Sign in to follow this  
dawoco

What will become of us- a pessimistic point of view of an optimist.

dawoco   

There is a programme on one of the bbc channels that got me thinking about being “Somali†whether one is born in the northern or southern regions. The programme is poignantly titled “who do you think you are†and follows celebrities around while they trace their family tree and try to discover what their ancestors where like.

It is ironic how easily we Somalis can achieve that feat and how our pride in our family lines has brought about the ruins of us. Instead of seeing it as a way to tap into the history of our nation, we have used it to set up a hierarchy that defines our place in society. It is naturally laughable that the hierarchy is set up differently in each tribe, with the said tribe being at the pinnacle of the tribal tree. This firm believe of “my family is the best therefore I am the best†seems to have turned us into a nation of id!ots who are tribe controlled, many of whom have killed and molested in the name of a man that existed once upon a time.

Putting it that way is oversimplifying the issue, granted, but isn’t that what the tribal system comes down to when one removes all the glorified details?

After a decade and a half of bloodshed a long overdue government has been chosen, we have made a break through, now things will be better. But hold on, the chosen government has not been chosen by the people, who each wanted a clan member for president so that they and their family could prosper. After all that time of negotiation we now have a government that can’t govern. I, like many, hope that the government works out well, never mind the fact that it is made out of people with their own interests in mind. As long as they achieve what they have been selected for, who really cares right? Whether they posses the Herculean will power to do so remains to be seen.

Still, not all Somalis are useless hen wits who have more brain cells than they know what to do with. There is yet hope for us, in the form of all those over qualified and over opinionated nomads abroad, me being one of them, who have been empowered by their western upbringing and education. Surely, they will all return to build up the country and help disperse the overvalued tribal system. Since all of us speak more than one language and are highly qualified in our chosen fields, with the added bonus that we posses a great appreciation for a land of our own, how can we not succeed?

Quite easily actually, just go and look at the political forum of each Somali run website and the hate spewed there. This includes our own sol. It seems like a cliché, but it still stands that you can take a Somali away from any tribal system but that you can never take the inbred sense of tribal pride out of the Somalis. Instead of learning from the pain inflicted on our nation, of the uselessness of each Somali individual being related to a war casualty or knowing a victim sought out for his/her last name and family tree.

Witless individuals who never experienced the anguish of having to flee ones home in fear for ones life are arrogant enough to stand up and defend ignorant opinions. Who can blame them, their families have been spared. This gives them the privilege to have crude discussions about things that they know little about, albeit in a political context. The whole Somalia-Somali land argument is a prime example of this. Personally I don’t care whether there is a separation of states or not, if it helps some of our people better themselves then so be it, as far as I care. However I have no respect whatsoever for those in western countries who advocate for and against separation between the north and south of Somalia.

The deluded Somali Landers who use the poor people killed in the south to showcase how they are superior as region/country give good people from the north a bad name. Thank god those hateful creators are in minority. As for the equally deluded proud southerners who believe that they will bring the north to heel, they need a serious reality check. Instead of thinking about how to break the vicious circle we have found ourselves in, people waste time dreaming up heroic scenarios that stem from misguided notion of nationalistic pride, instead of trying to act as humans and help those who are trapped in a Somali-made hell on earth.

My ranting is bordering the obnoxious by now and I could go on for quite some time. I am not a westernised girl who wants to disassociate herself from her roots. Being Somali isn’t all bad and I don’t think I would be anything else if given the choice. What bothers me is that for people who have so much potential and who have their faith to guide them, we have made such a mess of things and we are still at it. In a time when we should have been learning from mistakes made we are still making more. I, for one, want my children to have a secure sense of who they are. But by the rate we Somalis are going, that isn’t likely to happen and it angers me.

According to a diplomat involved with the peace agreements in Somalia the world “must think out of the box for Somaliaâ€. It seems that we appear to be a different breed calling for drastic and customized actions. The article itself is very informative, if somewhat condescending. It shows how we Somalis still have a long way to go to achieve normality. Why is it that when other people meet us we are the epitome of civilization, when we seem to be savages amongst each other?

With many back home having blood on their hands and many having been influenced by life abroad, how are we Somalis ever going to come to a common agreement? Will we have a country to be proud of within our life time? What is the ideal solution for our country and when will we find it, I can’t help but wonder.

If you have a better insight into how things will turn out according to you, please share.

*Do forgive me if I have gone a bit overboard with some of my descriptive words. Feel free to call me on it and correct me if you disagree with any points made.

What an admirable piece of writing, Dawaco! I can only say Masha-Allah. Thanx indeed for sharing your optimism with us.

First of all, I believe something will come out of the current calamities of our country. I see alot of changes taking place in Somalia. Those changes are the mixture of constructive and destructive ones. But if you look at the speed of the constructive progress that is underway now in our country, you find some tangible big hopes in your heart.

Our country is experiencing an unprecedented scale of Islamic educational progress. Everywhere in Somalia, the Quranic Madrasa are on the rise with the proper curriculam of teaching students the meanings of the Quran and the Sunnah. There are many people working in tha field of Dacwah to propagate Islam through educating people for understanding the essence of this world and the next. This is a great achievement that our country is embarking now.

