Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Is it more of acase of more Culture than religion for us somalis?

One thing that keeps coming to my mind when I look at our folks is that there seems to be more of a bias to culture than religion in our community. We seem not to hold high esteem of our religion which is a whole way of life. When you look at all aspects of our community they are mostly based on culture than religion. We seem to remember religion when the going gets tough or when it suits us but when things are at per with what we want then its like in the back of our mind.

So I ask which is most important to you guys. Can we get an insight into what we really are and most likely believe more than the other?

juba   

i don't understand what your'e question is? could u make it a little clear?

if your question is what is more important culture or religion do you mean to us as individuals, to somalian community or to everyone? if its the first religion is defianently more important than culture to me anyway.

culture isn't going to help in you in the next life.

i actually think religion is way more the case in somalia than culture is. islam is incorprated in every acpect of somalian life. it is actually hard for me to seperate what is somalian culture and what is islam!

Simple brother.,...Do Somalis follow their culture than Islam? The reason for asking this is because, we seem to induldge in alot of bad things like killing each other and hating each other most times if not all the time lately. Good moslems tolerate each and most of all love their country men. We seem on the other hand to be doing on the contrary to the teachings of the Islamic religion. Alot of us try very had to be good moslims but still deep down there is alot of hypocricy hence the question is more of culture than religion.

Haddad   

Originally posted by QUANTUM LEAP:

Do Somalis follow their culture than Islam?

It would appear many follow culture. But, there are those in every family who follow religion. In the end, it depends on the individual, though the environment can have great influence in steering one towards either way.

Generally speaking, I don't think Somalis follow their culture or religion very well. They adhere to facinating legendary stories of their origins - some in Arabia while others were, at least by one account, imported from Cameroon.

I think they just follow names of dead old men who are useless by today's standards. Come to think of it, those men were useless in their day as well. The only thing they were good at is breeding..Like that's a major accomplishment!

Loooooool@wind....Man you just made me laugh esp. with the cameroon and dead ol' men who are good at breeding. Ahh well then we should put it this way. You reckon they should be middle of the road. Not so cultured and not so Islamic right? I just wanted to know the weight of their beliefs rather and from the looks of it, it looks like you saying its more culture

x_quizit   

leap...i agree with u completely..and its a q that has been plaguing me a long time ....most somalis put culture b4 deen and i've always wondered why....example...FGM...that is cultural not religion based....for some reason, they seem to hold their culture in higher esteem than religion, often disregarding the quran in favor of biased cultural views...and like u, i do believe religion is evoked when a loved one dies or they need help in personal matters....if somalis as a whole got together and unified through deen rather than clan and nationality first, half of our problems wouldn't have existed today...ie-civil war....

peace

QUANTUM -

The funny thing is, sxb, that Somalis are too diverse to try and categorize them into the two strict sections. You'll find a man of religion who'll still get mad when his fav politician is dissed or his clan is mentioned in a negative way. I'd we're mostly influenced by the culture we created around ourselves. But that also applies to all the other Muslims. If we truly and fully adhered to the Islamic faith and followed its heavenly instructions, then we wouldn't be in the current global quagmire we're in right now. Somalia, Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Palestine, Algeria, Chechnya, Bosnia, western China, I'd go on but my fingers are gonna get tired. BTW, those are all the Muslims lands that are currently engulfed in wars. Peace.

I have to agree with Juba on this one. Our culture is mainly based on our religion....you can't seperate the two

Xquisit...i get what you are saying but you are only pointing the negative aspects. What about respecting the elders? Surely, that is linked to the religion. That was just one example...as you are aware there are many other things in our culture that is linked to the religion.

Interesting how we tend to use religion only when it suits us like for example when you are ill, disabled in some way or in a crisis. It’s true that we tend to group all Somalis in one group of culturally biased people but I would bet that almost 80% are. A simple example is the differences in political opinions and how even sheikhs become political when they should be teaching people who to be good and ofcouse love each other as human beings. You would find a wadaad who condemns others while he is far too busy going around marrying daughters of religious families by preaching how its wajiib to marry and be good to your husband and we talking 4 wives here when he cant afford to even maintain them.

Simply sis I do disagree with you whole heartedly. Reason being the Somali culture is nowhere near the Islamic way of life. We tend to treat people according to their color clan and possibly region. We are racists by nature and anything that we don’t understand is basically bad even if we got no idea what or why.

As Moslems we have to be able to tolerate and live in peace. When it comes to the seduction game all one needs is to know what your clan is to either include you or exclude you from anything happening in terms of relationships. Most people are grouped along the lines of Clans when they should be grouped in terms of interest and ideals. Check the politics section. It says more about us and what we strive for even when educated.

... :D

Paragon   

If I were to be honest and not a hypocrite man, I'd swear that we have no will for religion but culture. Unless we reach a position of honesty and self-criticism about our religiosity, there is no hope for faith but for a fight. Currently as it stands, religion is our vehecle, we travel on it expediantly.

Simply I would say your mom is pretty smart and ofcouse your input is worthy this discussion as different opinion and view points are what a debate is all about. Its the difference in opinions that makes it pretty much spicy and get us talking and thinking.

J11- True to acertain extent and boy is it aslow vehicle too smile.gif

^^in kastoo aad isku dayday inaad ii fasirto fikradaada....weli waxaan ku madax adeegayaa in soomalida dhaqankooda iyo diintooda la kala gooyni karin. Laakiin ani wexey ila tahay arrintaan wexey ku xiran tahay familada. midka ey u arkaan muhiim inuu yahay (dhaqanka ama diinta) midkeey taageerayaan un bey ciyaalkoodana ku kori nayaan.

sidaad u sheegeysit hadii ey tahay....dhibaato weyn baa markaas na haysato soo ma'aha?

su'aal kale.....sidee baan uuga dhigi karnaa diinta more important than the culture?

Charisma   

Intresting topic.

One thing i came to realize as i grew up is the fact that somalis do value their culture even if the religion is against it, n after the indians we r( i think)the second nation when it comes to following our culture(its not bad all the time)no matter how shaloow it is.

But the problem is that even if somalis get education n all , they r not ready to accept certyain changes.

Exmaples

FGM

Especially for the gals the tribe of ur future husband can make u loss ur family if u r not too careful.

well the list is too long, but these two i hope we can change them one day really soonnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

peace.