Sign in to follow this  
Miskin

HIJAB. Obligation, Oppression or Choice.

Miskin   

We all know that Hijab is an obligatory part of our religion and Muslim women must cover their bodies. However, some people see Hijab as choice, (wear it when you feel like it) while others see it as an oppression against muslim women. What do you think.

Miskin

Warmoog   

I live in a country that has secular governance and doesn't recognize Islamic laws. With that said, I've never used the laws of this land to justify not wearing the hijab by saying it's a 'choice'. Hijab is not a choice... it's mandatory, like prayers and fasting. And during the many years that I was not wearing it, I always knew my actions were against Islam and dambi.

After 9/11, I saw Muslims being antagonized and persecuted. I realized that if I didn't make my status as a Muslim known to the world, I would always feel like a coward for taking the easy way out and just blending in with gaalos . So in 2001, I started wearing the hijab for good and haven't taken it off since. It's my shield, it's my comfort zone, and I love it. My only regret is that I didn't put it on earlier.

Salaamz.

Baashi   

^^What a lady! You have just earn my respect Wallaahi. Good for u Yasmine.

Miskin,

Here is a fitting piece plz read it.

-------

My Body is My Own Business

By Sulata Yusuf Ali

I probably do not fit into the preconceived notion of a "rebel". I have no visible tattoos and minimal piercing. I do not possess a leather jacket. In fact, when most people look at me, their first thought usually is something along the lines of "oppressed female". The brave individuals who have mustered the courage to ask me about the way I dress usually have questions like: "Do your parents make you wear that?" or "Don't you find that really unfair?"

A while back, a couple of girls in Montreal were kicked out of school for dressing like I do. It seems strange that a little piece of cloth would make such controversy. Perhaps the fear is that I am harboring an Uzi underneath it. You never can tell with those Muslim fundamentalists.

Of course, the issue in hand is more than a mere piece of cloth. I am a Muslim woman who, like millions of other Muslim women across the globe, chooses to wear hijaab. There are many different ways to wear it, in essence, what we do is cover our entire bodies except our hands and faces.

If you're the kind of person who has watched a lot of popular movies, you'd probably think of harem girls and belly-dancers, women who are kept in seclusion except for the private pleasure of their male masters. In the true Islamic faith, nothing could be further from the truth. And the concept of hijaab, contrary to the popular opinion, is actually one of the most fundamental aspects of female empowerment.

Whenever I cover myself, I make it virtually impossible for people to judge me according to the way I look. I cannot be categorized because of my attractiveness or lack thereof. Compare this to life in today's society: We are constantly sizing one another up on the basis of our clothing, jewelry, hair-do and makeup. What kind of depth can there be in a world like this?

Yes, I have a body, a physical manifestation upon this earth. But it is the vessel of an intellectual mind and a strong spirit. It is not for the beholder to leer at or to use in advertisements to sell everything from beer to cars. Because of the superficiality of the world in which we live, external appearances are so stressed that the value of the individual counts for almost nothing.

It is a myth that women in today's society are liberated. What kind of freedom can there be when a woman cannot walk down the street without every aspect of her physical self being 'checked out'? When I wear the hijaab I feel safe from all of this. I can rest assured that no one is looking at me and making assumptions about my character from the length of my skirt. There is a barrier between those who would exploit me and myself. I am first and foremost a human being, equal to any man, and not vulnerable because of my sexuality.

One of the saddest truths of our time is the question of beauty myth and female self-image. Reading popular teenage magazines, you can instantly find out what kind of body image is "in" or "out." And if you have the 'wrong' body type, well, then, you're just going to have to change it, aren't you? After all there is no way that you can be overweight and still be beautiful.

Look at any advertisement. Is a woman being used to sell the product? How old is she? How attractive is she? What is she wearing? More often than not, that woman will be no older than her early 20s, teller, slimmer and more attractive than average, dressed in skimpy clothing. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated like this? Whether the '90s wishes to believe it or not, she is being forced into a mould. She is being coerced into selling herself, into compromising herself. This is why we have 13-year-old girls sticking their fingers down their throats and overweight adolescents hanging themselves.

