Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Nomads, sailors and refugees: A century of Somali migration

Paragon   

Abstract

This working paper offers an outline of Somali migration in the 2oth Century, primarily to the West. The

paper argues that the overall geopolitical development from colonialism to the so-called new post cold war

world order significantly has structured migration from the Somali region to the West. In order to

contextualise Somali migration, the paper briefly goes through the biggest events in Somali history from the

turn of the 19th Century: Colonialism, independence, and civil war. Different cohorts of migrants include

nomads and traders crossing African colonial boundaries; sailors and soldiers in the British Royal Navy both

during and after colonialism; student and professional migration to the colonial powers, and after

independence to the former Eastern bloc up until 1977, and to the West after 1977; oil workers and whitecollar

workers to the Gulf; and refugees following the outbreak of civil war in 1988. Three ‘migration stories’

told by three Somali-Danes shows how historical events and conditions as well as personal initiatives and

coincidences have framed their journeys and destinations. Finally, the paper concludes that Somali migration

seems to continue within Europe, where Somalis who have obtained Western citizenship move on to the UK,

but also to Somalia and Somaliland.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/migration/documents/mwp23.pdf

Enjoy...

Coloow   

Ciisow, mahadsanid. This is the kind of article that I have been looking for.

Nomads at heart! Even within a country we tend to relocate. We are a people on the move (maybe because of our nomad genes- but most probably because we are still searching for our identity). The question of why somalis from mainland Europe and North America/Australia ( I have seen quite a few that have resettled) migrate to the UK is actually one that is odd. We have small dutch/swedish/danish somali colonies in London, and the midlands. Many of these families live in destitute conditions- far from the kind of housing, outdoor environments etc that they were used to when they lived in Holland, Sweden and Denmark.

The main reason (this is my own judgement) is that we somalis love to give a destorted picture of our domiciles; As the somali saying goes nimaan kuu furi doonin yuusan kuu rarin, and once when we move to the UK, we engage in the same kind of discourse.

The UK offers a receptive environment of integration (we see people who dress, walk and talk like us) but what many of us forget is that living in the UK has its hazards (how many somalis have been killed last year alone?); Qaat chewing- a maligma only second to tribalism- is killing our people!.

Paragon   

^Lol. True me bro, I am sure as we talk about this nomadism, there is a Sahan somewhere eyeing up other 'better' places to move to. We don't stop at anything, do we? smile.gif

I think the things you say about those migrating to the UK is right. I meet these folks every day and you can't imagine how many countries in the EU they came from, simply to end congregating infront in Somali own businesses. I am starting to suspect that most men's reason for moving to the UK is to simply bond with their fellow football loving, qat-chewing men-folk :D .

It's strange, really.

Chimera   

Isseh i had a very nice dream a few months back, all due to the fact that i had read some very nasty comments about us (by the natives of our adopted countries) sometime before i went to bed

My Dream:

Somalis world wide packed their bags and left for Somalia, it was being reported and followed by every news channel and they dubbed it the ''biggest back migration in recent human history''. On the sheer weight of numbers we succesfully drove the scum called warlords and traitors into the red sea and Indian ocean and cleansed our country

then we began a brutal reconstruction, i saw men and women driving bulldozers and stuff everywhere, it was really hectic, but we build a great country, a country not part of the UN-AU-Arab League or any other international organization - a pure political isolated and self-sustaining country

then the world cup started and we qualified, we had the best team and every time a Somali player scored the whole Somali crowd in the stadium was just silent, lol twisted psychological mindtrick, we were an enigma to the world

we won and still we remained silent untill the team returned home and there were massive cheers, MY ALARM SUDDENLY WENT OFF, i was so pissed off because it severed me from my dream, i closed my eyes again and hugged my pillow trying very hard to re-enter the dream world but my stubid day-to-day schedule occupied my mind and alas the dream was gone

still that morning i was very happy, i don't think i had felt that good about my country in a very long time (not since's ICU's opening of airports/seaports, destruction of warlords etc era)

lol, Adam - a true patriot even when he's asleep :D

We're certainly going to need more guys like you if we want to take the first step in realising any such dreams.

One thing is clear, nomads and sailors throughout history have brough innovation, ideas and word of hope to their people, and any succesful attempt to get the country back on its legs must start abroad, set into motion by the globetrotting Somali nomad of the 21st century.

Chimera   

We can do it, we need to be less myopic and realize there is a big world watching us, the moment the average joe realizes this, he/she will not bicker about irrelevant stuff like clan

btw most of the time in books about Somalia there is a strong emphasis on outside merchant influence but books about Yemen,Oman, India etc highlighting the Somali traders heritage are rare

it would be interesting to hear/read about there ancestors stories( most of those Somalis who have been living in places like the Deccan for centuries still know their family name and how their ancestors came as traders,mercenaries and bodyguards)

Kulmiye   

Great story adam, and I personally appreciate you sharing your thoughts. that been said I believe that dream as well- deep inside I have this feeling that things will change, may not be as you coped in your dreams but I still think that moment is promise to us- when we work our differences, and put all things to good perspective in the name of Walal ama wadani-

Ms DD   

I dared that to dream that same dream Adam. As I was reading your post, I really felt emotions that I didnt know I had.

May it come true. I truly am hungry for our beloved country.

welcome back paragon - what had you been dreaming about during your absence?

re Adams dream - war ninyahow armaad riyadeydii iga xaday? i day dream about the same thing every day; playing every scenario of proud moments in somalis future, i day dream even about the minuscule things from how the first goal in the world is scored by the somalis 'a record breaker' to the when they will dictate what is good and bad in the world 'the sole superpower'.

I HAVE DREAM - THAT ONE DAY MY DREAM WILL COME TRUE - INSHA'ALLAH

Paragon, thank you for this...i know i've been out of the loop for sometime, but issues of migration are dear to me. i am currently trying to look for different routes taken by those who fled the Mad Mullah in his time of reign...so if any of you have some insights, let me know. And Adam, great dream, i second on that notion, inshallah it will happen.

Paragon   

^Observer, thanks adeer.

I understand the importance of the current subject you intend to research, and to be frank, my grandfather was one of those who had to leave the North when Sayidka was fighting. But I can't provide you with precise information with regards to his migration - the books on the subject (and indepth tracing on the origins of the Somalis) which my grandfather and his son have written are now lost. Some borrowed by enthusiasts and not returned and others simply disappeared.

I might take on that project of writing. But not now. Other subjects interest currently. :D

It's too early to think of Somalia Fellas, Somalia is our country and sooner or later we are going back, but I am worried of our language, THE SOMALI LANGUAGE, because if you browse any somali website every individual somali writes and reads English like it become our Language, plus the childs can't even speak A word of somali because of their families..

I wish if we all try to start improving our Native Language instead of English and other languages.

Example, r u facebook USER, look how many friends of you have somali status in their profiles... Ciil Badanaa

like it's REER BAADIYENIMO if you speak your native language..

Nice Article sxb, it includes some interesting statistics and stories.