Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Standards ethics of discussion

postman   

Samurai Warrior,

How are the public schools in England?

Sophist,

I have had only four hours of sleep for the past two days. Plus I just came out of an oral exam, on St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas’ notion of “Jus Ad Bellum”. I think the examiners liked the Islamic perspective that I shared with them. Anyway going to bed.

Peace

oh my god,

:eek: dude we don't live in the 17th centenury any more. so you need to stop talkin' like that. honestly do you talk like that when you are out. or is this the way you talk on the net so that you could look intelligent. i think that you use the dictionary when you are writing.

in all anybody that read your writing would fall asleep.

so in all get a life :D:D:D

postman   

Somali-girl,

What is with the crusade? Let the man speak. Surely you don't see us complaining about your bad grammar and those hideous smiles.

Postman – my dear boy, public school in England I hear is doing quite all right though my young brother keeps telling me the sta^e of is i^ rather appalling, inn’t it mate! (note the cockney flip at the end). Nonetheless, it is a^righ.

Reading law, are you mate? I gave up on corporate law long time ago mate, but must admit do miss the case analysis and constructing arguments with view of dismantling defence councils’ at glance – all in the class room mind you. Fun I found it, but no more!

Keep it up mate; surely we could do with more solicitors and barristers in the impending century - Alas, the 21st had almost lapsed with nothing added to the treasury.

Catch you la^er,

Cheers.

Being here for a while and reading many articles as much as I can, I have noticed something really intersting and couldn't understand the reason why. We have many posters in here from britain as well as the USA and Canada but unfortunatly it seems USA posters are so poorly in grammer( I am not offending anyone here and do excuse me if it seemed that way, but a mere observation of mine..nothing more than that walaahi)to come back to my earlier point, can anyone enlighten me or even give me his/her opinions to what brought it into this. is it because of USA's poor standard of Education.

Abaayadiis iskada wiilsha nooh. let them tuckle it in in anyway the feel like...but to be honest I sometimes dont' understand some of the vocabularies they use but a dictionary at hand helps most of the time.

NGONGE   

It’s probably nothing of the sort. Remember, this is an online forum and not some sort of test. Nobody is being marked on their grammar, spelling or choice and use of words. All that matters is the content and the ideas they put forward. It’s not a competition to find the biggest show-off, dear.

Some people probably like to post their messages and not worry about the style they’re presented in, they might be in a bit of a hurry or they simply don’t care. As for using a dictionary, I think you’ll be better off using a thesaurus.

As long as the posts are clear and convey points in a comprehensible manner, it does not matter how the posts are written.

Liqaye   

Make a desicion to make yourself understood or to make yourself redundant.

Personally i switched off a long time ago.

Nobody is being marked on their grammar, spelling or choice and use of words. All that matters is the content and the ideas they put forward. It’s not a competition to find the biggest show-off, dear.

:D

Sareeda – having had the pleasure to have worked, extensively travelled and associated with people from both countries, I could tell you one thing: intellect and provocative philosophical rationale, which writing is a part, is not something in which US prides itself. Essay or report writing, analytical discourse of diverse genre is not encouraged, perhaps in academia, but neither in corporate nor in real life – this is from experience, thusly subjective. Multiple choice in even scholastic discourse is favoured over other modes of erudition. In fact, one would notice the sharper one is deemed, the less likely America in general [operative] would embrace one. This trend which became rather popular in the 70s in urbanite America, percolated rather gently into rural America with a vengeance, so to speak. Not only is that starkly perceptible in the popular culture and politics, but also in social engagements. Conversely, UK, perhaps uniquely in this category as it arguably differs from the rest of the world in this instance, seems reluctant to embrace attributes of the POP culture.

That being the case, Somalis as almost every other recent immigrant minority tend to embrace the POP culture, warps and all; thusly abhor complexity in all things, thereby failing to tap into the deeper intellectual, cultural aspects of the host nations, US in this instance.

One would observe Somali youngsters clinching on to the worse of conduct, and in language in some Metros, distancing themselves from the primary core values of the host culture, and instead being filtered unfortunately by the side. Conformity and sense of belonging to the wider community is then secured that way. What is forfeited inadvertently however is far greater than realised.

Somalis in Britain have had lengthy historical association with the host nation dating back to the 40s, thusly had moved away from the primal societal stages identifiable in new arrivals as presently observed in Somalis in the US who had technically began immigration in the latter half of the 90s as opposed to their counterparts in Britannia.

Hope that sheds a tiny beam on this awful terrible matter for you.

