Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Against Abortion but still Pro-choice?

Faheema.   

^^^ Good Question.

I think it is difficult to determine which life is more “valuableâ€, but I believe the child is at more risk for a difficult life without a mother. Suppose she has other children, would you say it’s fair? The loss of a brother/sister is tragic, but the loss of mother can harm them by depriving them the love and affection of a mother.

Having said that, the mother's life is almost never 100% at risk. Additionally, there are alternative methods, like C-Sections which can protect both the mother and the child in most circumstances.

Allah knows best.

Raganimo although you are right to believe that deliberate abortion is haram, I think you need to be less sweeping with your statements. Abortion and contraception are indeed permitted in Sharia law as long as they are exercised appropriately and not abused.

Islam defines life as starting in the pregnancy 40 days after the fertilisation of the woman's eggs. Muslim narrates from Ibn Mas'ud that the Prophet (pbuh)said " when 40 nights have passed on the nutfah (egg fertilised by sperm), Allah sends an angel to form it. He creates its skin, hearing, vision, flesh and bones. then the Angel says, O Allah! Male or Female? Then it will be ordered....." In another narration '40 nights' was mentioned instead of 42. Any intervention before this time is considered a form of contraception and so it is NOT FORBIDDEN.

However aborting a child at 24 weeks (current UK legislation) for purely selfish reasons is not only extremely xaram, but morally wrong!!!

Almas   

Nefertiti was the only one who had the good sense to look it up in Hadith, instead of stating what was "believed"...Thanks walaal

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

Interesting discussion folks. Its great to finally see some one use some dalil (proof/hadith) to state their point. I’m a strong believe in prevention is better then cure, they shouldn’t have been involved in such activities. But being only human we are prone to mistakes. Even the Muslims in the time of the prophet fell victim to this sin. However we should take responsibility for our own actions. A perfect example of this is the story of the young woman who came to the Prophet (saw) after committing adultery and falling pregnant, seeking punishment for her sins. The prophet told her to go off and have her baby and then come back. When she came back the prophet told her to nurse her child for two years and then come back, she did just that and came back after nursing her child. At this point she was stoned to death. One of the companions of the Prophet who was there got some of this woman’s blood splattered on him, he was disgusted and so he cursed her. The Prophet (saw) told him not to do so for this woman has more Iman then most of us can imagine having and was guaranteed Jannatul Firdos.

Abortion in some case are permissible, nonetheless there are strict rules according to when and if you are allowed in individual cases. But that does not mean that every uncontrollable act of adultery can be or should be acceptable to have an abortion to fix their problem. What you are killing is an innocent child who came to life because of the mistake you made. ALLAH is all seeing and all hearing so this cover up is still known and you will be held accountable for your actions. But ALLAH is also ARAHMAAN and ARAHEEM, most merciful and most forgiving. We need to understand that yes we make mistakes lakiin don’t make it worse then it is by adding another sin to the list.

Hmm I think I dwelled off the topic here, oops.

Wasalaamz