Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

The Earth is Flat

SeeKer   

I couldn't help it I've being ignoring this thread for a minute :D

Khayr I want you to do yourself a favor sxb. I am sensing that a history lesson is in order and I don't think I am wise enough to teach it. I will give you a name; one of the scientists of faith. He is Muslim and a scientist and probably discovered the fact that the earth was round before Galileo. His name is Al-Biruni . To the moon question Ali Kushchu would be one to look up.

The "Age of the Scientific Revolution/Renaissance Period" is chockfull of scientists whose primary aim was the exploration of the universe and nature that God created.Their main goal being coming nearer to God by discovering His laws. Some of the scientists known for their devotion to God and who made much impact in the world of science were Boyle,Newton, Kepler, Copernicus, Bacon, Galileo, Pascal et al.

Lmao about why the guy in south pole wouldn't fall off :D Are you finding it hard to reconcile your faith with scientific facts.........waa yaab :eek:

juba   

W O W :eek:

A DEBATE ABOUT WHETHER THE EARTH IS FLAT OR ROUND IN THE 21ST CENTURY TAKING PLACE IN THE INTELLECTUAL SECITON

THE IRONY NEVER ENDS!

Castro   

^ You'll be surprised what other known "facts" are still disbelieved in the 21st century. Here's one: space travel is impossible. Mind you, those who do believe in these things have shown absolutely no evidence to support their allegations other than some rag-tag digitally "edited" Hollywood videos conspiracy theory. Ooh the nerve! :D

I believe I was 11 years old when I endeavored into explaining the "earth is not flat" concept to another kid. I obtained a ball and gave details of my thought using a finger on the ball moving around the sphere and coming back to the same spot.

As I was doing the demonstration, the kid seized the ball from me and said "well if I am on this ball and I move to the edge, how come I don't fall off. And if I fall where do I go? Hell?

I smiled and told him “you won’t. Korontaa kugu dhegganâ€. We went for lunch.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

I believe I was 11 years old when I endeavored into explaining the "earth is not flat" concept to another kid. I obtained a ball and gave details of my thought using a finger on the ball moving around the sphere and coming back to the same spot.

As I was doing the demonstration, the kid seized the ball from me and said "well if I am on this ball and I move to the edge, how come I don't fall off. And if I fall where do I go? Hell?

I smiled and told him “you won’t. Korontaa kugu dhegganâ€. We went for lunch.

You have proven what I was trying to illustrate in this thread saxib....How do you explain that the earth is 'round' to say a desert nomad who has only roamed the 'sahara deserts' all his life...or how do you tell say a grandfather, who never let 'Berbera' etc.

What benefits would it have to telling them that the 'earth is round' if they belief that it is 'flat'. If that myth-earth is flat, has kept them close to their home habitat, has kept them weary of 'Distance' and conscious of 'TIME'.

Our sense of 'TIME' AND 'DISTANCE' has vastly changed now and has altered the makeup of society by way of Urbanization (you can be a family of 4, and all 4 of you live in some corner of the world, such that 'Distance' is not a question anymore because you 'purchase a ticket' at a drop of hat.

This concept that the 'Earth is Round' has altered societies and has lead way to 'MODERN URBANIZED Societies' wherein, the concept of Family, the concept of Community has vastly changed.

Just look at your neighbours and tell me how many you of them you know?

Just tell me how many relatives live within a 'walking distance' from you?

Muhammad   

any change that comes due to a new paradigm shift in a community, if it is based on fact, is a new response-ability. once that shift occurs, you better buckle up.

this reminds me of an anthropologist who went into a jungle and found people who never left the jungle. when he was leaving, one man went with him, and when they left the jungle the man saw buffaloes grazing on the far distance.

he turned to the anthropologist and asked;

"are those things flies?"

Khayr   

Salamz,

Originally posted by Muhammad:

any change that comes due to a new paradigm shift in a community, if it is based on fact, is a new response-ability. once that shift occurs, you better buckle up.

this reminds me of an anthropologist who went into a jungle and found people who never left the jungle. when he was leaving, one man went with him, and when they left the jungle the man saw buffaloes grazing on the far distance.

he turned to the anthropologist and asked;

"are those things flies?"

Considering the man lived in the jungle, am suprised that he never saw a Buffalo smile.gif

any change that comes due to a new paradigm shift in a community, if it is based on fact, is a new response-ability

So you are in support of Change, if say it can show that the 'Change' will produce 'EFFICIENCY'.

Correct me if I am wrong.

But let me pose this question to you as a muslim,

say for example the Myth of the 'Great Flood' and 'Noah's Arc' was proven to be False and could be proven to be otherwise, what would you of that because it would go against what scriptures have said and would ease people from 'scriptural teachings'.

What if a grave was found in say Quba, outside of Medina and the body of the Prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasilm) was proven to be found and all the muslims shifted their attention from Medina to Quba etc. Wouldn't that have a drastic impact on Muslim History and the Sanctity of Medina. Surely, Medina would become 'Just another City' and all that 'Muslim History' would be questioned, if not ignored.

Are you catching my drift here because this is really not about believing that the Earth is Flat....its more then that...

Fi Amanillah

Muhammad   

Salaams

Originally posted by Khayr:

Considering the man lived in the jungle, am suprised that
he never saw a Buffalo
smile.gif

It was not because he hasn't seen buffaloes before, it was due to his perception of Distance. smile.gif

So you are in support of Change, if say it can show that the 'Change' will produce 'EFFICIENCY'.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm in support of truth. a new change is a response of the indivitual or society in light of a new found truth or fact. that change can be for good or for worst, that is where choice comes in. hence Responce-Ability.

Wisdom is the lost property of a believer, it is his, wherever he may find it" Muhammad 32710572792.gif

But let me pose this question to you as a muslim,

say for example the Myth of the 'Great Flood' and 'Noah's Arc' was proven to be False and could be proven to be otherwise, what would you of that because it would go against what scriptures have said and would ease people from 'scriptural teachings'.

What if a grave was found in say Quba, outside of Medina and the body of the Prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasilm) was proven to be found and all the muslims shifted their attention from Medina to Quba etc. Wouldn't that have a drastic impact on Muslim History and the Sanctity of Medina. Surely, Medina would become 'Just another City' and all that 'Muslim History' would be questioned, if not ignored.

Are you catching my drift here because this is really not about believing that the Earth is Flat....its more then that...

Fi Amanillah

I never liked taking the 'what if' train, I always end up at the wrong station and almost never reach my destination, but I got your drift.

but here is the equation of the Mu'min, please correct me if I error;

Islam = truth

truth = Islam

Islam = fact

fact = Islam

so to the believer, Islam is both 'truth' and a 'fact', or you can say 'a self evident truth that can be proven through science and mathematics".

I'm going to present few questions for you to ponder over, is our perception, what we see, hear, feel, taste, smell at any given moment, fact or truth? do you know for a fact that you are reading this or is it just a dream? and what is the Truth about scientific Facts anyway?

are you getting my drift, o faithful one?

please forgive me if I ended up at the wrong station. ;)

Allahu'Alam

Salam Alykum

1. "I think, therefore I am" as opposed to "I believe, therefore I am."

2. The Quran doesn't state that the earth is flat. Some here need to get a better understanding of the Arabic language and its niceties.

3. If the earth was flat, how can we possibly have day and night?

4. Why is it that when a Banana sails into the horizon, it completely disappears?

5. If the earth was flat, how can you possibly explain the earth's silhouette on the moon during a lunar eclipse?

6. [25.44] Or do you think that most of them do hear or understand? They are nothing but as cattle; nay, they are straying farther off from the path.

Wa salam