Got to dash,

Cheers.

Wow, first of all let me say that this page is most interesting i have read so far.

But that is not the point i am trying to make here. the first thing is to a certain person

To: Postman

last time i never told anything not to speak i just voiced my opinion in which i thought i was entitled to the last time i checked. as far as my grammar is in concern i honestly don't care about it because i am not here for you to grade it. i just wrote i as felt like it (not checking and rechecking unlike some people). i don't pride my self in the way i write because to be truthful that its not intelligence. just because you know how to write with big words does not mean that we should be inferior to you or to anybody else. I also do not see how you can take in any pride in writing the english language, cuz the last time i checked thas was not our language.

so check yourself next time.

To: Samauri

in all its honest you seem like a bright kid who knows what he is doing. eventhough i may not agree in the form in which you speak i still think that you are better than others. from the observation i have made in your writing and in your name, it seems to me that you have some fancy towards the language which was spoken in the past. Don't get me wrong because i think that it is interesting you know the way the spoke in all. i have read many books(totally my hobby) and most the i read set deep in the 17th century and i really like the way they spoke but that does know mean i want to speak like the. There are certain times for everything and this is not one of those times.

my last writing is to Sareena if i presume correctly.

if my i am correct you said that we write in bad grammers will the truth is that is not the cause, you seemed to me like an intelligent person and i do not understand how you catogrize everyone into the same position. yes there are some people (saying from postman that i am one of them), but that does not mean everyone does not know how to speal correctly or that i cant use big words but instead they have no desire towards using fancy words.

well it seems to me that i have spoken too long so i will leave it like that.

Peace

FARIID   

I have been prompted to speak out about the way this thread is going. There seems to be a general tendency to use the big words(big guns as a fellow nomad put it). This is like killing a mosquito on your father's forehead with a bazooka!

Much to the bête-noir, irksome perchance, of some in our midst, one in a moment of high liberate of the mind was inspired by the need to inspire the unruly much to our advantage. Irritant it was deemed by some, certain of that I am, yet a mere glance or so, worthwhile I trust the endeavour to have been to oneself, if not for all, or so I divulge.

Now it's either your readers know what bête-noir is or they don't. If they know the meaning they will appreciate your sound knowledge of the appropriate word, if they don't, not only will they have missed meaning but you would have lost them. Lest some people misunderstand me, this is not a green light not to expand one's vocabulary but an emphasis on the rule of thumb 'use the simple word instead of the far fetched'.

I am sure most nomads would agree that some people just force you into submission with the use of big words without advancing their arguments. This is much like the American’s use of ‘Shock & Awe’.

One thing that the 'brain-boxers' have to remember is that we -at least most of us with the exception of the odd sijui- speak English as a second language. It doesn’t help matters if their lordships (samurai and sophist) bombard our poor minds with words that we can hardly pronounce yet alone spell. I will leave my fellow nomads to ponder over this proverb ‘Where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be Wise’.

postman   

My dear Somali-Girl,

Do believe me when I say my intention was not to offend you. Rather it was to appease your hostility. Since you have quite a few times made crude and unworthy remarks about how others write. So do not be dismayed about my comment, for it was not short of a taste of your own medicine. Moreover, I do not consider anyone here inferior, nor do I take pride in writing in English -as apposed to writing in Somali. I employ whatever language I see fit, even though I grew up in the west I still consider Somali to be my first language, and always will have.

Secondly, I think you should understand that any comment directed at Somali-Girl does not necessarily claim to be a fitting assertion of the person behind the handle. All I know you could be a cunning linguist, but as far as I’m concerned Somali-Girl’s prose is ghastly ungrammatical. Having said that, lets try to forgive and forget shall we.

Peace

Xudeedi   

originally posted by Warrior "Essay or report writing, analytical discourse of diverse genre is not encouraged, perhaps in academia, but neither in corporate nor in real life – this is from experience, thusly subjective."

Even in academia, writing is straight line that never zigzags, but the application of diverse genre is highly discouraged as it would take your reader into confounding network of interconnecting sentences. However your writing is very clear and reveals that you are higly skilled in the writing of academia world.

What Postman has alluded, in my view, and to the contrary of yours, apart from the nominative, accusative, and the complex subjective adjuncts, was my refering to the straight line. in writing, you can employ series of subjective adjuncts so long it has nominative at the beginning and accusative cases at the end of each sentence. One sentence can be a complete paragraph while coherant with wisdom, but one should wade up to their knees to master such eloquent style of writing.