Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

Islam and Democracy compatibility Nor coexistence: How fundamentally they are at odds

Caveman   

The word democracy originates from the Greek δημοκÏατíα from δημος meaning "the people", plus κÏατειν meaning "to rule", and the suffix íα; the term therefore means "rule by the people."

What is democracy?. Does it serve the interest of the people? …The definition of democracy doesn’t mean leaders serving the interest of the people nor does’t mean the “rule of lawâ€, but the true definition of Democracy is the “rule by the peopleâ€, If we are under the elusion that western governments serve the interest of the people, we are very much in danger, of being part of the Muslims who are conquered ideologically, western governments serve the interest of big business, western governments serve the interest of multi-national corporations. Government in the western world serve the interest of the ruling elite, but they create an elision, and make it seem to the people that what they are doing is for the good of the people. But that is not their primary interest, their primary interest is the ruling elite and the aligned capitalist usury system and not necessarily serving the interest of the masses.

In this context, Islam has a set of norms and values that emphasizes the equality of people, the accountability of leaders to community, and the respect of diversity and other faiths, since Muslim proponents of Democracy use these Islamic values to support their interest, yet they ignore the most basic and fundamental aspect of Democracy. Democracy in its essence contradicts Islam, democracy fundamentally contradicts Towheed. Islam upholds that Allah(swt) is Al-xaakim, Allah(swt) is al-xakiim, Allah(swt) is al-maalik. Allah(swt) - is the king, he is the wise, he is the judge, he is the law-maker. We Muslims are supposed to judge on what Allah(swt) has revealed, But democracy says we ought to judge by what the people decide, Democracy says its not that Allah(swt) that who is a sovereign, it’s the people that are sovereign. And what the people decide is moral that is moral, what people decide is immoral that is indeed immoral. What the people decide is good that is good, and what the people decide is evil that is evil.

That is Democracy, and it fundamentally contradicts Islam, it contradicts the basic belief of the Islamic teaching. Democracy has a whole different philosophical out look then that of Islam and what the materialistic secular societies want in the form of democracy. Democracy upholds the belief that man’s laws are superior to God’s laws. In contrary, in Islamic methodology Allah(swt) is the sole creator and sustainer of the Worlds, in this capacity, Allah (SWT) revealed His divine guidance to humanity, made certain things permissible and others prohibited, set the boundaries of aggression and transgression, what is good and evil, …etc, and commanded people observe His injunctions and to judge according to them.

Yet, proponents of Democracy advocate Muslims to consider religion as exactly the same framework as the secular western societies consider religion. As the saying goes give God what belongs to God and give Caesar what belongs to Caesar. Their ideas of religion is individuals own personal affair, it has nothing to do with the laws we live by, the economic system, International affairs, human rights, religion is just your personal ways that you relate to GOD. Therefore they want to create condition in which Muslim societies are secularized and to a curtain extend exceeded in few predominantly Muslim Countries in tilting to secular materialistic Islamic states.

"Secularism" is a doctrine, by definition that tantamount to the idea that religion and state are different and separable entities. To be secular' means to `be oriented toward this age.’, to change/adjust or even update your believes with the changing times.

Secularism is compatible with the Western concept of God which maintains that after God had created the world, He left it to look after itself. In this sense, God’s relationship with the Secular-world is like that of a carmaker with a car: he makes it then leaves it to function without any need for him. This concept is totally different from that of Islam. In Islam Allah(swt) is the omnipotent and omniscient as well as the sustainer of the existence of everything in and between the heavens and the earth..

Consequently, Islam is a comprehensive system of worship (`ibadah) and a legislation (Shari`ah), a complete way of life, the acceptance of secularism means abandonment of Shari`ah, a denial of the divine guidance and a rejection of Allah’s injunctions; It is indeed a false claim that Shariah is not proper to the requirements of the present age. The acceptance of a legislation formulated by humans means a preference of the humans’ limited knowledge and experiences to the divine guidance: "Say! Do you know better than Allah?" (2:140).

Salam!

YOU ARE A DORK,

Muslims are tired of being ruled by tyrannical ****** like the Sauds and Mubaraks of the world. We need democracies that will allow for our ummah to find freedom from under the oppressive hands of these dictators.

Caveman   

Moving beyond the petty name callin’…What do you really know about the shari’ah?.

Its necessary to understand what the Shari’ah stands and where it was derived from, before the ambivalence over it, other then the continuous Slandering, manipulating about the truth of Islam by the media-machine.

Also, where do get your info that the Authoritarian Monarchy in Saudi Arabia or the most repressive dictator in Cairo are the models of Islamic governance?. These tyrants have exploited Islam to the appeasement of their master’s, its those that preach “freedom†around the world that are propping up these despots regardless of ethical or moral standards with out the shame of double standards.