When people ask me if I feel oppressed, I can honestly say no. I made this decision out of my own free will. I like the fact that I am taking control of the way other people perceive me. I enjoy the fact that I don't give anyone anything to look at and that I have released myself from the bondage of the swinging pendulum of the fashion industry and other institutions that exploit females. My body is my own business. Nobody can tell me how I should look or whether or not I am beautiful. I know that there is no more to me than that. I am also able to say 'no' comfortably when people ask me I feel as though my sexuality is being repressed. I have taken control of my sexuality.

I am thankful I will never have to suffer the fate of trying to lose/gain weight or trying to find the exact lipstick shade that will go with my skin color. I have made choices about what my priorities are and these are not among them. So next time when you see me, don't look at me sympathetically. I am not under duress or a male-worshipping female captive from those barbarous (?) Arabian deserts. I've been liberated by Islam.

ijabo   

Miskin...Higab as Yasmine usefully pointed is obligotary. I understand that there are some who may see it as a choice....i think thats because they live in a secular place and they dont have Islamic rules enforcing them to put the higab on.

What interestin is that they see it as a choice because they have no fear or humility for God...but for those who may force them to wear it.

Remember any act u do in life generally must be an act that works towards strenghtening your bond and closeness with God.....it just has to be that way otherwise your life would have been for nothing. Those who see Higab as an option are those who are not interested in nourishing their relationship with God.

Hey we are not all perfect though....some of us pray and dont wear hijab, some of us wear hijab but prayer is difficult.....whatever the reason being a good muslim is not an easy thing to do .....its a life committment filled with tests and trials...this is the condition of what a muslim means and God has stated this in His Holy Book The Quran. Though it gets easier in the end the journey one goes through as a muslim is unique to every individual and is relativey difficult

So be supportive towards those plp .....i think its because they dont know much about Islam that they think that way....beause usually the more you know about God the more you are aware of his presecnce and Judgment. So be supportive and help them. None of us are perfect.

After 9/11, I saw Muslims being antagonized and persecuted. I realized that if I didn't make my status as a Muslim known to the world, I would always feel like a coward for taking the easy way out and just blending in with gaalos.

Ameen! I still remember 9/11 vividly---I was living in university residence at the time, and while watching the news in the common room with the other students, I remember feeling a sense of relief of not wearing the hijab, for fear of their reaction. Now that I do wear the hijab (alhamdullilah a hundred times!), it's an embarrassing memory, but I think is the best reflection of what kept myself, as well as other sisters perhaps, from wearing it.

The bottom line is that a sister really has to want it. I know of several sisters who wear the hijab and act completely against the values of Islam, as well as those who are still unable to pray regularly, mostly due to the hijab being forced upon her without her appreciation or just acting too hastily. The end result in both cases is that sisters often take the hijab off.

Personally, I think it's more important that a sister covers her foundations first---five daily prayers, fasting, involvement in the Muslim community, etc. And inshallah, by the time she decides to put the hijab on, it will feel more natural than anything else.

If you live in a secular country, I think Hijab is a choice (since it isnt forced upon you, you make the choice to wear when you are ready)

In a muslim country it is either forced upon you or pressured by family. For some people it has become a political symbol almost.

Macalin   

Personally, if someone doesnt follow the simple rules set by allah, then i see it that they dont respect ALLAH and if yu cant respect that, then do u think they can respect YOU as a humanbeing? i thnk nt.....

You can take the donkey to the river but you cant force it to drink.

If someone says they dont wanna wear the hijab,its btw them and ALLAH..no need for condemnation!..You can speak against it..however!

For some people it has become a political symbol almost

Interesting how the French government uses that same by-line as their core arguement for the implementation of a law banning hijabs in state-schools. Personally, I find it hard to see the reasoning in that arguement.

