Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Are Mosques really sister-friendly?

By Feebaro

I personally disagree with D.A and her contradicting arguments. And for does of you who fellow her footsteps, ya betta watch out cause y’all playing silly and dangerous game. Don’t just argue about things that you are not educated for.

From the sound of things feerabo is the educated one here out of all of you.

What does DA's education about the subject have to do with anything that is being discussed here???

It sounds to me that you have a grudge against her, direct/indirectly, whatever the case might be, no need to throw weak punches at pple.(just come out straight)

Actually the brother was telling me that msoques are basically men's club because of a hadith that states you got extra ajar for praying at home. I asked him to give me a directive from the Koran, as every good muslim should ask and he didn't respond back. I don't take knowledge from heresay on the net, brother. That's just not logical.

DA, sorry to say but i dont recalling coming across this! QadarAllah wa ma sha Fa'al

Needless to say here is the Hadith, mind you i never said it was a Quraanic ayat: assuming you accept hadiths!!!!

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi

reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you"

(Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)

Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) .

He said: " Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Ps.

But then again, not everyone is a Salafi!

I will ignore this inshallah!

Please do not allow emotions to derail what is a valid discussion! Especially irrelevant ones about politics and arrogance. Maybe the two gentlemen should step outside and we could take bets. :)

There is nothing special about a woman's rights but she does have some just as men do. To even discuss a woman's rights given to her by Islam seems to bring on a foaming at the mouth. Why is this? Is feminism so entrenched in our minds? Does every opinion a woman has have to be linked to this movement?

During the Prophet's(pbuh) time, everyone prayed in one single space. If this were practised now, it wouldn't matter which gender outnumbered which. All would be accommodated somehow and the women would be aware of the goings-on of the community and would be more praticipatory.

Imagine passing by a mosque and wishing to stop for prayer or contemplation and being barred. This is not Islam and yet it is prevalent in many cultures. If the men were turned away from mosques, they would be outraged and yet such outrage is denied us. Every deterioration of a people begins with the loss of the most basic human rights.

The women need to take a more pro-active role in the communities. Of course, they will be shushed.

For those whom I have bored, irritated or offended, step outside. The fist-fight will provide some welcome relief no doubt.

NGONGE   

lol@^^^^

The women need to take a more pro-active role in the communities. Of course, they will be shushed.

Priceless.

I actually couldn’t be asked to read all the replies posted, but I must admit that this is the sort of debate and discussion we need in SOL. It is mind challenging and interesting, so thank you DA.

Secondly, I was extremely surprised by the NY Times to feature such an article. I personally cannot tolerate the Murdock Press as they seem to find irrational answers to the issues and the problems we face in today’s world. However, having said that it is not the article that is on trial, but its substance. Yes, there are some problems here and as Muslims we need to collectively resolve these outstanding issues in a satisfactory manner among ourselves. The NY Times can be accused of opportunism and using the current climate of Islamaphobia to its advantage by reinforcing these existing stereotypes about this great religion. Let’s face it, the readers of this broadsheet news paper are likely to be conservative and Evangelical Christians who HATE Muslims anyway.

An important factor that the author conveniently forgot to mention is that all the religions are associated with patriarchal traces justified by mid-evil myths. I am not one to bash other faiths but Christianity seems to be the worst of all. Women in there have no role in society as ‘they should be seen and not heard’. When a woman is married she takes the name of the husband and proper inheritance laws have been enforced only during the last 30 years, something that Muslim women have always enjoyed. Judaism itself practises the separation of the sexes during prayer.

Any of the deviations of the Holy Quran that appears in modern society is subject to cultural interpretation rather than a religious regulation. No verse in the holy Quran says that a woman cannot drive a car for example or be a prominent member of a mosque board.

Going back to your question DA, I do agree that there is a lack of women’s involvement in many aspects of the religion purely because of the dominance of patriarchal ideologies in societies they live in. I think it is absolutely crucial to distinguish from what is regarded as culture (habits customs and societal ethics of particular habitants) and Islam, the faith and the word of Allah (SWT).

