Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Samatars’ lackadaisical mirroring, and the flawed social contract theory - A Critiq

Sophist   

There lies the question, what If? That aside, I think it is timely for such a debate to open up within the Qalinleey Community.

LSK, hey send me PM with your Num, I lost yours!

Baashi   

Despite Ahmed Gashan’s well-written rebuttal, the Samatar’s main contention stands unscathed. It seems to me that Ahmed Gashan and Samatars are referring to two different “Social Contractâ€. Theirs is not the political philosophy advanced by the likes of Hobbes, Rousseau, and Locke. My reading is that they are merely recommending five main conditions that must be met for the TFG to be successful. They just gave their recommendation the fancy name of “worthy†Social Contract.

Moreover, they are not necessarily against the federal arrangement per se - at least in this essay - but the way the conference was managed. They are clearly against one group of politicians and Abdi Samatar is known for his unwise and ill-thought outburst against PL leadership. Nevertheless, the charges against Inna Yussuf have its merits. Farah Dheere, Suldaan Hurre, and Jamac A. Jamac were his political foes and they were neutralized under his rein. The strong man commanded respect not because of his benevolent rule but his unforgiving heavy handedness. In any event, the piece is a good read.

Here is the piece the Samatar's wrote.

2 It is reported that some of the presidential candidates paid as much as $3,000 per MP vote. The great

irony is that some of the candidates’ salesmen took cash and the Quran to potential vote sellers. The seller,

then, was sworn to cast his/her vote for the buyer. Impartial witnesses reported that money was “King.†A

brutally honest MP stated, “if money had a father today, he would have wept due to the ease with which it

was squandered.†This suggests that swearing on the Quran for these MPs had no sacred meaning. What

possible value would the swearing of the new president have for concerned citizens?

This throws everything worked hard for over the past few years in the dustbins....

The word of ALLAAH doesnt mean much to these people. Would the responsibility that comes with running acountry and its people mean anything?

Sophist   

Without being generously brutal like my fair fellow Tolstoy, the essay which I have reread now seems quite at loss with its desired effect. Failingly, my fellow Gasshan’s piece becomes redundant at its lack of pronounced aims; he seems (murkily) to refute a premise of which Sammatar’s.

But unlike my old boy Tolstoy, I think this opens a window of opportunity to take our academic hammers and destroy any fanciful building which is feebly built. Let the inks spill and see which ink persists against saturated chemicals which the intellectual’s cleaners sport.