Sign in to follow this  
Miskin

Nationalism and nation-building

Miskin   

When I think about Somalia, which is very often, I usually picture a horrifying scene where a group of hungry human look alikes (the warlords)attacking a weak but attractive and beautiful young lady(the nation), and each one is grapping as many pieces of flesh, internal organs and all for themselves and for their respective clans of course. Nowhere in their long shopping list could you see or read anything to do with rebuilding a nation (the Somali Nation). Each one thinks it is someone else's responsibility, the rest of the world, for that matter, to deal with the question of rebuilding the nation.

I wonder, will this ever change, will the rest of the world care, will the warlords wise up and face the reality or will the young generation ever realise its responsibilities and act. Will fathers ever say enough is enough (we cannot afford to loose any more of our precious sons).

Castro   
Miskin, we're not at the bottom yet. Good questions you pose. Wait another 20-30 years and you might get an answer. Until then, relax and enjoy life.

Don’t dwell on the damned maniacs of Somalia and their pathetic khat addicted sidekicks, like Castro said enjoy life. Seems like you’ve missed the I grieve for Somalia revolution about five years too late.

Janna   

Originally posted by Miskin:

will the warlords wise up and face the reality

The warlords are bunch of gutless wonders. No chance of them owning up.

will the young generation ever realise its responsibilities and act.

The young generation are somewhat careless. Many are too busy with their social surrounds believing (where ever they are located) has become their home.

Will fathers ever say enough is enough (we cannot afford to loose any more of our precious sons).

Some fathers are probably teaching their sons how to fight. Perhaping them for a tribal war.

So no father/s will not say enough is enough. Some are after revenge.

Mariana   

Assalmu Alkum

the UN has just started its first project, which aims to get educated/qualife somalis in the diaspora to go back home to volunteer their time to their country. Maybe you should volunteer.

Miskin   

Mariana,

Going back home and offering our time is one of the many challenges we face, but it one that we sadly ignore. Perhaps we should all consider going back. What do you think

Miskin

juba   

Originally posted by Castro:

Miskin
, we're not at the bottom yet. Good questions you pose. Wait another 20-30 years and you might get an answer. Until then, relax and enjoy life.

Enjoy life? when our country is a war-torn land with no law, justice, or government? Thats the kind of attitude of our younger generation, the ones who are supposed to go back home AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE, that will keep Somalia in the Dark Ages.

Miskin   

building a nation and maintaining its success requires the spirit of nationalism of its people. Nationalism is not something you pick and choose but rather something one is born to be and is expected of. Look around the world for a great example. Many different and distinct people live together as one nation called Indonesia; more than 50 States called themselves the United States of America; Great Britain is another great example. Neither the scotts nor the walesh like the English (not mentioning the Irish) but they share a great nation. Ruwandans have realised that ethnic cleansing has no future for them so they decided to forgive and forego hatred and anger in their society, they agreed to rebuild their lives and their nation again. Why cant we do the same, why cant we realise "QABIIL" doesnt work. Why cant we learn from experience. People always tell me that we "Somalis" are very intelligent people. Well, i am sorry but i dont see it. Correct me if i am wrong, but intelligent means knowing whats best for you. DO WE????

shyhem   

You want the truth,ain't nobody really cares about Somalia.

Somalis in somalia should be willing to die for their values and all that their nation stands for,until that day you might as well forget about somalia.

Saying i love somalia behind a computer in north america is not gonna change anything.