the boards needs revival of a sort.

in three days I shall finish reading it and respond.

Muriidi   

maybe it's not my position to talk about this,but i'll do it anyway:

progress,development and evolution we had a lot of that.much of it was not explicitly mentioned in holy texts ,which is a confirmation that we can proceed unless experience shows otherwise.

weapons were mentioned.one can take the holy text literally or as an example,whatever confirms

the good

it is considered sixir and muslims are instructed to consider it's effect some sort of disease and not answer with some sort of counter magic.

if you remember the story of sayyid mohamed abdullah hassan; after the dervishes beat the colonists they took their stuff weapons included, thereby sinking to their level,same moral rules apply...

the dervishes although it was too late refused to join the arms race

ever since, starting with sinai 1973 the use of firearms has only weakened the muslims, especially when the ones who claimed or thought they were muslim beat their opponent.

it's not good to advertise weapons

tiger-wakizashi-paul-chen-samurai-sword.

i keep one anyway the metal sword is the ultimate weapon(butcher knife) ,carefull that i not be used as a "qori with baayoonad" by yehud and their mini ons.

what i'm saying is it's getting dangerous,their methods aren't working.it might go back to basics.

i ain't saying it's the big one but...shape up!

the root of somalia's problem? i don't try to understand it ...just survive it.what can i do with my average 60 years?but if you ask me it's because everybody speaks in riddles.Allaha na wada hanuuniyo...aamiin.

by the way free c.i.a. equipment...should we use it ? it's dressed "islamic"!

10% off if you support the use of firearms...

Meiji   

Very interesting read Positive.

Few remarks,

In your analyses of the three elites and the conflict between them you left out socio-economic aspect and its relationship to the three elites and how it influences the conflict.

For example, the Somali society is one that is pastoral. The Somali economy is one that is pastoral.

This pastoral socio-economic base has created the pastoral way of life complete with its social, political and cultural institutions. This socio-economic base thus supports the traditional elite, since they like all known institutions to Somalis are the result of that base.

The failure of the western-minded Somali elite goes farther then causes which primarily are of their own shortcomings. Their struggle to modernize Somalia was from the very beginning limited to the few urban centre's were the pastoral socio-economic base was weak. Even in these urban centre's (of which there were at best two,namely Mogadishu and Hargeisa) the socio-economic pastoral base and its influence on society was recognizably present as large number of the city dwellers came from the country-side in which the socio-economic pastoral base was uncontested.

So from the very beginning the western-minded elite had two choices:

- Either transform the socio-economic base from one that is pastoral to capitalist (modern industrialized economy) and thus supports the western-minded elite in their conflict with the other elites.

or

- Wait till the socio-economic pastoral base with its politico-cultural institutions swallows up the western-minded elite and its western institutions.

At the end, it became clear that the western-minded elite and the western institutions it created were infiltrated by clannism, the key aspect of the socio-economic pastoral base.

I will dwell on the Islamic-minded elite and their imminent failure.

Also, the traditionalist side will lose since the socio-economic pastoral base itself is breaking down under immense pressures perpetuated by environmental, capitalist, and social forces.

The last process (the break-down of the pastoral base) is the most important event in Somali history.

-------------------- --------

About the 2 primary conditions which should be met if we want to establish a functioning and durable national government I sharply disagree with condition 2.

First, condition 1 is logical and needs no further explanation.

What baffled me is condition 2. In no period of human history has there been a situation where a society changed for the good because of external benevolent actor.

Also, in no period of human history has there been any such benevolent external actor that has genuinely assisted a nation to stand on its own feet without ulterior motives.

Positive   

Meiji,

Thanks for your remarks.

The pastoral way of life has been declining more than at least two generations now. This became accelarated particularly after the Second World War when the demobilized Somali soldiers came back to their places of origin in the pastoral areas and told about the wonders of the civilized world and cities they saw. Also the few nomads who visited the nascent towns in Somalia saw better living standard in the towns and an "ease" of life one could enjoy there; a new hope for change was born in the nomadic consciousness then; a song composer at that era reflected the sentiments of the pastoralists when he said: qarqaray, cirka qow-qowlow qarqaray, qaawanaantayduu arkaa, ee qudhayda xaggaan dhigaa ( I’m shivering, shivering of the thundering rain in the sky. It sees my lack of shelter, how would I save myself); another composer praised the ideal house, daar-houses, by saying ”nin daar ku jiraa daruur ma arkee illayn xalay roobku waa da’ay ( a man living in a daar-house -in the town- can neither see the clouds nor can he know when it rains at night )".

In our time the younger xalimos and lads are no longer interested camel and goat herding; more than 70% of the population in the towns and cities in Somalia are from the rural areas.

The pastoral economic base is no longer viable and can not survive in its present form but the pastoralist mindset continues to persist,I may say, in a but weakened and impure form in our urban areas; the majority of those Somalis who are of age fifty or older, whether they are sheikhs, Sharifs or PHD. holders have the pastoralist way of life as dominant mindset; many if not the majority of them are causing havoc in our midest because they lack particular guiding values they observe. I mean it may take several more generations before people who cherish the values of a nation or earnestly observe Islamic values become majority in our country; pessimistic assessment but probable a true one.

For the time being we are predominantly nomads in all possible ways of Life. There may be among us a handful who have other dominant ways of Life but they also are in the limbo of “ fiqi tolkii kama janno tago”.

In conclusion the western minded elite can offset the nomadic mindset by offering a satisfactory living standard for everyone; can they do that or willing to work for that? The Ulema can offset it if they forget about acquiring political power but rather concentrate their efforts to educate the poeple. Are they willing to make such a sacrifice now? Although it is not ideal still the pure traditional way of Life was not all that bad. Are we willing to revert to it?

Change we must! But to where and who do we trust and should lead us?

The Awakener2

Certainly, they (Islamic minded elite)are the most-awful ones of the three elites, they neither have a leader nor an objectives/plan to lead us anywhere, in short they are malaa kuwii nalaku halaagilahaa (God forbid though).

Positive   

It is the first time if I'm right after the collapse of Adal sultanate little under 500 years ago that the Islamic elite has come to sniff the national power again. Unlike that previous historical time Which Iman Ahmed Guray entered the Province of Tigray and by reaching Axum destroyed the Church of Our Lady Mary Zion this time the boys from Ethiopian highlands have come down to the coastal line of Mogadishu leaving behind a city in ruins and traumatized people.

In light of what has happened now in this eventful but historically significant time one would expect that the Islamic elite would show ingenuity, resourcefulness and last but not the least leadership. Sitting at the sidelines of national power for approximately 500 years this could be their chance to show what they are worth.

What we are witnessing is filan waa. Kani waa murtid kaasi waa takfiir, dhiigoodu waa banaan yahay , gaalo ama alqaacida ayey wataan iwm. has become the daily fatwas of the elite leadership.

Iyagii baa kala dhammaan la'.

What I'm witnessing is not encouraging but may be I have high expectations.

The Awakener2

ilax   

Positive!

Bit interested the discussion you forwarded. But stil strugling to understand why this is taking too long? Where is the real problem now? Is it cos re-emergency of Islamist? Or is it prolonged social transformation as explained by some others?

In any case, I see we can enlist the problems but could not act on it for its solution! that might be the bigest problem.