Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Traditional Music Oud, Interview

NASSIR   

I CAME ACROSS THIS LINK, IT IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL INTERVIEW. IT WILL REALLY TEACH YOU THE ORIGIN OF SOMALI MUSIC, YOU WILL HEAR INSTRUMENTS BEING PLAYED, SONGS, AND ETC. ABDILAHI QARSHE AND XUDEEDI.

BBC, INTERVIEW AND SONGS.

WardheerNews

mshudeydi5.jpg

When I was 14 years old, my father took me to a party in Aden where I heard an Arabic man playing an oud. I liked it and knew I wanted to learn how to play myself. XUDEEDI

Laba-X   

Fortunate enough now Xudeydi has his own school of Music in Fulham. Hopefully he can inspire the new generation here and pass the tradition!

Uurhooyo is a beautiful song with heart-renching lyrics!

NASSIR   

The man is aspiring. I have often wanted to learn Oud and other musical instruments. In the interview, he said he has passed his skills to most of his children and some extended relatives. Do you think we would see a whole musician family like the blessed Reer Naaji in the future.

Where is Fulham?

That is awesome.

I came across another website, unfortunetly i don't have the link right now, but it had the history of the oud, and the somali adaptation of such an instrument.

I am so glad to hear about Xudaad, because this gives me so much hope, that you guys in england now have the opportunity to learn the ancient instrument. Is it possible for you to share the full adress of this school, when i come to England Inshallah i would like to come visit.

thank you

Laba-X   

Caamir, a community centre granted to Xudeydi by the Local Authority acts as his school now. It's not only a place where music is taught though. It has I.T Facilities and also help is provided to the Somali ommunity living there with housing, finding jobs and Immigration.

The computers are due to be brought in soon and then Insha-Allah I am hoping to start working there soon in the I.T department!

Communites are sources of easy Income here! ;)