Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Going Home!

NGONGE   

For over a decade now many Somalis have been talking about going home and rebuilding the country. Few brave souls did, but the majority are still here (outside Somalia – I hate using the term “Diaspora”) and are still talking about going home! Is this dream ever going to be fulfilled? Is it a realistic aim to have? How will most people cope when they finally do go home?

My personal view is that not many of us will be going home. I believe that like many of those before us, who moved to the Arab world or the seamen that worked in the West in the early parts of the last century and spent all their lives in foreign lands, we too are not likely to go home. Furthermore, I believe that if by some miracle we do manage to go home, we will find it very hard to fit in!

In light of my above assumptions, do you think it’s time we stopped having these dreams and attempted to make the best with what we have?

I’m not sure if this topic has been discussed already. If it has then I’d appreciate it if someone posts a link to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

We are the diaspora, eventhough u hate to say it, but we are, and so as the ones who left even before the wars to arabia and so forth.

The dream of going back, should not be the barrier for someone not to live their life in a foreign land, now being their home, whether permanent or temporary.You should always make something of yourself, no matter where u are, for if u don't, u cheat yourself out of 'life'(whatever life might be to you).

Question, why do u hate using the word diaspora?

NGONGE   

^^^I dislike that word because of its original meaning. It refers to the exiled Jews from Israel in the sixth century BC. Later on it was used to refer to any group of people who were dispersed from their original lands. But, even now, for the most part, it’s still associated strongly with the Jews living outside Israel. :mad:

Anyway, back to our topic...

that is interesting, about the word, on where it came from. because also now it has everything to do with the africans, from the caribeans, to the africans like us, who leave far from home, wether driven awaydue to country's turmoil, or just personal choice, etc.

So if the word, has everything to do withthe jews spreading, could it have been that during that period, something like this was the first thing to happen, and in doing so, he proclaimation of the word, becomes the forebearer to the rest of the societies?

and another thing, if a word like this is taken a back to those eras, how about our daily words that we use everyday, in a sense it will make an english language full of hatred, for us who are non caucasian, don't u think? sorry,went away from the topic. o back to the topic people,haha.

NGONGE   

Heh. I see what you did there! Ok, lets follow your line of argument regarding the use of other “English” words. Would you feel comfortable with the word Niggér? How about swear words? Surely there are words that you wouldn’t feel comfortable with in the English language. If someone sneezed in front of you would you use the words “Bless you”? I could go on and on with lots of examples of words that although exist in the English language, you and I would not feel comfortable using them. There are alternatives to these words. The word Diaspora like I already said is strongly associated with the Jews. The scattering of the Jews from their original lands is at times attributed to god’s anger with them (this is the Jewish interpretation hence my use of the word God here). You might argue that the same might apply to the Somalis and other people who left their lands, but I would still not want to be compared to the Jews when it comes to experiencing a divine wrath.

Anyway, back to the topic...you didn't tell me if you were planning to go home or not! icon_razz.gif

Jumatatu   

Going back home...sweet home. It is an ideal idea and benefitial sxb...but a far fetched one. I remember someone saying "we did not come to Plymouth..Plymouth landed on us" or something like it if am not wrong. My notion here is unlike the seaman and those who went to settle in Khalijka for personal reasons..the rest of the Somalis, infact the majority, were forced to exile(note am not using "Diaspora”) by circumstances not their doing.And however we try to disguise it those circumstances still exists. Yes and I think many will agree with me that we would love to go and make the sacrifice but at this actual moment and foreseeable future it is not possible.

Which brings me to :

In light of my above assumptions, do you think it’s time we stopped having these dreams and attempted to make the best with what we have?

I could not agree more... and in the presence and future we could only be usefull if we first establish ourselves as a society and a community living abroad.

NGONGE   

"we did not come to Plymouth..Plymouth landed on us"

That was Al Hajj Malik Al Shabaz (or Malcolm X). It’s ironic that you actually used that line. He was talking about using the bullet or the ballet! In that speech he was talking about either being allowed to fully take part in American society or fighting for that right. He was also talking about going HOME to Africa! However, in saying that line he was illustrating the fact that the African Americans did not immigrate to that continent but were brought there “Plymouth Rock landed on US”.

