Sign in to follow this  
raula

Medical/Public health interventions

raula   

ina adeer(LST)mucho grasias :D yes-caaqil my prognosis says that you are mild-betacarotene deficient(looooool..kidding :D )

Raula

Good paper mashallah . Got some qn in that field will address later Inshallah.Just read this link by chance.

Regarding the issues of diseases seen in somalis Tb is the most common disease as Raula said its latent. Once the host's immunity system decreases TB becomes a systemic disease known as disseminated Tb and spreads all over the body and can infect various areas. I have met somalis who have had Potts disease - Tb of the vertebral column and normal Chest Tb. And the majority of them where Khat chewers. Which can be explained by they had poor nutrition and were underweight thus giving a chance the bacteria to infect their bodies.

Got to go for now.

raula   

^^^insha-allah sis..will be waiting for you come-back. CAAQIL-that wont happen to be you, would it?(kidding). Yeah the publications/research is impressive not to say VAST in international medicine. THx for the link.

raula   

VIKING-because the parasite attacks the RBC (red blood cells) and results in sickling of the cells, and consequent damage to the cell membrane (where voltage gated ion gates- potassium and sodium that keep intracellular/extracellular fluids of the cell in balance are located) makes way for the leakage of potassium ions (create an imbalance of the ion balance of the cell-hence LETHAL to the parasite’s existence)---therefore it seems PLAUSIBLE to conclude that sickle cell trait has some protection against MALARIA. Hence, those with the sickle cell allele (or trait) – HETEROZYGOUS ADVANTAGE -have up to 70-80% protection against malaria (a cohort study done in Asembo bay in Kenya).

On the other hand (my suspicions precisely) -individuals with the sickle-cell trait indeed have some protection from the malignant parasite (Plasmodium). However, the complications from the inheriting the trait far outweighs the protection. Some common complication are Hematuria (blood in urine), and some slightly increased kidney infections (bleeding from the kidneys is especially seen in patients with severe sickle cell complications). Some potential hazards also for individuals that are in the air force and those who undertake super strenuous activities.

almost forgot to add that if both couple(or two parents to be are carrying the traits) then they may have an offspring with the sickle cell disease-and such as above complications might be be present and even turn severe.

cheers!

raula   

Q-w/regard to EPIDEMIOLOGICAL mechanisms plausible in SOMALIA.

What are some plausible interventions for combating AIDS that could be successfully implemented in Somalia? (crude statistics show that somalia has had some flares of the epidemic-its only that crude/lack of medical/public health infrastructures that are not in place due to non-existent central government, to determine precise current statistical figures(and ofcourse-there is no 100% precision data in even the most developed country :rolleyes: )

*(caution: keep in mind religious and cultural aspects that might intefere with such 'proposed' interventions).

looking forward to your inputs!

raula   

Some information regarding the Health and Healing practices/benefits of RAMADAN; and Islam & AIDS.

Medical aspects of Islamic fasting- Dr Shahid Athar :-

http://www.crescentlife.com/spirituality/medical_aspects_of_islamic_fasting.htm

Medical benefits of Taraweeh prayers- Dr Ibrahim B. Syed :-http://www.crescentlife.com/spirituality/medical_benefits_of_tarawih.htm

Muslim,Islam & AIDS-By Amina Wudud http://www.crescentlife.com/wellness/muslims,_islam_and_aids.htmIslam

I found this quote quite interesting-coming from a theologist point of view as well as true Muslim-JZK.

HIV/AIDS and Sexuality in Islam

With regard to the 80% heterosexual women who contract AIDS in monogamous relations, a direct look at Islam and sexuality is called for. According to Shari’ah if a Muslim man desires intercourse with his wife, she must comply. If she does not, she is guilty of nushuz, recalcitrance. A wife who is nashizah is no longer eligible for nafaqah: maintenance or financial support. In addition, in various degrees of interpretation and application, the Qur’an asserts that the husband of such a woman may beat her. In the face of this, the vast majority of Muslim wives, those with gentle husbands, husbands of polygyny: open or secret, husbands of violence and abuse, upright husbands of moral standing and husbands of AIDS, open their legs to their men as they are not only expected, but commanded to do by that which is most popularly understood as “Islamâ€. Women turn towards men who have contracted AIDS and open their legs to their own death and destruction. It matters little if the men have contracted AIDS by either legal and moral or illegal and immoral means. By legal and moral means, I refer to the husband who has contracted AIDS by marrying younger more sexually virile women as confirmation of their masculine sexuality and then turn to the demure and compliant wife of longer standing. In turn, she may then give birth to or infect at birth their innocent child. The consequences for the muhsinat and qaanitat are the same: they will die because they are “goodâ€. How does a statement, “la taqrabuna ‘l-zina†apply to them? How does “Islam†resolve this problem?

can read more on the above link.

Ramadan Mubarak!

At the 10th International AIDS Conference in Yokohama (August 1994), Dr. Yuichi Shiokawa claimed that AIDS would be brought under control only if Africans restrained their sexual cravings. Professor Nathan Clumeck of the Université Libre in Brussels was skeptical that Africans will ever do so. In an interview with Le Monde, Clumeck claimed that "sex, love, and disease do not mean the same thing to Africans as they do to West Europeans [because] the notion of guilt doesn't exist in the same way as it does in the Judeo-Christian culture of the West." Thus, AIDS "educators" counter "shame" in African sexuality through conservative appeals to restraint, empowerment, negotiating safe sex and a near evangelical insistence on condom use.(20)

Racist myths about the sexual excesses of Africans are old indeed. Early European travelers returned from the continent with tales of black men performing carnal feats with unbridled athleticism, with black women who were themselves sexually insatiable. These affronts to Victorian sensibilities were cited, alongside tribal conflicts and other "uncivilized" behavior, as justification for colonial social control.

