Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Are the so called somali community centres - isbaaroyinka qurbaha?

Just as there were 'good isbaaros' in somalia. i know there are good community associations that are in the west. but by far the ones who are simple put up as begging bowl outnumber the good ones 10:1 (no statistics - just hypothesis ). My experiences of these so called communities association are; they are mostly family run and seem to serve one sub clan and mostly operate on the dungy black room on the back of internet cafe. To make the matter worse they don’t do more than the basic form filling for the **** and couple calls to the housing departments once in blue moon for one of their relatives.

Frankly I am appalled to say the least, to see people who are well capable and educated, reduced to such state. not by factors out of their control but by factors of their own making. How would you lot explain having 16 “Somali Community associations” in an area of 1 mile radius??

Do any of you nomads in here know what I am talking about?? Do you have any experience of going into these associations for help – how did you find them?? What is your take on why they are all seem to be limiting themselves to form fillings – where are there so many? Why aren’t they involved in the political and social spheres of the countries they reside in???

ilax   

Good questions. But, what is the problem of having many communities? I think to have many communities does not matter but what matter is do these communities operate at all or are they used merely fishing strategy for some indiviaduals? I asked this question one guy and said that Somalis need yet to learn how to use collective action and western world living system.

Ilax - the problem of having many communities is it obviously shows the disunity amongs our people - each community association is in competition with the other rather than working together for the same purpose. but what is even worse is they don't realise that they are countering one another - why all these?? in my opion it is all down to lack of trust which seems to be prevailent particularly in our community.

ilax   

Yes, Lack of trust and unity are the effect not the cause. The cause is Clan based socail structure. This problem is more structural and deep rooted in the social system. the worest, the young generation are taking bad lessons from the olds. Then, do we adress the symptoms such as mis-trust, lack of confidence or dis-unity or the root causes of these problems? In my view, let us re-engineer our social structure , then talk to fix community based organisations and other social issues.

winnie   

i respectfully disagree.

the clan structure is not the cause of our mistrust, but years of civil war and nonsensical violence is; you cant ask people to discard their clan.you can, however, ask them to form ties through the bonds that unite us already, such as somaalinimo, islanimo, and just general neighbourliness.

the leaders have to take the first step in that regard, though and than others will follow.

ilax   

This civil conflict is not yet a cause it self, but the consequence of a combination of factors. Then, what are the causes of this political tragedy and civil war in the country? I hope We can agree conflict does not take place in a vacuum.And also relate your argument to the question, why do we have fragmented Somali's diaspora communities ?, leadership is one factor but the root causes go beyond that.

Ilax - thank you for bring the thread back to its topic - i am of the opinion that these fragmentation is result of mistrust - these mistrust what ever its causes is even between brother from the same close lineage family - as in what they call 'reer hoose' - this mistrust is further excacipated by greed and money. it also helps that the people who set up this organisations have no vision whatsoever (it seems) consequently they are in vicious circle with no hope ever getting out of and becoming productive members of society in their adoptive countries nor will they ever benefit their home country as result of their failure in their adoptive countries.

i hope that makes sense - am typing this in hurry - as i get to back to class.

I think there's no problem with having several Somali groups BUT JUST AS LONG AS THEY EACH SERVE A DIFFERENT PURPOSE...for example one might specialize in teen affairs and the other women’s affairs and so on....

having said that and KNOWING my community it's not really practical to have a united front for Somalis……now matter how hard you try to remain inclusive someone will ALWAYS feel left out…

but I also don’t want an organization which caters only to one tribe and alienates the others so YES to more organizations so long as they concentrate on one area and NO to tribe focused groups…..

KNOWING my community it's not really practical to have a united front for Somalis……now matter how hard you try to remain inclusive someone will ALWAYS feel left out…

whilst i feel your sentiments - we have to keep trying to change the status quo and lead by example. e.g. let unity and purpose ouze out of your veins (methophorically ofcourse) :D

Muriidi   

what about the mutants?

do i really need to watch movies about zombies and play video games just to survive?

but as soon as you know you have to decide are you here with diplomatic immunity or political assylum? ....(yes also for native population)

did you know that filing for political assylum protects you also from the government of the country you fled to.by court order if you have political assylum no member of government/military has access to you.also no religious sects,weird science projects etc. you just have to express that wish somehow ...

if you ask for diplomatic immunity...well you know..you are out of police jurisdiction..need special medical care...etc.

Paragon   

^ :D Ninkaa muriidi baa la yiraahdaa. Raadiyaha mawjad culus ayuu ka soo galaa. :D

Sayidka, I totally agree with you, ee adiga maxaa tala ah aan kugu raacnee? There must be a way we can help remedy this maledy.

^^oo ma sidas i tiraahdid - show wuxuu waa nin waalan. :D

as for the topic - waa inaan mesha ku qarxinoh sii eey u dhacdoh "waxay ku nuugto iyo waxay ka nuugtaba ha weydo" ;) type of situation, until they learned to represent for real.

ileen mesha intaas ey u joogaane - more importantly si isbaaroyinkaan qurbaha loo ciribtiro ha la sameeyo - somali group with political clout that can shut them down unless they adhere to certain standards of public service a community organsiation -

what do you think??