Finally, even though the article itself is extremely flawed it does demonstrate that changes are happening and I do not think we should give up. Islam is under attack and it is up to us the educated individuals to defend our morals and strengthen our stance in the world. We should abstain from personal humiliation such as the current style of dialogue present in the nomad’s tone of speech and it is important to respect each others opinions and refer to the Holy Book for any facts.

Peace and Love,

Tuujiye   

Nefertit, I agree with you 100%. I wish all the sisters could understand this like you and sister Aamina have.

Wareer badanaa

Originally posted by Ad-deena- naseeXa:

Needless to say here is the Hadith, mind you i never said it was a Quraanic ayat:
assuming you accept hadiths!!!!

I accept hadiths that support a verse in the Koran.

Nefertiti,

Just because there is a war on Islam does not mean we can't talk about the problems in our community. My sister did not go to the local mosque this friday because that's how uncomfortable she was with the place. I think that is sad personally.

I accept hadiths that support a verse in the Koran.

DA

if the hadith does not support a verse in the Koran do you reject it? an example would be stoning the fornicators and among others!

If its not in the Koran, then I look for the another hadith that does support, otherwise I'm not obligated to follow it. There is only one infallible book in the world, get where this is going?

DA without the Sunnah the Quran is of no use!

the Quran needs the sunnah more then the sunnah needs the Quran, Allah said:

"We have sent down unto you (O Muhammad SAW) the reminder and the advice (the Qur'ân), that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them, and that they may give thought."16:44

We need the explanations of the Quran! and the sunnah explains the Quran, Also some of the Verse in the Quran are Abrogated by the messenger of Allah(saw), and the messenger of Allah(saw) does not speak from his own desires! but its a form of revelations! as Allah said:

"And if he (Muhammad SAW) had forged a false saying concerning Us (Allâh swt), We surely should have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might), And then certainly should have cut off his life artery (Aorta), And none of you could withhold Us from (punishing) him" (69:44-47)

so there are two infablibale source, the Quran and the authentic(sahih) Sunnah of the messenger of Allah(saaw)! if a Sahih hadith contradicts the Quran then the Sunnah takes precedence, Because that means Allah abrograted that verse with the tongue of his messenger(saw) ie stoning the fornicators, in the quran its lashing the fornicators!

would you reject the stoning of the fornicators..since its lashing in the quran?

Originally posted by Ahlul hadith:

DA without the Sunnah the Quran is of no use!

the Quran needs the sunnah more then the sunnah needs the Quran

[/qb]

so there are two infablibale source, the Quran and the authentic(sahih) Sunnah of the messenger of Allah(saaw)!

if a Sahih hadith contradicts the Quran then the Sunnah takes precedence,[/QB]

WOW.

This is the first time I've heard this.

And I'm not an Ahlu-Hadith, I'm more of a direct to the source Ahlu-Koran type of girl.

Thanks for sharing your info thou.

Gediid   

Having lived in Asia I have seen or heard of a million different madhabs that Muslims follow of which few in my honest opinion can seriously be considered Islamic.One of those many madhabs is the Ahlu Sunnah or Ahlu Hadith as they are more commonly known.I dont know if Ahle hadith subscribes to that but from the look of his posts I think he might or might have studied among them.Their madhab revolves around the simple notion that the Prophet's hadiths saaxiih or otherwise have precedence over the holy Quran.A fact they miss tho is that Allah picked Nabi Muhammed(ASW) to pass his message to the people in the form of the Quran and not the other way round.I know as a Muslim our guide in life is the holy Quran first and foremost.It takes precedence over every holy scripture out there.Next in line is the hadith of our holy prophet Muhammed (ASW).To imply otherwise I think is tantamount Blasphemy.

Gediid,

Thanx for clarifying that very confusing post. Uhm, I always thought that the unchanged word of God was more important than any other book(s).

Hey, to each his own, as they say!

OG_Girl   

originally posted by Divel's Advocate:

And I'm not an Ahlu-Hadith, I'm more of a direct to the source Ahlu-Koran type of girl.

LooL, I agree with you on that.

There is NO requirement in Islam to believe in Sahih Bukhari, Muslim etc.

We all know ONLY Quraan is protected from Allah NOT Hadeeths , there is a lot of fabricated hadeths in sahih Al Bukhari and Muslim and others as well.

Salam