Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somalia's Timeline

Chimera   

well i haven't purchased my domain-hosting account yet since i'm being taught the ins and outs of websiteland by a personal friend, secondly there about 50 articles i'm working on that cover History,art,mythology,architecture, culture,traditions,economy,science etc and i want finish them all first

(end April - mid May) somewhere in that time period Insha-allah

^ a bit of advice .. most likely your fried would have talked to you about it already but just in case he/she hasn't.

'Domain name front-running' has become a big problem in the last few years ... what happens is that before you register your domain your going to have to search whether it is available or not through the 'Whois' functionality provided by the registers....

If you do not register it right away and wait for even as little as 24 hours you, will find the register has scooped up your name and will hold it 'hostage' , to be sold back to you for much more than the original price was.... so once you find that the name you are looking for is available do not hesitate.... there is a 5 day grace period that you can take advantage of, if you have reservations and get a full refund within the grace period.

Another danger is expiration of the domain name.. usually people only register on a year-to-year basis i strongly recommend against it because your register will not inform you when your domain is about to expire and their are companies that are 'domain squatters' whose business model is based on hunting domains that are about to expire the owners are unaware of and registering it for themselves only to sell it back to you for $$$$ or they might not even sell it back to you if it is a really good domain name..... try to register for 10 year period it is relatively inexpensive and a sound business decision considering the risk.

I personally do not host a site but I have heard many terrible things about godaddy so i would advise that before you take that leap be prepared and consult with a technical person who has experience in this area.

in the meantime read the below articles for more details regarding what i mentioned above

Domain Tasting

Domain name Front running

Domain squatters

Originally posted by Adam Zayla:

well i haven't purchased my domain-hosting account yet since i'm being taught the ins and outs of websiteland by a personal friend, secondly there about 50 articles i'm working on that cover History,art,mythology,architecture, culture,traditions,economy,science etc and i want finish them all first

(end April - mid May) somewhere in that time period Insha-allah

Little unsolicited advice: Choose a one that is both attractive and fits perfectly your site's main idea. Also, if possible, choose a unique Soomaali domain name. There are many, I am sure, that might satisfy you.

Keep what you are doing, this positive image you are doing in the name of Soomaalinimo, my brother. Dadaalka saas kusii wad, waana mid loo baahnaa.

Chimera   

Geeljire alot of interesting advice brother especially the tip about buying 10 years instead of 1 and how it's better in the long run(completly new to me, didn't know there were domain sharks out there). I will read the links thoroughly when i have time, thanks alot!

MMA i allready have the right name, which is very unique and thanks to you aswell!

Muslim01   

Is there a book where I can read about the earlier history of Somalia? The information in your posts, what books are they extracted from?

Hayat   

wow, this has to be the best read so far for the day..very nice.

geez we, "once were warriors", the stuff of legends. :D

ailamos   

Hey A.Z, thanks for the information, it's difficult to find a comprehensive historical account on Somalia. Is your website up and running? Do you contribute to the Wikipedia project? We could use people like you to contribute articles.

Ibtisam   

^^Adam has taken a Holiday from SOL for a while. If I remember correctly he was fighting with the Ethiopians in Wikipedia as they keep editing our stuff. :mad:

Damn this thread reminds me how much I miss my cyber husband, come back safely dear. smile.gif

Cara.   

That's what happens when you don't stay at home and have cyber-meals ready for your cyber-hubby. Instead you had to be a career woman didn't you? icon_razz.gif