Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

The book that was written for you...

J.Lee   

CG: you know supposedly in the end of the movie- the one with the voice over-Deckard was meant to be unveiled as the 6th replicant but they thought it'd be more dramatic if it was suggested [the repetitious remembrance of the unicorn and etc] rather than apparent.

Horta, did you suspect it?

My book is: Pronoia Is the Antidote for Paranoia :How the Whole World Is Conspiring to Shower You with Blessings -by Rob Brezsny

A friend of mine bought it for me as a birthday gift, she thought I was too much of a cynic: a pessimist. I was, as was her intention, meant to improve myself; become a more happier, braver, and a loving individual who milked and drank the blessings from life's t*t until it ran dry.

Sometimes, qosol baa la dhiman gaadhay laakiinse it did serve its purpose: I'm a better me or so she tells me every chance she gets.

Cara.   

Caano Geel:

You must tell me where the phrase comes from.

Thanks for the recommendations. Right now, I'm reading Le Guin's classic The Left Hand of Darkness, which has the following observation about patriotism:

"How does one hate a country, or love one? ... I know people, I know towns, farms, hills, and rivers, and rocks, I know how the sun at sunset falls in autumn on the side of a certain plowland in the hills; but what is the sense of giving a boundary to all that, of giving it a name and ceasing to love where the names ceases to apply? What is love of one's country; is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing."

I must read Things Fall Apart soon. Mainly because I meant to write the Great African Novel once, and it was going to be about the trials and tribulations of a small African village upon their first contact with Europeans. It was going to have pathos, and poetry, and funny African aphorisms. Above all, it was going to be a Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Alas, what I've heard of Achebe's classic leads me to believe that I've been beaten to the punch.

Cara.   

JB,

Sagan influenced me in many ways: his unashamed love of science, his opposition to nuclear proliferation, his ability to write truly amazing prose (for a scientist, this is a real accomplishment believe you me). I read everything he wrote and was devastated when he died.

Originally posted by J B:

you go around almost naked
icon_razz.gif

Something that's a little disconcerting to many people, specially Somalis. But sometimes I wear a Hazmat suit.

About your hometown, the website says:

"The city of Uppsala is Sweden's fourth largest municipality... The city's resident population is 180.000."

Good heavens, I've never seen a city give its population to three decimal places. 180 people, and it's the 4th largest city in Sweden. icon_razz.gif

Do you know how to yodel? And do you know a girl named Heidi?

Arawella   

I would agree with Orgilaqe. The Quran is the only book, which I can say has left, imprints on my life.

Nonetheless, books with no profound effects but riveting to read would be Da Vinci Code and Harry Potter.

Johnny B   

SB, from what i heard ,to call Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita a controversial literary masterpiece is an understatement, is that so?

Callypso, That Heidi (you probably seen on Discovery Channel ) who yodels is a Sami girl.

SÃMIS or Lapps have their own language, learn about the Samis , so i don´t yodel like that at all. icon_razz.gif

As for the population number,that is an innocent typo ;) .

On the other hand at school i learned 3.5 = 15 , meaning the (.) stands for (times) and 3,5 is like your 3.5 , so you can understand what might have caused that innocent Typo. :D

Cara.   

JB, Lolita is no masterpiece. It is controversial, though. Socod_Badne is just being Socod_Badne.

The Heidi I'm thinking of is a Swiss fictional character in a children's book written long ago. Whenever I talk to Europeans about Canada, they always ask about an American celebrity or landmark.

And I didn't know that yodeling was a Lapp thing.

Jimca Lee

wrt to Deckard, the book it is better able to portray the psychology of the characters and really blends/questions what we would want to define as human, it cool. Isaac Asimov also does this quite well, the foundations series and the i robot short stories are fantastic, they still seem relevent - considering what value we give to people and how we define difference. Pronoia-ally book sounds interesting, but i tend to stay away from anything that claims it will be good for me - with out a more obvious insentive than 'cos they gonna get my money. anyhow eva read the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series?

Callypso-i-like-it-so the name is from a robert mitchum calypso album, with classic songs like the fantastic Mighty Sparrow cover Jean and Dinah, from Logical Point of View, Not Me, Tic Tic Tic, all explaining the righteousness of a man, while remaining fantastically cheesy, funny, and funky. anyhow the cover below says it all

enlargement.jpg

though i have to say, it wories me if sagan makes you wanna cry, thats hardcore synacism girl! To balance it out i recomend a quick course of Love in the Time of Cholera to remedy this and save us from the genius of a logical and consistant african village - lord forbid! -- yeah, so do you think texas shoul be given back to mexico?

la dolce vei, indeed for potter

JD you see that explains what happens when grow up amongst liberals, shame on you for not liberating yourself from their decedant imoral land! anyhow we think my dad is swedish so i'll speak to him and one day you could help us trace his lammi roots.