Could you elaborate on how you've come to that conclusion, Opinionated? Jazakallahu khairan.

Bashi, “What a lady! You have just earn my respect Wallaahi. Good for u Yasmine.”

Are you telling me you respect Yasmine now just because she wears Hijab? If I were to extrapolate your logic here, will it be fair to say you do not respect Muslim women who do not wear Hijab for whatever reason? That is bullocks mate; you should respect people for who they are and not what they are wearing.

Yasmine you are right, for a Muslim woman Hijab is a compulsory, having said that she still has the right whether to wear it or not. Just like, she has the right to believe or not to believe. If you are wearing Hijab as a political symbol then do not bother, because I do not think from Islamic point of view that was/is the intention of wearing Hijab. But hey you are free to wear whatever pleases you and express yourself in any form or shape—provided you are not harming anyone or breaking any laws of the country where you live.

I don’t agree with France for simple reason they wont be able to achieve what this law aims for; treating its entire citizens equal in the eyes of the law and speed up the process of integration. The reason for this is, different faith groups would set up their own schools and thus, integration would never take place. Hence, the opposite of what the law was intended will take place! But still they have every right to protect their secular system and let us remember is what the majority of the French people want! Furthermore, in a democracy the majority rule.

How come nobody cried or demonstrated when Turkey an Islamic nation implemented this ban over two decades ago or even today nobody is saying anything about Turkey, enlighten me people? In other words, what is the difference between Turkey and France?

Just Cause

Warmoog   

Just Cause,

I wear the hijab for numerous reasons, but using it as a 'political symbol' is not one of them. Even when I wasn't wearing it, I had always planned to do so sometime in the future. I brought that the 9/11 thing up simply because the event forced me to re-evaluate my priorities. And, consequently, I chose to wear it sooner as opposed to later.

Sis you're entailed to your own views, but as far as France's hijab ban is concerned I think it's a poorly masked attempt to stifle something they feel threatened by and secularism serves as a convenient excuse. If they were secular in every sense of the word, why are so many of their national holidays Christian religious celebrations (ex: all saints day, christmas, assumption of the blessed virgin day, etc.)?

Whether it's in France or Turkey, I don't believe any government has the right to illegalize religious symbols and garments being worn out of choice... regardless of whether they be hijabs, Jewish yarmulkes, or large Christian crosses. They pose no harm to wearers or those around them. Last time I checked, there were no bullets or lasers shooting out of my scarf.

Salaamz.

Hi Yasmine,

I am glad to hear you are wearing Hijab for reasons other than being political symbol. Before we go any further let me just say I am not a female, thus you don’t have to address me as sis!

No nation is secular in every sense of the word for the simple reason; the secularism of every society is derived from their religious heritage and in the case of France, this happens to be Christianity. Hence, why they will celebrate and continue to celebrate these holidays even though majority of its citizens are not even practising Christians.

I am not in favour of governments of big brother type or live in a nanny state. However, we have to acknowledge most of the times democratically elected governments introduce legislations that are popular with their citizens and in France; the majority of the population (even half of the Muslim population) favour this legislation. Therefore, this is what gives the government the right to illegalize the Hijab and other religious symbols. On the other hand, in Turkey the majority of the people are not in favour of the ban and therefore, I say we should focus our energies there.

Just Cause

Baashi   

Originally posted by Just Cause:

Bashi, “What a lady! You have just earn my respect Wallaahi. Good for u Yasmine.”

Are you telling me you respect Yasmine now just because she wears Hijab? If I were to extrapolate your logic here, will it be fair to say you do not respect Muslim women who do not wear Hijab for whatever reason? That is bullocks mate; you should respect people for who they are and not what they are wearing.

I’m not telling you anything Mr. JC. Knowing what being black and being a practicing Muslim means in the West, I sure do admire folks like Yasmine and many other countless Muslim sisters who didn’t take the easy way out.