Like it or not the Shari`ah derives its force primarily from Koranic provisions and the guidance of the Prophet Muhammad(saw) The Shari`ah upholds for the individual freedom of conscience, the freedom of choice, the right to privacy and the right to private property, Islam did all of those long before Greeks uttered these “Freedom†words.

Its ironic lots of (Muslims) don’t have faith in our Diin, and we are let to believe that any Muslim who wants to adhere the revival of the Islam indiscriminately lumped together as 'Fundamentalist', ‘irrational’ and ‘uncivilized’. And the Country, in which Islam flourishes are categorised as "materially backward", ‘fanatical’, the first proponents and believers of these malevolent and exaggerated propaganda’s are Muslims them-selves due to our unwilling to learn Islam.

But good thing 4 you the Iraqi Election is almost underway, watch n’ enjoy the “Freedom†of Democracy in Iraq as it reaches its pinnacle there.

You have touched on a very complex topic but I have to say you have not done it any justice and you just mixed left and right. For example, you didn’t even say how many types of democracies are there and what are the differences between them. Also, you didn’t mention the evolution of democracy and all you have done is give us the classic definition for it and omitted to say what the Greeks meant by the ‘people’— cause as far as the ancient Greeks were concerned it wasn’t democracy for the masses.

So what is Democracy in practise in this age and not just give us a classical definition? For me, democracy is a type of government where the people can hold into account those who lead or govern them. We need to hold the leaders into account for the simple reason, they are human being who are greedy and open to corruption easily. So the tools of this type of governments guaranties us, the rooting out of bad leaders. We have to admit we don’t live in a perfect world but at least these tools are better than any other of form of governments where the leaders are not accountable to those they lead.

So where is the fear in a system like this? To some people the fear comes about; because they believe this system make the people the source of power where only God is the source of power! However, this is unfounded since we are talking about countries where the Muslim are the majority (remember in a democracy the majority rule) and such people wont pass legislation that would contradict Islam.

What is more we can put some articles in the constitution of these countries, saying something along the lines; any legislation that contradicts Islam will not be accepted because Islam is the religion of the State and the source of legitimacy of all its institutions.

So I will conclude by asking you what form of government are you proposing. Would you care to tell us the different types of democracies that are out there and how they all contradict Islam? Finally, how is democracy bad for us?

Curly   

Caveman, I whole heartily agree with you! I have been for some time trying to convey this very point on SOL for sometime, with sadly no luck.

I suggest you read this topic, http://www.somaliaonline.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000575#000000 Freedom and Democracy, do you buy that?

Where I practically went blue in the face discussing, but I have come to realize that democracy can only be abolished and Islam put in it's place in an ideal world, where people are not over powered with their own selfish greed.

As a system of governance, democracy is a perfect fit in a truly Islamic society. How could you say otherwise when democracy provides a unique and very useful means for the Muslim masses to participate in the political discourse? I for one could not find a reasonable objection to it. Perhaps the wisdom of this system is lost in the semantics, origins, and definitions of its name.

Some would say democracy contradicts Islam because it grants the power of legislation to someone other than Allah. I say that would be true to un-Islamic society where Allah has no primary role in their daily life. In a true Islamic society, however, that is not at all possible. It’s a revealed truth that Muslim masses would never agree to go against Allah’s wishes. Given the voice and the means, Muslim majority would always be on the right side. So that fear is unfounded.

Others may say democracy is objectionable and is not a Sharia-compliant System of governance as it encourages the rights of gays and lesbians, separates government from religion, and advocates the rights of every sinner and faasiq. I say democracy has no particular values per se. All democratic governments represent and reflect the values of the society that produced it. For instance, a republican administration would reflect the values of its voters and would not be expected to be a gay-friendly. Likewise a democratically elected government in Saudi Arabia would still be rooted in conservative Islam. The point is Democracy is a mere means.

As always, Islam can indeed perfect this system and tune it to its liking. So instead of rejecting it out of hand, we need to consider democracy.

Just as there are aspects that are similar in every religion there are aspects in different political systems that are also similar. This however does not mean they're compatible.

When most people say Islam and Democracy are compatible what they actually mean is there's some similarity between the two. For example, while the right to choose a leader exists in both (in Islam in the form of giving allegiance), in democracy the people choose leader on the condition that he will rule them with whatever they dictate. Contrast this to Islam, where choosing a leader is seen as a contract between the people and the leader that he will rule with what Allah has revealed. So in democracy, when the people are displeased with their leader bc he has failed to answer to them, they vote him out. In Islam, however, we don't have this right as we can not remove the leader we've chosen so long as he doesn't break the contract we have with him and rules with what Allah has revealed.

