Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somalia's Timeline

Cara.   

Surambaya, what rules are you talking about? Dave is doing a wonderful job, and many of us are silent readers in awe at his hard work and dedication.

stoit   

Adam zayla

Maasha ALLAH this is certainly one the most interesting topics and i shall make time in order to read it all insha ALLAH.

GM   

"A-J-U-U-R-A-A-N KINGDOM

1400/1780

Hobyo the ancient port of Somalia was the commercial centre of the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n Sultanate, based in Qalafo . All the commercial goods grown or harvested along the Shabelle river were brought to Hobyo to trade, as Hobyo remained the active mercantile pitstop of ancient times. The A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n rulers collected their tribute from the town in the form of sorghum (durra), and the port of Hobyo was incredibly profitable for the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n sultans.

Hobyo's A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n rulers were allies of the Mogadishu Sultanate, and trade between Hobyo and the Banaadir coast flourished for some time. So vital was Hobyo to the prosperity of the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n Sultanate that when a clan successfully revolted against the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n and established an independent Imamate of the Hiraab , the power of the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n sultans crumbled within a century,"

"not much is known about this mysterious powerfull kingdom ..............."

interesting information, any lead where i can find more info on the A-j-u-u-r-a-a-n Kingdom

thanks

Paragon   

This is beautiful, Adam. Resourceful information. Have you thought of doing some research along this time line and piece together a history of Somalia?

I have been thinking of doing so while I had access to historic materials but that time has gone. I sure would love to see someone do that. Should be interesting as a project, and a book might come out of it as a result.

PS: If I could only get access to materials!

Chimera   

Actually guys i made this topic a long time ago and i knew little, what you see in this thread is nothing compared to what i have in store, again bear with me and have patience

Isseh my future website will without a doubt attract alot of bright Somali minds, and it being a platform solely based on the intention of becoming a center where we can exchange eachother's research, who knows what it will eventually stimulate!

Paragon   

^^Absolutely beautiful. Your future website that is. Count me in as a future contributor.

Anyway, perhaps you should ask Armchair Politician to contribute with his brilliant mapping systems. He sure is going to be useful.

Chimera   

His maps are as accurate as 5+5 being 11

the guy believes in Bazrangids, a neo-colonialist is what he is, the site's purpose is exactly to destroy the neo-colonialistic mentality individuals(together with the pan-ethiopianists) like him have towards Somali History, but you will understand in the near future why i'm dismissing him.

Paragon   

^^I note your skepticism to AP's mapping system but it is good to give the man his due credit. He has the creativity and expertise to be our map maker, does he not?

What I am trying to say is that despite his earler maps which you might not agree with, he can make new maps if required. If you are trying to piece together a country's history, you'll need new relevant maps to be made to create a geographical history as well. This I am sure he can do if the needed information is provided to him, no?

Coloow   

Adam Z,

Well done!

I was once told a story about the Gobroon and geladi kingdom that stretched from south of Muqdisho to Baydhabo. Wax ma ka haaysaa arrintaasi?

How about the gasaargude kingdom in Luuq?

Chimera   

Isseh i know many mapmakers so that's not an issue, and everybody will be welcome on the forum including armchair-politician but will i use his work for my articles, hmm nope smile.gif

Odey the House of Gobroon was the ruling family of the Geledian empire which stretched as far as lamu(i have a proto-article that will cover this state from beginning to the end but it's still incomplete), and 19th century Luuqh was known as the Timbuctu of Somalia because of the brisk trade and urbanization

Paragon   

^^Well, that's alright then Adam. Apart from suggesting AP for his skill, I was trying to make your future project seem more inclusive, you know, more unionist :D .

Odey, on the Geledi Sultante, perhaps looking up in your institutes's library for the below biblio would yield some results:

Luling, Virginia. (2002). Somali sultanate: The Geledi city-state over 150 years. London: HAAN.

Relates history of town formerly called Geledi now called Afgooye, home of the Geledi clan, which

existed as an early city-state before Italian colonization. As with other Somali areas, clan loyalties and

alliances form the political framework. Colonization and modernization have barely changed basic village

roadways or cultural hierarchies, but European building styles and dress coexist with the old. Explains

settlement patterns, cultural hierarchies, and economic and agricultural practices. An annual New Year's

Stick Fight symbolically recreates local history. Includes some maps and illustrations.

Hope that helps, Odey.

Chimera   

Isseh brother, AP might have a neo-colonial mentality(as in natives were merely guests to foreigners who build the civilizations flourishing in their birth country) today, his view might change when he sees a clearer and more realistic picture of Somali History