For me there is nothing more humbling than to see a young beautiful Somali muxajabah wearing Hijab for the sake of Allah. Think about it! She could put her shorts and top tank on and reveal all her curves and make the heads turn! There is no limitation of what attire she could try on: long, short, revealing, not-so-revealing, T-shirts, short skirts, pants, etc.

However, these sisters chose the hard way and they are ready to endure hostile looks and every day discrimination cuz their conscious wouldn’t allow them to follow their wishy-washy feelings and forsake Islam.

To answer your questions, Yes I respect her for her fortitude and stamina because faint and faltering woman wouldn’t embrace Hijab at the time Yasmine said she made the decision.

NO. I don’t disrespect gaalo let alone Muslim women who don’t wear Hijab if that is what your fuzzy logic showed you. We are not perfect (including me) and there is ALWAYS room for improvement. It is fair to say though that I do not admire them for being “cariyad”. I can admire their intellect, manners, kindness, etc. You feel me now JC. Aight.

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum,

I started wearing the hijab last year because I always knew that it was mandatory in Islam.At the beginning, I felt unconfortable about the idea of wearing a piece of fabric on top of my head ,but I thought intention was more important.

So first ,I started praying ,then I wore a fabric the same way black girls do, then when I got used to that,I switched to the hijab.I wore the hijab by choice because its one of Allah's commandments and as a muslim , its what I had to do.

Concerning the hijab's ban in France , I think its unfortunate that it happened, many muslim girls will have to face great challenges. But I think it was at the same time a wake-up call to all muslims to remind them that they are in a non-muslim country and they need to have their own private schools.

I saw a French documentary about a 14 years-old girl who chose to quit school because she didnt want to take her hijab off.Even her own father begged her to take it off so ,she can get some education , she refused. Now throughout a muslim association, she takes some private lessons, Mashallah!!!

The hijab is a real issue in France, not only in schools but in the workplace too.I think the president is avoiding this issue.

Concerning the hijab in Turkey ,Im puzzled that a muslim country is banning it Subxanallah!!!For what reasons? To attract the West?

Pacifist   

Bismilahi Rahmani Rahmim

All Praise is due to ALLAH

Assalamu Alaikum to my gracious brothers and sisters.

First i would like to thank Somaliaonline for creating a site very useful and meaningful. I was searching for this kind of website for a long time. It is so nice to exchange ideas with my fellow lads. All praise to the moderators of this site. may allah show you much mercy on yoll. I will surely not miss the likes of somalinet.

Secondly

OHH the wonders of Hijab Walahi i just wish i have done this way earlier in my life. I am free from the abuse of the fashion industry and at the same time pleasing ya Allah and most of all myself. I am not oppressed I am liberated I am free. I have much respect and dignity for myself. And best of all i am getting closer to ALLAH.

Salaam

Salaam aliakum...

i Think to me the Hijaab, is a way of expressing my self it has become part of me,

everything takes some getting used to, so does the Hijaab, it took me a while to adopt to it but with the Hijaab comes Great responsibilities, the Hijaab is a sign that u are a muslimah. Secondable, you are showing others,the beauty of being spiritual because it is a spiritual thing when u wear the hijab it's a BIG commitment, i Myself noticed i had to watch myself in public because i didn't wanna give other people the wrong impression, so i see myself as a Muslimah that is Covered, but it doesn't stop there , Now that am covered i have to defend that and i get really sad when i see a Covered sista, and shes not feeling the true Purpose, am not very good at approaching sista's and telling them they are wrong,,, but hey, i've to work on myself before i can do that..

the Bottom Line is i LoooVe wearing the Hijab Al7hamdulillah, i ThanK Allah, and i love behaving like. a hijabed sister because, I Like the idea of not caring about what other people think of me, because i have a mission in this world and that mission is to Please ALLAH and only Allah...

Allah Hafiz