For argument's sake, even if the democratic ruling system and the Islam were so similar that they were almost indistinguishable, it would still be wrong for Muslims to adopt democracy as their ruling system since Allah has already defined one for us. After all, who better knows us than He?

juba   

Caveman

so one reason you think Democracy and Islam are uncomptaible and contradictory is because one includes Secularism? Cannot one practice Democracy without secularism? i think it is possible to infuse religion into the state, both can be harmonies in the Government especially among muslims who don't see a problem with that anyway. i think this ideolagy and our own religion can be compatible if we be a little innovative with it. Keep the same ground rules but make it adapt to Islam.( for ex. making mosque and state stand side by side)

and if Democracy is bad for islam, what other ideal systems of Gov't are good for it?

Haddad   

Originally posted by juba:

so one reason you think Democracy and Islam are uncomptaible and contradictory is because one includes Secularism?

No, you got it wrong. It's not one includes Secularism; it's one is divine, the other is human.

juba   

Originally posted by Haddad:

No, you got it wrong. It's not
one includes Secularism
; it's one is divine, the other is human.

Exactly what is your point here? that something divine and something human can't coexist? and how does this pretain to the topic of Islam and Democracies supposed incompatibility? just trying to clarify here.

Innalhamdalillah,

the Sharia(islam) is complete and perfect in all in the every sense of the word. Anything that is lacks then know, may Allah have mercy on you, that there is no Good in it, even though the People may perceive as such. There is nothing good in Demo. except that Islam encompasses it, likewise there is nothing wicked and destructive in demo CRAP cy except that islam is free from it!

"Qul! Do you know better than Allah?" (2:140).

this is my personal view,

democracy has many forms, it means that people of a country has the last vote. it mean elected rulers are acountable to the people who elected them. now does islam gives such power to the people ?

to answer the above question we must remind ourseleves that the age of holiy prophet is over, after him no one is holy.as ibnu malik said " everyone's word can be taken or threw away except the prophet".

if there are no holy people among the moslims and the holy book is subject to the explanation of unholy scholars who cuased so much pain and division among the msulim, what shall we do?

remember guys even the sunah is not agreed upon, becuase we do not agree if all the sahabs are justice in arabic cuduul or not.

the only way possible solve and end the tyranny in muslim world is to give full power to the peole , majoratity counts , people should elect assemply and that assemply must be islamicly qualified people who have knowledge of islam as well as modern knowlege.these elected then will act as fuqhaa and will decide the politic.

this is what is think waliyat faqiih.

the shurah is not politically workable as the coucil of shurah are handpicked by the ruler with out the consent of the ruled.one may say that there are ayat which mentions and literaly comands prophet to seek consultation in arabic shuurah before making decisions, but that is becuase prophet was holy and he only takes what is right.

African   

Whenever I read about “Islam & Democracy†their being compatible or in incompatible, I see that people are stuck with terminologies (Greek or former US presidents).

In my belief we should not discuss Islam and Democracy as 2 equal systems. Islam should not be leveled with flawed system that’s man made. Islam is a comprehensive way of life that tackles every aspect of a human need.

So lets not talk about Democracy and talk about the political aspect of Islam, the part “How should a Muslim leader come to be�

1. Can I as a Muslim citizen have the right to choose who should lead me, do I have a say or nor?

2. Do I have the right to vote him out of office?

Please answer the above question with YES or NO.

african you made a valid point. however, i think everyone here recognises that islam can not be leveled with man-made sytems of governance.everyone also understands that holy quaran and sunah as the main guiders of our daily live needs to be interpreted according to our understanding capacity.

So lets not talk about Democracy and talk about the political aspect of Islam, the part “How should a Muslim leader come to be�

1. Can I as a Muslim citizen have the right to choose who should lead me, do I have a say or nor?

2. Do I have the right to vote him out of office?

Please answer the above question with YES or NO.

the aswer of your questions will hugely depend on understanding and interpretation of quaran and sunah.if say no ie as muslim citizen have no right to choose who lead you then you understand well may be that muslim leader are God choosing and no one can challenge them, that is what is use to be and still is in some countries in muslim. royal families in the past used QADAR as tool to suppres the muslim citizens, it was a famous word " a takhlacu qamiisan qamasaka allahu" said by marwan. this sort of interpretation divided muslim into groups and sects and mark dark dot in the heart of muslim history.it classfies the muslim into first class and second as it is now in most of arab countries.

if on the other hand say yes ie you have the right o choose who lead you as muslms citizen then you need to think of suitable ways that will not be contradictory to the teaching of islam.