Back to the topic...

Ngonge, it is not that i was arguing with you with the word 'diaspora', but it is just curiosity, and wanting to know more.and thankyou for ur input.i shall not go back to that, for the topic must go on.

I am planing on going back home, to the usage f what i said before. by living abroad, i do not ignore what it is waited for me, and at the same time, am putting the dream of heading back home, into play. And inshallah, by the ways of Allah, if i am meant to touch the earth of the land then i shall, and if not my life will still be continuing.

Blessed   

I haven't been back home since, I was a kid. So, in my brain I've pitched this dreamy image of Somalia. I have a feeling that it would take me a long time to adapt to their ‘ in your face, in your business and your bag’ attitude but the thought of being in my *own, is quiet inviting.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of jobs there. If I had the financial means to live in Somalia, I would. There’s also the issue of the poor health system and education… but if we don’t go back – who will fix it?

And, I think that is the case with most ethnic minorities in England -am always having this conversation with Jamaican colleague, who hates Englan* but has been here since the 60's. Only going back to her country (which she loves) once a year.

Then, you think of all these British people, who are moving out of England because of the stressful / expensive life style. Maybe we, the Somalis just aren't determined enough. In any case, I won't decide until I see and evaluate the situation for my self. Pray, I won’t be disappointed…...

^^ if all goes well Insha-Allah I shall be leaving next month...I'll be sure to send you a report of my findings there tweety

*sighs* going back home is a dream I've had ever since I can remember. I want to go to a place where I'm the MAJORITY DARN IT!!! :mad:

You hear ppl saying I'll go back when it’s peaceful and according to this one teenager "when they have coco pops."

If we are not willing to make any sacrifices and aren't willing to rebuild our own country...who will? Ppl can't expect Somalia to get better by just sitting in their houses and twiddling their thumbs...it doesn't work like that.

Is the dream ever going to be fulfilled?

Of course this all depends on how much you want it.

Is it a realistic aim to have?

Yep

How will most ppl cope when they finally do go home?

Like tweety said "a dreamy image of Somalia" is what I too have in my head...but I know the Somalia I knew as a toddler isn't the Somalia there is now...but I am willing to go back home (since I've used and abused the European educational system icon_razz.gif ) and help benefit my ppl. Insha-Allah if all goes well, I shall be moving back home within a few yrs.

As for fitting in…all my sister in here who wear the hijaab/abayad know how hard it is to “fit in”. The weird stares when walking down the street…ppl claiming you are being oppressed and shaking their head in pity…little kids pointing at you…not mentioning all the racial slurs not only from the white ppl, but from Asians and other Africans…to that walaalkis, I say…maxaa ii wareereye...

Salaama Alaikum

NGONGE   

Some would argue that living in the West and sending hard currency home is a bigger sacrifice than leaving the comfort of your living room and your Coco Pops, QCH. Still, good luck with your journey. Hope you’re not too disappointed. Enjoy.

from my experiences ngonge...ppl back home mostly think money grows on trees...I've had one relatives pretending he was kidnapped...another sayin his kids were extremely sick and he had hospital bills to pay when in fact he wanted money to buy some land...lol excuse me if i'm a little skeptical about sending money home, suddenly i'm gettin ppl calling sayin they are my cousin twice removed on my mothers side...*doesn't know what it means*

Salaama alaikum

Sister, best of luck on your journey.

one pointer is, keep an open mind, for u don't know what to expect.

Another thing, Ngonge, the issue of sending back money, when you go there, and see how it is, then u the sender have a different view of firstly who the people u are dealing with and the environment and the whole socio-analysis of the surroundings etc etc.

I mean, we learn from travelling. Even if we don't end up leaving there, the exposure to a certain lifestyle, and the experience you get from it, helps everyone to understand more about life. and this is when you look at your personal life, and see what we take for granted there are others who can't even imagine it in their creativity of the mind.