Sign in to follow this  
DooLittle

Humanitarian Intervention

Just Thinking Ahead:

If things were to not go as we hope and by now we have all learned that the biggest danger our people face today is from our own state.

I know I am not ready to watch more Somalis suffer and die. So if our plans with this government does not work out,and God forbid, because I pray for peace. I will be the first one, unless otherwise persuaded, to advocate for intervention from the outside world.

One can argue that allowing others to come in to our country would be violating our sovereignty, but what is the alternative? genocide, what is sovereignty going to do for the dead and the dying?

I believe I will be the first to yell "get the UN on the phone"

-DooLittle

shyhem   

If u can't fix your house,what makes you think others will fix it for you.I don't know which one is sad,the fact that you believe in the whole UN "international" we are the world crap or the fact that somalis can't fix their sh!t.

You can take a cow to the river, but you can never force the cow to drink from the river.I personally believe,Only the folks currently living in Somalia can fix the mess they created.

Almas   

I don't think anyone else can fix the mess going on in Somalia but us the people who created it.

But if this government is not going to come through for its people; the UN or something should have some kind of peace keepers to help protect some of the basic human rights that have been violated, or atleast thats would I would want ideally.

An option would be unilateral humanitarian intervention in Somalia, where there is no government, i think we have the moral obligation to protect the weak and the oppressed, many other states have similar point of views as well.

Recently i heard a girl was set on fire in Somalia becuz she had owed $21 [uS]to a store owner. - State building starts with human agency, and respect for other humans, and setting up institutions for voice and exit.

Almas

The UN would be an ideal candidate for human rights protection, but .. we must look at Bosnia, Congo, - especially the Congo where UN peacekeepers are sexually assualting the citizens there.