:eek:

If only the Africans weren't so uncivilized...

raula   

SisSade-have you read about Peter Duesberg??-He claims that HIV does not lead to/cause AIDS-this argument has been going on now for quite some time from both the Supporters of AIDS research and opponents of it. Here is an link to his site http://www.duesberg.com/-at some point..the president of S. Africa (Thabo Mbeki) supported the idea till when he got too much criticism directed towards him-mind you, S. Africa having one of the worlds highest prevalences/incidences of AIDS cases in the world.

Very insightful article indeed-I just skimmed thru' but insha-allah will read later.

The AIDS disease is indeed BIZZARE its the sense that when reading about its ORIGINS-"SCIENTISTS" :rolleyes: associate to African chimpanzees-yet there is another story that it stem from KAPOSI SARCOMA-which was first seen in GAY MEN(hence the term GRID-GAY RELATED INFECTIOUS DISEASE)-Its very confusing :confused:

Anectode: Yesterday I asked my public health professor(@ my AIDS Class)regarding the ABOVE Q(the conflicting AIDS origins)-and he gave me some mambo Jambo connections of immune system suppression and hence KAPOSI's (kinda like LESIONS) starting to appear in african patients with the INFECTION(HIV)...in relation to KAPOSI's in GAY male or American populations. Didn't quite understand coz I was super hungry..but next wednesday--you bet I am bombarding him with my theories ;):Dicon_razz.gif

Thx again dada. Ramadani njema.

raula   

Caution: this views are not generalized to all colored populations in the USA-just some tips from some MINNESOTAN AIDS minority educators.

NB: Minnesota is TOP in AIDS programs and interventions :D

Since the pandemic dispropotinately affects the african American and Hispanic communities-some African American churches have made some noise. Suprisingly, thier messages are along the lines of "ABSITENCE IS THE BEST TOOL" (which I have no reason to disagree with). The black churches' participation in such interventions was initiated by the fact that ethnically, many African-Americans have strong ties to the church(the church is a central aspect of thier lifes-whether they are westernized,marginalized or diffused to other cultures). Indeed, there was uproar from church-goers and conservative catholic blacks; since they perceive the CHURCH to be a MORAL LEADER (and the stigma that lies strickly within AID as being a GAY-MAN phenomena..or SEXUAL IMMORALITY=promiscuos sexual tendancies), they dont not expect churches should get involved in this issues. BUT WHO WILL TAKE THE BURDEN, WHEN THE PANDEMIC IS WIPING OUT OUR PEOPLE (AFRICAN_AMERICANS & AFRICANS) within seconds? Are they gonna just stare and expect govt. to do something about it?

The Hispanics are even less behind superseding this epidemic-many have just began to recognize and realize that this is not a GAY-MAN's disease but also exceedingly surpassing in heterosexual relationships. They have identified some cultural/language/ethnic/ obstacles that prevents them(educators) from intervening or implementing effective interventions.

I wonder how will the somalis handle this-although in low numbers now(with crude data)..wat happens if the charts suddently start to rise exponentially :confused:

lastly: did you know that every 2 secs one dies from AIDS :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek:

I cringe and feel horribel everytime I think about Aids and Africa. How many pple has it wiped out? How many pple are living with it in the millions?

I was at a women's health class where the instructur was talking about how the decision on which drug research is funded is made. And it made me sick walahi. She said the only reason there are "some" research into a cure for AIDs is because it affected the WHITE MALEs (although homosexuals) in AMERICA around the 60s/70s.

IF it started in Africa..you best be sure that no one would give a DAMN. Drug research does not go into how many pple are affected by this disease..but WHO does it affect...AND is it WORTH IT TO RESEARCH..i.e..PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT.

I knew about all this..how cruel pple can be for the sake of money and their prejudices..but was sickening to learn about in in such detail. :(

:mad: :mad:

It is disheartening to see that bias still influences the decision and necessity to intervene or cause development in treatment for all. We are unfortunate to be born the -'darker race'.

Im currently reading a novel(My Public Health prof. lent it to me after we were discussing AIDS in Africa) written by an Irish writer set back in the early ninties -1992 she singlehandedly cycled thru Africa from Kenya to Zimbabwe and gave her raport on what she encountered unbiased. Coincidently the route she choose was known as the 'Ukimwi'(Swahili 'for the wasting disease' ie. HIV) road. I havent finished it yet but so far I can agree with the writer myself being born and raised in africa and my interactions with members of the african community. That its almost a true depiction of : africans mentality(The so called -Mzungu(european) idea comes first, tracing back to colonial times where individual thought was repressed and only what the colonist ordered was done.), our standard of living, the poverty, tribalism, politics at that time -(Eg. At that time Kenyans were preparing for the elections, alot of clashes between tribes, trouble in Uganda with the rebels..).

She also did extra homework by adding quotations and excerpts from books regarding the areas or thoughts she met during her journey which are very educational.

You also get the chance to experience the natural beauty of Africas wilderness and places through her words.Eg. Source of Lake victoria....

The book is Titled : The Ukimwi Road- From Kenya to Zimbabwe.

Author: Dervla Murphy

If you can get your hands on it you will not regret the experience.