Knowledge is very important, especialy the one we most often lack, i.e. Islam. Before the civil war, we had almost five or more adminstrations who haven't gained even one-third of what we acheived in the course of the war. That is Islam. In Somalia, Islam is only what the people need to have for governance and as law of the land. And in the will of Allah, that beloved period where all Somalis are but true brothers to each other is approaching rignt on the corner. Think about prior to the civil war, if we had the level of Islamic knowledge we've today (at least on the level of average people), would it be possible for us to undergo such major inflictions we'd gone through?

The second thing that can instill you with big hopes for the country is that our (internationaly zero standard economy) natinoal economy is growing more than ever with alot of self-dependancy and economic opportunities. Many places in Somalia are becoming financial centers for the eastern horn of Africa. That is a great attainment indeed. For instance, there are three countries in Africa that Somalis are doing well in businesses, Kenya, South Africa, and Uganda. Also, in Dubia Somalis are the leading Business Community after the Indians who have long business roots in the country. But the suprising thing with the somalis is their quick adoptation and the advancements of their talented business skills. Masha-Allah!

Thirdly, and above all, there is a wide-spread peace movements both inside and outside of the country where the majority of Somalis are realy serious this time to repent from the sins of the chronic tribalism deceases. Only its the formless warlords who are fueling and pushing hard to restore some of the previous calamities so as to maintain a full grip of their disintegrated zones. For instance, in Mogadishu, the Islamic courts are doing great for making sure that the voilence and the meaningless wars are totaly minimized.

The west and its christian friends in Addis Ababa are taking every neccesary step to tackle the influences of the our free soldiers, i.e. the Culumaa and Sheikhs. Thanks to Allah, we're now in a historic turning point where Somalis in Somalia are totaly grown from the deciets of the tribal elders and the old schemes of the warlords, that was to say (reer hebel ayaa cadow noo ah, and so forth).

Insha-Allah, sister Dawaco, keep in mind the words of Allah when he said that in every problem/hardships lies some relief, and the relief is already taking place in the form of tremedous changes in various aspects in our country. Here as well, there are some realizations among our people that Gaalo has offered no favor for sustaining our dignity and integrity, but added further complications for our injuries. That has greatly prompted many of us to reflect on our past and think for the future as nothing ahead but an opportunity and means to repent to Allah and reestablish some new ways to overcoming many problems.

Indeed, there is a solution, in which we are part of it insha-allah, and that is Islam, but I leave the timing for Allah, since we can't predict the future. But in an attempt to evaluate what the future holds for us by means of optimism, I can fully and strongly say that time for an absulate positive changes has come, and Islam as a lasting solution is the epicenter of that big change looming right around the corner.

This is a deep-felt expression of hope and optimism, which, I must admit, speaks to my heart.

Let me take even further and assert that Somalia’s dark days and its misery are coming to an end. That is not because of the result of the peace process in Nairobi, but because the Somali people are beginning to understand the heavy human cost of modern warfare. They are also beginning to discover the art of problem solving through ways other than violence and bloodshed. The days when pure nomadic pride and clannish arrogance used to cause endless warfare and fighting are over. The border conflict between Somaliland and Puntland is a prime example where full-blown hostility has been managed and perhaps prevented through mutual understanding of the far-reaching consequence of tribal warfare. As gloomy as it may seem, southern Somalia is experiencing less frequency of clan fighting today than it has been. And time, it seems, is making more converts than reason in the world of ********s in Mogadishu. Even in Kismayo, warlord-turned-minister is uttering words of piece and reconciliation.

Somalis seemed to finally value what they have in common. The lovely and interesting political activity in Puntland is case in point. Upcoming parliamentarian elections in Somaliland will as well be fascinating as it shows the level of political maturity in that community.

Salaamaat.

Deep, in every sense of the word. BUT, you're right. Generally speaking, Somalis are waking up and finding out that there are ways to solve issues, other than the use of guns. And Alle-ubaahne is right about the spread of Islam in Somalia post-1991. Every person I've talked to who has visited in the past 5 or so years seems to highlight the fact that Islamic education has taken on a wider role to fill the void scarred by years of turmoil and violence. Thanks for sharing tho.

Laba-X   

Salaam Dawaco!

What an outstanding piece of writing! You sure do have an admirable talent!

I second Alle-Ubaahne on propagating Islam in our country.

Since all of us speak more than one language and are highly qualified in our chosen fields, with the added bonus that we posses a great appreciation for a land of our own, how can we not succeed?

...Insha-Allah we will! A Long journey beings with a single step. We might accomplish something and divest ourselves of those ferocious, blood-thirsty scroundrels who despite annihilating half the population, still are operational. We might even regain some tranquility and equanimity in our native soil and once again cultivate maize, bananas, papaya and oranges like we used to. God willingly we might also become sagacious enough to reconcile and have a government that functions well without depending on someone's biased account. But the verity still remains that this Qabiil Syndrome will never secede us. Whether in or outside Somalia, Qabiil is the only thing that still withstands and rules. Untill and unless this is eradicated and stripped off our souls, untill we lose complete identity of who we are and where we come from, then and only then would we be able to form a stable govenrment ruled by Islamic judicial System. Insha-Allah!