Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

A Multicultural Somalia?

Thierry.   

I wonder if there will ever be an era when Somalia can become a multicultural state. It would be peculiarly interesting if the minister of finance will ever be a Croatian Somali or a culture minister who is Singaporean Somali.

Would it work if flocks of people who look different, dress different, eat differently yet have the same core values reside together in the Horn of Africa.

One friend of mine said it would break the doomed cycle and shift away from tribalism. Another said even if it where to happen it definitely wouldn’t be in my grand children’s life time let alone mine.

Yet when you look at history and see the great dynasties such as the Abbasid, Umayyad, the Ottomans, Greeks, Romans, and to some extent the American, they all have one thing in common, their societies evolved around multi-cultures.

Arguably the most efficient in my opinion would be the Abbasids, with its core Islamic values and the motivation Islam gives to development, they developed an intellectual and an economical utopia with mathematician from India, Philosophers from Greece Chemist from Uzbekistan and many more. The Likes of Ghazali, Ibn Rushd, Ibn Sina, and Ibn Battuta all flourished in this multicultural society and arguably this was there main inspiration came from.

So the questions to fellow nomads is when (Inshallah) we have a stable government should we encourage and nationalise intellectual foreigners, can you see a Chinese Somali Prime minister in the next hundred years. Or has the 17th century nationalism killed of such possibility ever taking place again.

Khayr   

So the questions to fellow nomads is when (Inshallah) we have a stable government should we encourage and nationalise intellectual foreigners, can you see a Chinese Somali Prime minister in the next hundred years. Or has the 17th century nationalism killed of such possibility ever taking place again

Wouldn't that be a shift in 'Somali' values? i.e knowing one's forefathers, establishing close extended family ties etc.

In anycase, what would be the objectives in trying to move in that direction: a 'Mutli-Racial' somalia?

Thierry.   

The point some would argue Khayr is that, it has worked successfully before. Some of the super ambitious Somalis consider it as a good opportunity (a short cut) of building a Metropolitan Baghdad or a New York.

Although our forefathers laid the foundation for the Somali Dhaqan it is by no means the best culture in the world. The argument is, mix the best of all cultures and you will get a rather flawless and cream de la cream society.

More views folks

ElPunto   

I think it is an excellent idea - but we have to have a functioning country first. And there would be little shift in values if the vast majority of these potential immigrants were Muslims. That way Somalia could boost the Muslim-ness of the country and possibly dilute the bad effects of clannism while helping out the wider umma which is our duty as individuals and as a nation.

Thierry.   

So you agree thepoint

Ps watch the "the road to Guantanomo†tonight if you live in the UK, it is meant to be a very documentary

We Somalis are way too racist to allow foreigners to co-habit our nation with us. Besides, what foreigner wouldn't be terrified of a people who resort to violence at the most trivial of conflicts?

maajo   

Having different ppl from different countries in one nation is what can make a country to develop fast ...so in my opinion we let others to be somalians if they are talanted , hard-work .entrepreuners or what ever adds value into mine for making this poor-unluck-country(somalia) to develop

Loool at the idea .. even the poorest of all poorest person will not migrate to Somalia ... let alone the talented ppl ... every Somali person will bite ur hand off if u offered them a way to escape the country .. let alone invite others there .. even us Somalis will not return

Samafal   

As much as I applaude the idea, its not feasible in our life time. May be if petrol was to be discovered in our land, then we would have a flow of economic migrants to our land, otherwise what kind of people in their right mind would go to a country its people dont even want to go to.

Thierry.   

Asalamu alaikum

I can understand where the realists are coming from, like Yacquub said who wants to go to a country where its own inhabitants are escaping.

I also agree with Codetalker we can’t stand someone from a rival clan becoming a President let alone Jose Santiago from Mexico.

But as an optimist or as some would say an idealist, if the formula of multicultural state is the best option for a nation then we should pursue it.

Look at it from a corporations perspective the best candidates are not selected on there ethnicity and it should be like wise if someone shares the same values as us let him run it.

Maybe when Qanyaree and Suudi put the guns down and old Pres Yusuf retires, some of the more fresh faced leaders can size up the best options for a strategic development and maybe a multicultural society will best the option available.

Ps: we have to be quick, I hate to say it but some seriously talented Iranian scientists will be up for grabs soon

Salam

we have to be quick, I hate to say it but some seriously talented Iranian scientists will be up for grabs soon

Iranians make my heart flutter as of late; they're quickly gaining up on the resident north koreans. :D Honestly, I wouldn't mind the President of Iran running Somalia.

Castro   

Originally posted by Scarlet:

Iranians make my heart flutter as of late;

:eek: Did you move to North Vancouver?

Multi-Cultural Somalia:

Good point in a sense though we were not isolated island from the beginning, we have been part of Islamic empires - like ottoman empire, but first comes first, you need to work on peace and unity first, then importance of nationalism and citizenship comes second, after that using other people's skills and money won't be a problem, Dubai is a good example money is pouring into the small emirate cos they provided what it take to be an investment hub for business, the world don’t have time for a warring clans.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

Ibn Cabaas , this sounds like a western political declaration; We want a multi cultural society!

When I first saw the topic I thought you meant embracing the many somali sub cultures- and not ónly the normenculture of Geela. The somali culture according to the self appointed cultural police is Geel-based culture! What we call murti is actually pastrolism based culture- with poems, songs and dances that have connotations to the lifestyles of the reer baadiyo(reer miyi).

The self appointed cultural police with the help of successive governments has belittled the sub cultures that have developed on the coastal towns and the farming lands. It is not unusual for these thugs to fend off songs/poems as teethless (MURTI MA LAHA).

This ****** mentality is captured when a geel singing somali meets a diiq singing somali: W

Geel singing somali: Hasha maandeeq maan maalmo

Diikh singing somali: Diiq maxaas iri, kukukuk

Geel singing somali: War waxaasi murti ma aha!

I say let us embrace the many forms of somali cultures; Diiq should have the same cultural/economic vigour as the ratiga.

What say ya?