Sign in to follow this  
Charisma

Khat fertility

Charisma   

Salaam to everyone,

To all khat/miraa chewers n their families n the rest of somali ppl, r u aware of the consequences of the long term consumtion(chewing )of khat!

It had been investigated n results came out the khat reduces the fertility of especially MEN , although that of women could be affected directly or indirectly.

As for the women,the most hazardeous effect on them is the effect on the fetuses if those women are chewing when they are pregnant and the same goes for nursing mothers becos it comes into the mothers' milk!

so guys really believe that when they chew they become more relaxed n infact more romantic, so i wonder how this romance will be achieved if he is wasting his most important weapon for being romantic n so on :confused: .

so here ppl ,wt do u think ? n especially to those who chew , wt are ur answers to this :confused: :confused:

Charisma   

really is that a somali talk or its based on science , coz science says other wise.

if u r serious send me the article or where ever that u had seen it.

Viking   

Khat drug may improve male fertility

13:43 29 June 04

NewScientist.com news service

A plant banned as an illegal drug in some countries could help boost men’s fertility, say UK researchers.

The leaves of khat, a plant cultivated in East Africa and the Arabian peninsula, contain a chemical that peps up sperm and increase their chances of fertilizing an egg. The researchers suggest the chemical could one day be produced as an over-the-counter treatment for couples experiencing problems conceiving.

Khat (Catha edulis) has been known for centuries for the euphoria its leaves induce when chewed. The stimulant, cathinone, is not very stable and breaks down to produce cathine and norephedrine. These belong to a group of chemicals called PPAs, which are similar to amphetamines and adrenaline.

Lynn Fraser and her team at the Centre for Reproduction, Endocrinology and Diabetes at King’s College in London, UK, decided to test the effects of PPAs on sperm. They were studying the final stage of sperm development called capacitation, where sperm "switch on" and develop the ability to fertilise an egg.

Accelerated effect

The team placed mouse sperm in four different PPA compounds: cathine, norephedrine, adrenaline and noradrenaline and tested to see how they affected capacitation. All four accelerated capacitation even at low concentrations.

The team also tested the effects of cathine on human sperm, with similar results. This means that cathine can pep up a man’s sperm, increasing the number able to fertilise an egg.

The team then tested the effects of PPAs on the final stage of capacitation where the sperm’s head pops open and releases the enzymes it needs to burrow into the egg.

This "acrosome reaction" is triggered by chemicals produced by the egg, but can also happen spontaneously. Fraser’s team found that cathine prevented this spontaneous reaction, but did not affect the reaction prompted by the egg.

So cathine can both turn sperm on and stop them peaking too early, maximising the chances of fertilisation. But Fraser says: “I certainly wouldn’t advocate anyone going out and chewing khat leaves.†A consistent, measured dose, as would be found in a commercially-prepared drug, would be preferable, she says.

Undiagnosed problems

Many men experiencing fertility problems have normal sperm counts. The cause may be undiagnosed problems with sperm function, explained Fraser, but no-one knows how prevalent this problem is. A drug based on cathine might help.

“We are not suggesting that this would be a panacea for infertile couples,†she told New Scientist. However, couples trying to conceive often take steps to improve their chances by altering their lifestyles, such as stopping smoking, she added.

Taking an over-the-counter drug containing compounds such as cathine could just be an extension of this, especially if conception were taking longer than expected. “Anything that reduces the need to go for assisted reproduction would be valuable,†said Fraser.

The research was presented on Monday at the 20th conference of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology in Berlin, Germany.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996086

Diamante   

looooool...don't wanna spoil anything but i think u just gave our men a reason to start chewing charisma if they didnt do so before :D

neva mind fertility tho, its a disgusting habit and they shouldnt do it anyhow, whether it boosts their egg production or not. all that chewing and spitting can give any woman a nervous break down without starting about the marqaanimo bit

Charisma   

viking

WHO banned khat in 1980, classifying it as adrug with the potential to produce psychic dependence.

khat consumtion affects the potency of male sexuality by affecting spermatogenesis and plasma testosterone concentration.

also a reseach that was conducted by the united nations narcotics laboratory in 1975 indicated that one of the constituens in the khat specially the one the grows in kenya has a high concentration of cathinone ,wc can cause bladder problems(especially in men) among other things.

need i say more here, we know that khat wc is taken daily to somalia is from meru,kenya. :(

Kool_Kat   

Did you say a research that was done in 1975?

We're in 2004 now...That was almost 30yrs ago...

I wonder how many researchs have been done since 1975, that suggest otherwise...

even if it does all of the above, its still leaves people,

Its like eating and chewing grass, its tasteless, it does not deprive hunger, what it doess is takes out to the dreams of un-imagined world, i for one will never eat it even if that means my doom

juba   

khat should not be consumed anyway wether its causes fertility or not. its disgusting, and only makes you forget your troubles for a while.

now this the q's that i have about this plant! have u ever noticed the group that chew this stuff!

how come they fight each other 24/7! aint that sign of mental problems due to it!! :confused:

Charisma   

first of all let me say eid mubarak though its a bit early.

for kool_kat u know in medicine or anything relating to health care of the humans its usually based on researches, ppl just did not wake up n found the effective n harmfull substances, but rather it took many yrs. n when i mentioned that research in 1975 is to let everyone know that ppl found out this issue long time ago, am sure that new researches are being done. never the less khat is still harmfull.

it destroys men n their families, when i say thsi am talking about the regular chewers.

there is a man we know who kept on chewing 24/7 till he an erosion tok all his teeth n is only having a tongue that lost all its sensations that even if u give him ACID he will not know.

salaam.

Chat is very big problem and it is affecting Somali society in so many ways…. First, for those chewing,,, it makes them mentally ill… all they think about is how they would get a little peace for just 2night and start all over tomorrow.. They forget their families and spend the whole money on Chat… If they don’t have the money they would kill for someone…â€Remember the Somali girl killed in Minneapolis last WeeK’’’..

Second of all…. This Chat,, is driving Somalia crazy… I don’t know if you guy realized but everyday about $100K leaves from Somalia to either Kenya or to Ethiopia….. that money can build a whole nation,,, but we never think about it….Also, the days that no Chat arrives in Somalia is the day more people die… for instance, if there is Chat today,, all those animals that chew chat will sit down somewhere after few hours of it is arrival… But if there is no Chat,,, they become Wild animal from the forest… there are more killings and more raping…

To say it all,,,,,,,,,, I believe Chat is one little **** evil sent from hell…. And it will take years to come to find a solution for it…