Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

The Ideology of Islamic Fundamentalism

EDITOR'S INTRODUCTION | The fall of the communist bloc left western ideologists temporarily without a sparring partner. Islamic radicals have to some extent been employed by the west to fill the vacancy. In this extract from his book The Arab Predicament, Fouad Ajami follows the work of Muhammad Jalal Kishk in an attempt to understand one approach to the intellectual workings behind Islamic fundamentalism

READ ON HERE...QUITE INTERESTING

**** Fouad Ajami,

He's not better then Danyeer Pipes or Oriana Fallecio.

This people are nothing but islamphobic ****s

I hate this western worshipping donkey lover.

He's opinions are not worth anything.

Brother Tony I suggest you re-read the article carefully now. It talks about the Arab social structures and their failures and what could have attributed to that. I think its quite interesting. Keep an open mind......

Just had a quick peruse on a couple of the articles and I think the are mainly reviews of his works. I have to admit though that he knows best his people and alot of what he says has an element of truth. However, I to find the articles most fascinating in his attempt to make the Americans saviours and the Arabs in the region nothing but blood suckers. I would say though he pro western in his approach, alot of what he says about the Arab ways of life makes sense and we are not talking religion here.

Thanks for the articles

Fouad Ajami is an opportunist with no journalistic principles whatsoever. Hes out there just to please the Americans and say whatever they want to hear. No objectivity no partiality. I wonder how he can live with himself. I also think he should change his Arabic name so he wont fool the masses with it.

May I ask why you say so? Is it because what he writes mostly isnt favouring the Arabs or is it because you believe he is totally biased? Dont you think when looking at it from an objective point of view, some of the stuff that he talks about are true albeit them being negative?

What I dont agree with in this case is blaming Religion for their under development.

One of the reasons I posted the article was for to check out Kishk's analysis and Ajamis though he was commenting on the writings of Kishk's.

Zaylici   

Thr auther is very confused, for he relies anti marxist to portray marxism, moreover, he rejects cultural borrowing, in so doing, he forgets that Muslim civilisation flourished because of its inheritance from Greek Civilisation, Muslims acheived greatness in variety of areas after they have transilated Greek sceinces and philosophy, dara AL- hikmah( or the house of the wisdom) is witness to this, he is simply an ethnocentrist, a man who blinds himself because of religious fanatisim, how could he be proud to the emperial envasion and seige of Viana, and yet accuse the west of emperialism, you cannot be proud that you have enslaved someone, while you yourslef refuse to be inslaved, such reasoning, is wrong, unless we tolerate his generalisations on religious grounds, that unless we think he is right, simply because he is muslim, however, Quran is against such judgment, for the Quran says, walaa yajrimanakum shanaanut qawmin calaa alaa tacdiluu( which transilates roughly, do not let your self the animosity that you have for some group deviate you from what is just, ) I am not Marxisit, not leberal, however, some of their ideas and what they did to their societies are remarkably human acheivement, the auther himself has benifited from the west, and many of us are int the west benifiting from them, we better be partial not Zealous religious fanatics who because of their hate of AMeriacan invasion in Iraq and dominaton of the midddle east unleash all of forms of prejudices to ther west and the thinking pattern in the west.

"...the auther himself has benifited from the west, and many of us are int the west benifiting from them, we better be partial not Zealous religious fanatics who because of their hate of AMeriacan invasion in Iraq and dominaton of the midddle east unleash all of forms of prejudices to ther west and the thinking pattern in the west."

Hi Zaylici,

I try to stay from politics based on religion or ethnicity for the simple reason, they classify people like insects and thus a whole blocks of millions or tens of millions of people can be confidently labelled "good" or "bad"! Having said that, I could not help myself from adding my two cents to this post and they are; you are one 100% right in what you said above. However, let me point out one fact, I am different to you since I lean towards the left of the political spectrum and that makes a liberal-- which you said you are not!

Just Cause

Viking   

Kishk calls it "cultrural invasion", I think it's more like CULTURAL EROSION. "Fundamentilism" has been the response to the inclusion of Muslims in the capitalist system led by the west and Islam has been lost in the process.

Another reason is the failure of the nationalist secular èlite who have long been puppets of the west and have with time come to despise their own people. Thinking of them as being "backward". They have in way tried to dissolve the heritage and old traditions of their people and tried to replace it with western-modernisation (westernisation). Mustapha Attaturk and Pahlavi Shah are extreme examples of such leaders.

Just Cause,

Nice to see you.